Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sunak appears to be disliked and distrusted by the Tory faithful (ironically, it might be because he is not a Tory Eton toff / idiot with a plummy accent and is largely seen as an outsider who came into politics via a completely different route).

They are definitely screwed at the next election. Even their many right wing press pals can't pin the current economic disaster on Labour, Nicola Sturgeon, the EU or anyone else.....everyone knows who has caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Did Javid get overlooked by Sunak for a portfolio or did he take himself out of the running?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Deleted.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't imagine him being overlooked. He's a seasoned minister and I don't think he's ever had beef with the PM. I think it's more likely that he's going to go back into the private sector, at least for now. The Tories are looking at least half a decade in opposition at best.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Zahawi (Tory chairman this week, a myriad of front bench jobs in recent months) goes on Television and says an NHS staff strike would help Putin. That's the level they're stooping to at present, Nurses and Paramedics just looking for decent pay and conditions are helping to invade Ukraine. Not sure Chris Morris could do any better than that kind of sh*t. He also said the Army could be brought in to break a strike. Not sure where he thinks all the UK armed forces Nurses, QARANC usually work since all the Military Hospitals were closed (clue: 3 letters, starts with an N and ends with a S)

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Mad stuff....how do they think such a pronouncement is a good idea?

Particularly when it's the Royal College of Nursing he's baiting, about as far away from a militant trade union as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Over here in my part of London the attitude is: Meh, we've stopped paying attention to how low they want to stoop. Pretty sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,425 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

UK government doesn't seem to be doing very much to try to avert or mitigate the coming wave of strikes. I think they're banking on the public blaming The Left, rather than the government, for the strikes and the damage they case, so there'll be a rerun of the Winter of Discontent of 1978-79, with the same boost for Tory poll ratings.

The big difference, of course, is that in 1978-79 Labour was in power, so whether you blamed unions or the government for public sector strikes you were blaming the left. Now, the Tories are in power, and they have been for over a decade, during which they have presided over savage austerity and a systematic degradation of public services which is being experienced by all. It's quite possible that the public will find that, when the nurses are on strike, NHS services are not much worse than when the nurses are working normally. An old, mad, blind, despised and dying government is probably unwise to bank on the public laying all the blame for public sector strikes at the feet of the unions.

See my previous post. Yes the Conservatives are phucked but a lot of people (myself included) have disengaged from politics and already decided not to vote at the next GE. My brother over in Amersham is more positive..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Apparently, Zahawi was saying that nurses shouldn't strike to send a strong message to Putin. This is the same Zahawi who claimed nearly £6,000 in expenses to heat his stables.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 26,425 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think the Tories might have sent a strong message to Putin themselves by not accepting large donations from people linked to Russian oligarchs, not handing out peerages to Russian oligarchs, and not providing a variety of enticing money-laundering opportunities to Russian oligarchs. And, of course, by not Brexiting.

Given that they elected to pass up on all these opportunities for sending messages to Putin, they don't have a huge amount of credibility when suggesting that others should do things that, if we're honest, seem much less likely to send any clear message to Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's a really odd line to take. Obviously, they have nothing else to really make the argument on so they opt for the nationalistic line, but it seems a dangerous line to take. As one commentator pointed out if Putin was to make gains in Ukraine, will the nurses be held responsible? It is quite the journey to go from capping the NHS heroes to calling them out for siding with Putin, and as such enemies of the state.

It's not, really. They've done this to themselves. Even during the pandemic, their top concern was funnelling money to their friends while engaging in non-stop performative cruelty.

They know they're on the hook for this winter, whatever happens. There isn't a Labour government to blame and the public largely back the strikers.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The 'winter of discontent' was in 1978/79 when the Tories had a leader of some character - Thatcher.

Who is the current Tory Prime Minister this week?

In other news, it looks like secretive Tory donor Crispin Odey is in serious trouble:

This seems to be getting very little coverage on most major news sources.

The Twitter thread is worth a read. It's pretty nasty though these are only accusations as of now.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

No surprise that it wouldn't be covered by the BBC anyway, given that the new Chairman is Rishi Sunak's old boss at Goldman Sachs, and their new director of news programmes is ex-GB News.

@ancapailldorcha

Apparently, Zahawi was saying that nurses shouldn't strike to send a strong message to Putin.

Dunno about you but I have long stopped wondering how low this rabble can sink.

