Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why inheritance is the dirty secret of the middle classes – harder to talk about than sex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A lazy dumb comparison that ignores all the disproportion of local property markets.

10,000 shares are 10,000 shares, here or on the moon. Children inheriting a 2,000 sq ft house in Leitrim will pay zero inheritance tax. Same house in parts of Dublin, probably 200,000k in tax. On a house already paying higher stamp duty, mortgage interest, LPT and whatever else for its whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You can give anybody 3k per year tax free (that's officially, if you give them another ball of cash or buy them one4all vouchers or whatever nobody will know). Assuming you have 2 children and are going to live for 20 more years, that's 120k you can bequeath while you are alive. Your wife can do the same, so that's 240k.

After that your children will get 670k between them free gratis after you die, so you are already at over 1m or so tax free (not including the cash money). For every €1 over that they keep €0.66, so I think they'd be happy either way

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Should be able to inherit it tax free because tax was paid on the building of it. Tax was paid on everything purchased to furnish it, clean it, heat it, property tax itself..tax paid on the insuring of it…

why should an asset that’s being given to a person by family member be taxed in addition…? It shouldn’t…..but even more burdens shall be added to the Irish taxpayers as a means of funding every bit of cash going towards fixing every problem for everyone else in the world.

If it’s sold at a later date, or when rather…. A shed load more tax gets paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's fine. Do away with all gift tax. Will be helpful for every high earner in the country. They will never have to pay any income tax ever again

Not even close to the same premise. A disingenuous statement :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

ARTICLE 43

1     1° The State acknowledges that man, in virtue of his rational being, has the natural right, antecedent to positive law, to the private ownership of external goods.

2° The State accordingly guarantees to pass no law attempting to abolish the right of private ownership or the general right to transfer, bequeath, and inherit property.

2     1° The State recognises, however, that the exercise of the rights mentioned in the foregoing provisions of this Article ought, in civil society, to be regulated by the principles of social justice.

2° The State, accordingly, may as occasion requires delimit by law the exercise of the said rights with a view to reconciling their exercise with the exigencies of the common good.

Irish citizens have the right of 'private ownership or the general right to transfer, bequeath, and inherit property' under the constitution but I'm not sure to what extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I mean it feels too obvious to say but is that not an incredibly lazy, dumb comparison?

They'll pay tax on the Dublin house because of the horror of being handed something far more valuable that the people in Leitrim. These kids in Dublin are still winning the lotto and getting the vast majority of an expensive asset at zero cost to them.

This is one that always blows my mind when it's discussed, everyone loses all sense of reason. Intergenerational wealth is a pox on society and has been for all of recorded history, our tax rate is amazingly low on it all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Using your example, the person in Leitrim gets a 200k asset for free and the person in Dublin gets a 1m euro asset for around 200k - or 800k cleared. I know which one I would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You most ceryainly are: your position is that people who inherit should pay large sums of cash to the State, is it not?

And if the inheritance is in the form of an asset they can not sell, where does the cash come from?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You can't figure out that with a zero gift tax rate, the man previously on 1m a year salary might decide to work for 1 Euro a year .......... and instead happen to receive a gift of 1m

• Advertisement

money from paid work vs inherited.. two different things..can be seen as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

By "amazingly low", you mean "almost the highest in the world"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are there any figures published on how much the revenue commissioners take in from the tax? Or the average size of an estate at the point the will is being executed?

Anyway, I've no kids. I've five nieces and nephews. Maybe I'll direct in my will that they each get allocated one fifth of my estate to donate to a charity of their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Theoretically but not practically. A family in Dublin are not going to sell the home to buy farmland. It might be the case that very wealthy people do it, but that just supports my case. I inheritance tax does not affect the very wealthy, farmers (rural lobby) or business owners in the same way as it affects families with only a home (the lowest level of "wealth") to pass on.

No, of course they don't but you get some suggesting IT should be 100%, look at the comments on the guardian article. I love the guardian for the different perspective (and also the odd laugh). Here is another one, https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/17/i-havent-borrowed-money-from-my-mother-since-1994-but-if-the-banks-wont-lend-me-any-

Borrowing money for a house off your parents in your 50's. It certainly isn't my world as I grew up in an average working class family.

"Lowest level of wealth" = House worth 1.1m Euro as per example above.

A gift is a gift

Who are you to judge if my very good friend the mercedes dealer gifts me a 100k merc for Christmas? And I happen to gift him 100k in cash. That will be a gift to him, not income. No tax for him either.

Great plan

The issue I have is really that all wealth should be treated the same. There shouldn't be exemptions for farming land or businesses. This is where the real wealth is and if the objective is to prevent inter-generational wealth concentration it would make sense to tackle this.

A million euros isn't a lot of money anymore. People inherit many multiples of that in businesses or farms. I am certainly not a victim. I will be able to get the inheritance threshold of 335k to each of my 2 kids when they are in their early thirties as it is far better to get it early. I won't feel like I have to apologise for it either, I have worked hard enough and come from nothing to be in the position to be able to do that.

Seeing as you are defensive about the agricultural property relief (maybe you are from a farming background?), can you explain the logical/moral reason why it is treated differently to passing on a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why 1 or 2 million? Why such arbitrary figures? What about the difference between inheriting a house in Dublin vs Leitrim and the associated costs?

