Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The grant needs to go!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Switched over to electric in the summer. replaced my fairly average monthly ~€500 diesel cost with a €90 electric cost for the same kilometers.

No pcp involved, but if there had been I would still probably be out on top. Even if I wasn't, I would go even more for the satisfaction of moving away from a fossil fuel car which is effectively doomed. EVs are nicer to drive than diesels (and petrols), and generally have better tech courtesy of more recent builds.

The key to enjoying this new path was moving quickly to avail of benefits offered. No dithering, just get the finger out and arrange the home charger (€550 net), sign up for an electricity plan that makes, and be smart about your driving.

Aside from fuel costs my servicing has reduced significantly - some of that is by way of it being a new car, and of it is by way of the absence of a fuel burning engine and all the related fluids and pipework under the hood. Motor tax is also lower - the jump might be less for others but mine was a decent drop.

And then you have the (albeit less tangible) environmental benefit - which will be perceived differently by everyone. Not visiting a fuel station since the switch was a nice bonus - among the savings there, apart from never dripping fuel on myself again, I don't miss those useless little purchases that the retailers crave you make - the coffee you don't really want but you're bored, the overpriced chicken subs you definitely don't need but hey you're not sure what lunch will be like today or maybe you already missed it. Nope, don't miss fuel stations at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Until we stop lumping all cars that marketing teams call an SUV into a single statistical category (J-Class) it's very hard to take any meaningful insight. The aggregated reports treat a Yaris Cross and a BMW X7 as the same type of vehicle.

The linked report states that moving from larger vehicles to smaller vehicles results in lower LCA emissions, this is 100% correct, but it's not the fact a marketing team labelled the car an SUV that makes the car a massive resource consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The “grant” simply needs to go, if Declan and Mary want to purchase their Korean box for €40k plus then a few extra thousand on top isn’t going to stop them, society would be better served if the government gave out free e-bikes instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Private Transportation is one of the biggest emitters in Ireland which is why it's a focus to reduce, it's also much easier to change an individual's mode of transportation than it is to conduct a widespread demolition of our suburban neighbourhoods and to rebuild them as liveable communities where we can have the density required to support a proper layered public transport network and for people to conduct most of their lives without resorting to private transportation.

As long as we allow situations like the outrage at the development next to the Dundrum Luas line, we've decided that private transport is king. It's going to a brave politician who rolls on a platform of flatten the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Thats a bit of an extreme Hobson's choice. Maintain the grant or abolish our suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think they really muddied the water with the electrification element, particularly when you look at the recommendations:

"Besides the generic recommendation that battery supply (actual and planned) should be monitored and potential bottlenecks anticipated by industry and governments, two specific policy recommendations follow from these conclusions:

The reversal of the trend towards larger cars in Europe is likely to be helpful to meet the climate goals pledged;

Incentivising lower levels of motorisation should be considered."

Both of those are variations on consume less. Nothing to do with electrification.

The problem with car dependant suburbs is that they tend to create a dependency on cars. It's hard to fix that without major redevelopment.

In the meantime we've still got high emissions from private transport which needs to be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Tax credit is the least preferable, as I said. Don't focus on it.

Tax exemption, a flat one, with no limit, is the best and the simplest. No convoluted calculations. The onus is on the consumer to get it, which serves as a PR for the government. And it's the cheapest to admin for the Gov also.

The Irish market is too small

No, it's not. See Norway, Sweden, Finland, Austria. You will be always small if you think small..

If you want 1M EVs you need to think big. Copy Norway, copy Norway, copy Norway.

No VAT, no VRT, no motor tax for EVs. And increase the VRT for ICE based on poloution.

Norwegian market is similar to the Irish one, it's a very similar country in terms of population and car fleet, amongst the richest in the EEA, both have a high VAT, both have a VRT tax (not common in the rest of the EU). Norwegian policies push both the demand and the supply and 112000 EVs were delivered last year, compared to 8600 EVs in Ireland. That's 13 times more.

Where there's a demand the supply will try to adjust. There's no critical supply as some are saying here.

You're saying that carmakers wouldn't jump on the opportunity if EV demand was stimulated by better policies. This is false as evidenced by Norwegian sales.

Norway gets 100k units, Ireland gets 10k units a year, the EU gets 2M units a year. There's a supply. Yes, the supply is constrained somewhat but saying that government policies don't do anything to supply and should be abandoned in early adopter phase is completely wrong. This is exactly what the Irish gov is saying now and this is harmful to the objectives.

Also, the free market will not sort this out @ELM327@ELM327@ELM327

Did Norway or Sweden or the Netherlands use a free market solution to become the most advanced EV markets in the world? No. Heavy taxation of ICE, exemptions on EV and EV perks did.