Edit: I posted this before seeing the Crispin stuff on the next page..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hoping that the GB public somehow blame Labour for the strikes seems very, very risky. I don't think I've ever heard of a scenario where a country was bedevilled by strike action and industrial unrest and the opposition gets blamed. This is a Tory government with an 80 seat majority and which has been in power for twelve years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

There likely will be a winter of discontent, and if the Tory government are banking on gaslighting the British public yet again by way of coping strategy, they’re on a hiding to nothing.

Irrespective of one’s politics, you can’t but admire the sterling work that Mick Lynch has been doing for the image of unions and speaking very uncomfortable truths to power over the past few months.

Not the most representative of polls, but meant to be illustrative. Public sentiment about strikers as expressed in polls suggests that expressing positions in a clear, logic, articulate and quiet-but-firm manner, and explaining these positions with supporting evidence, seems to work.

There is little doubt that widespread loathing at a demonstrably inept, venal and carefree government must be amplifying the effect, and never more so than since the cost of living crisis started to bite hard.

It may well not be Lynch’s doing, whether in whole or part, but the man has been getting tremendous following on most SM platforms. Deservedly IMHO. This isn’t Scargill or Corbyn haranguing with the Internationale playing in the background.

• Advertisement

I like Lynch but would disagree with him on a few things, most notably Brexit. I absolutely support any and all strikes. It's about time someone stood up to the mess that's passing for a government here. Ideally, that'd be Labour but they're in a bit of a stupid place at the moment.

I can't see how we make it to 2024 without an election. That's over 12 months more of this crippled, venal, and incompetent government that can't legislate at all.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

And likewise

(I’m anything but a pro-union type with left political leanings: I just recognise and acknowledge skillfullness, used well😉)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I feel like Lynch is one of those older lefties whose support for Brexit was coloured by a resting hostility towards the EU as an entity itself; the harder-left who see the bloc as undemocratic, or anti-worker. I don't agree with that, but the hard-left europhobe has been a bit of a dying breed in the UK & Ireland (not so on the Continent mind you).

However, Lynch is clearly a very learned, intelligent and rational individual, where even if I might fail to find common ground with him WRT the EU, we could still have a conversation without it descending into sloganeering or dogma. I've heard his anti-EU screeds and while I don't agree with them, they're clearly thought out and from a place of consideration.

And this is why he's probably the most popular political figure ATM: he's a reminder of what states-people are supposed to be; the adults in the room, making the tough decisions and speaking truths to folk without finding a scapegoat to other, or speaking in platitudes.

A little off topic but I quite enjoy reading history books and, while a lot of great people in history did awful, awful things, they were often quite skilled in one regard or another. Today, we just get plain venality.

I think a lot of the old left aren't fond of immigration. That's not, of course, to say that they're fans of Stephen Yaxley-Lennon or anything but I think this comes into play more than people think. I've known a few to say that it's a scam to bring down wages with nothing really to back it up. The stuff about sovereignty and democracy I can understand without agreeing with.

Regarding Lynch himself, it's refreshing to see someone who isn't a venal imbecile in the political scene for a change. Starmer has some decent ideas but he's largely invisible and Sunak is too busy posturing about illegal migration without actually doing anything about it.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the pro-Brexit left types saw it as a mechanism to essentially go back in time.

Britain would open factories again, wages would be driven up due to labour shortages caused by lower immigration etc. They view the EU as very capitalist, against state aid, against nationalistation and a blocker to the high tax economy they wanted.

Honestly, I don't think they ever got over Thatcher to be honest. A lot of the stuff people like Owen Jones were coming out with a decade ago boiled down to rolling back Thatcherism and Blairism.

With regards to Brexit, I completely agree. A lot of the trade union types IME see free movement as a way to undercut workers' wages. There's also a myth doing the rounds that being in the EU means we can't have the NHS. Ignoring the wreck that is the NHS, it's been there since 1948. It's going nowhere.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably as time goes on more unions will join this list...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

This Harvard academic cites his own research to come to the conclusion that immigration does undercut wages.

He has literally dozens of papers on this topic, you will need acces to JSTOR to read some of them but others are free on Harvard.edu. Google "george j borjas immigration study" for links to several papers.

Of course the Cato Institute and other libertarian think-thanks have flooded the internet with their own "research" which supposedly shows it doesn't.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker of "dey tuk err jawbs!!" joke are fully signed up Cato Institute libertarians.

I haven't seen any specifically British-based studies but there may be some.

None of this is relevant here since this thread is about the UK. I'm not going to research your argument for you, especially given your attempt at poisoning the well.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Abstract principles of economics don't change from one country to another.

Since you won't admit academic studies as evidence I conclude that your mind is simply made up beforehand. Good luck to you.

Advertisement