I think you are using the tiniest example of "bad" intergenerational wealth to make everyone suffer.

In any case, depending on the number of kids, 0% would go to the state anyway, so the wealth stays within the same family. Yet if there was 1 kid they get screwed.

The reason for relief for passing on business assets is to prevent businesses being forced to close.

Suppose you run a shop with your parents. You employ a few other locals too.The shop "assets" are worth a fair bit as it is in the middle of the village even though the income is not great. Your parents pass away. There would be no logic to the taxpayer in having you close down the shop, destroying the business, your job and other people's jobs, so that you can sell the property to pay tax

The conditions under which you avail of these reliefs are the same for anyone who wishes to avail of them. They are open to everyone. You can buy a shop in a village even if your grew up in Dublin. You can buy one in Dublin if you want. Or any other business

As it stands, not everyone who inherits these things can avail of them now. Inherit a farm worth 2m? You won't get Ag relief if you are working in Dublin and have a house valued at more than 500k (actually it's all assets cumulative. For 1m your limit would be 250k for assets for you to qualify). Inherit a business worth 1m - you don't get business relief unless you have been working in the business. Etc etc. There are other criteria you need to satisfy for either

• Advertisement

I dont have an issue, the point was that why should some people get money (and housing) from the state yet others end up paying for a gift.

"tax for the wealthy" again with the presumption that someone getting an inheritance is somehow wealthy.

and yeah, I know how maths works thanks!

Where is the intergenerational wealth that posters like yourself keep bringing up? Do we have a royal family that I'm unaware of?

How many of your cousins are you still in contact with? How about your kids and their kids?

This idea that there are vast swathes of these incredibly wealthy families all living on a commune somewhere sharing bags of money is just insane. Generational wealth in Ireland largely comes from family businesses being passed from generation to generation, not by people leaving their houses to their bloody kids.

Farmland would just be sold on to other local farmers if the children were unable to pay the tax. The state could become a passive part owner in a small business until they could be bought out later?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Because you assume the 550k is cash and already dissolved, when in reality it's the value of a solid asset, obviously, so I have to point out -again - the flaw in thinking that everyone who inherits has shitloads of money (in this case 75,000 euro) lying around that they can transfer to the State.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its not about punishing the children. Its about fixing the economy

The fact that a house in Dublin is unaffordable is because of wealth inequality

Ireland's wealth is distributed more unequally than gross income

This means that over time, prices will become more and more unaffordable to most working people, and assets will be accumulated, more and more by the people who have the most wealth.

For a functioning economy, we need to reward work, and we need workers to be able to afford to pay for the things they need to survive, including housing

By not taxing wealth we end up that wealth concentrating into a small group of elites, with asset prices increasing beyond the grasp of working people.

Ireland isn't the worst place for this, the UK and US are much much worse than Ireland, but we can already see the housing crisis where houses are unaffordable, and then rents go up.

Life is much much easier for the wealthy who can use all kinds of schemes intended to allow them to keep as much of their wealth while avoiding tax.

Currently a child can inherit 335k tax free from their parents and pay 33% tax on anything above that.

Wealthy families have already created trust funds, tax free for their children of 6k per year so by the time their children are 18, they'll already have 108k in the bank, and they can continue to receive these 6k a year payments for as long as both parents are alive without affecting their inheritance at all.

If you didn't have a trust fund worth north of 100k by the time you're old enough to drink (adjusted for inflation), then you're not in the same category as the people I think need to be targeted with wealth taxes.

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I bet that sounded better in your head.

Do you think Revenue would construe the exchange of a car for cash as gift giving by both parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Inheritance tax indirectly gives corporations more power over ordinary people - inheritance tax stops families from accumulating wealth over generations, whereas corporations can continue to grow unabated.

Over 100s of years a family may build up their wealth and assets, then lose a big chunk to inheritance, build up again, lost more. Corporate entities can continue to grow with no obstacles in that time. Given enough time corporations would own most assets in the world, as actual people are hit with punitive taxes during the passing of wealth to next generation, need to sell, corporate giants dont have the same penalties and can hoover up more assets.

Wealthy individuals are far more likely to be genuinely altruistic with their money than corporations, because corporate entities must prioritise shareholder profit above all else. They give to charity when it will improve their PR or tax situation, they do not exist to operate altruistically. Tackling the wealthy individual makes a great soundbite, but it isnt wealthy individuals exploiting you, the environment, housing markets. Its the wealthy corp.

And before someone reads this and assumes speaking ill of giant MNCs == communism, communism is for bitter failures jealous of other people's wealth. Ironically a large cross section of same are supporters of inheritance taxes

CAT = Capital Acquisitions Tax. It is the tax on a gift.

Why would you currently transact the transfer of a car as a gift? Both parties would be subject to 33% tax on the entire transaction amount. I think you didn't think it through

You're still having difficulty understanding it seems. Try to think about what you would do in both scenarios below

Scenario 1: You have to pay 75k tax

Scenario 2: You have to pay 0 tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Our GINI coefficient has increased from ..6 to .8 in the past 12 years

This means fewer and fewer people are controlling higher proportion of wealth in Ireland. If we don't do anything and this trend continues, we'll get to a point where all of the wealth is owned by a tiny group of people, and the people no longer own anything (this means they rent their homes, and owe more money in debt than they own in property (their clothes, posessions etc)

Advertisement