Norway:

You can do free market once you have the market dynamics. Niche market (5%) in a corrupted/badly regulated market isn't a market. If you want to wait for the market to sort this out then you're up for a long wait. It would never happen in Ireland with current dynamics... There simply isn't enough demand at the price on offer to be met by weak supply. The demand isn't high enough as long as ICE cheaper and there are no other incentives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Does that make your electric more expensive during peak hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you're smart you don't buy any electricity during peak hours 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Anyone with a couple of braincells to rub together will already be on night rate electricity with or without an EV. Easy to switch a good percentage of power use to off-peak times. Day rate increases by about 1c and standing charge is marginally higher. Add an EV to the mix and it's a no-brainer.

Now....to add a nice battery later and only buy night rate. That is the plan alongside solar.

Stay Free

I have a 20kWh battery and of the electricity I buy from the grid, about 95% was at night rate, that was with my old inverter, with my new one and a bigger battery that's on the way it might go to about 98%. In winter. In summer it's very close to 100%

In the last 2 months (just sent in a meter reading) I bought approx 50 units from day rate and 1900 night rate. Those 50 units were a mix of balance (ie demand shoots up and it takes a second for the inverter to catchup) or badly timed showers! It's not particularly relevant to the grant thread but anyone with storage should be as close to 100% night rate as practicable.

On the free market comments - of course the free market wont sort it out. You want a desired specified outcome, this isnt what the free market does. So you have to incentivize like you rightly showcase the norway egolf example.

That's carrot and stick, we don't have enough of either. Remove the grant. Then set 0% VAt and VRT for EVs.

When you say grant needs to go, you're actually asking for the grant to increase from its current €5,000 direct and €5,000 VRT relief to a full VAT and VRT rebate. That's an increase to any grant and removes the targeting feature designed to limit the benefits to lower priced vehicles.

What practical purpose does a flat tax exemption serve at purchase time vs the application of a grant applied at the time of purchase?

Either way it has to be applied for, and to the purchase. A €5,000 tax exemption and a €5,000 grant are exactly the same. Both cost the exchequer the same amount and will require administration to ensure it is correctly applied to an eligible purchase.

Yes. The norway model. But it's not a grant. Remove the grant, and thus the subsidy to OEMs, and instead replace it with zero vat and zero vrt. No subsidy to any OEM.

In Norway with no taxes the Ioniq 5 starts at a higher on-the-road price than Ireland where we have VAT and VRT. Pricing is a function of the markets willingness to pay, I don't think you'd move the needle on the consumer prices, instead you'd just increase the margin in a way that results in increased sales due to the fact you've increased the subsidy to OEMs by indirectly allowing them to sell the car for a higher pre-tax price.

Everything is more expensive in norway. It's the price relative to competitors in market that you have to look at

• Advertisement

OTR pricing looks to be quite sticky across the EU irrespective of the incentives in a given location, which goes back to my principal point that a manufacturer will sell a car at a given price point, and incentives merely adjust the margin available to them instead of the price the consumer pays.

If we wanted to emulate Norway, you'd be looking at massive tax increases across combustion engine vehicles. We could achieve that with increases in VRT rates based on emissions, but it would get a lot of push back from SIMI.

@liamog - "If we wanted to emulate Norway, you'd be looking at massive tax increases across combustion engine vehicles."

Yes please 😁

Yes, Norway have done it. Push up ICE cars with stick taxes and reduce EVs to zero tax. Not grants.

I agree with you on the taxing ICE, I still don't see what you achieve by differentiating taxes vs grants

Grants go to the OEMs and are a waste of money.

Reducing taxes is a different way of achieving a similar outcome, but without padding the pockets of oems

That all depends on the OEMs passing on the tax cut instead of absorbing it. I don't think they will, all you'll achieve is a tax cut and a price increase. The consumer will still pay the same amount to get the car on the road.

Even if that is what transpires, at least it would be more transparent

I don't see how you get more transparent at subsidising OEMs than by directly giving them a sum of money as we do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If grant money had been diverted into charging infrastructure, we could have way more really efficient and somewhat affordable EV’s on the road. We live on a small island and have been forced into buying big battery EV’s because of the dismal charging infrastructure. A low mileage eGolf is more efficient and half the price of a 77kWh VAG EV but the dependence on public charging is the most limiting factor if you need to do a long journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

What with a health service crisis, a housing crisis, cost of living crisis, Ukraine war crisis, etc, etc, I'm not sure if introducing uncapped tax exemptions thereby substantially increasing tax subsidies for larger expensive EVs would be palatable for the majority of taxpayers, or a useful mechanism to substantially increase the number of EVs on the road.

At least the current capped grant and vrt exemption is targeted at lower priced EVs, which is a more justifiable approach when dealing with limited public finances.

Now, in the meantime, if we find substantial oil reserves off the coast, then maybe we could give more consideration to the Norway model.

Advertisement