Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

"I see it first hand" 🙂

Fair enough then please show me the micro and macro financials you have to prove that.

So a hotel that normally closes for months over the winter offers more labour hours than a hotel open and at FULL capacity for 12 months? Nonsense.

Local businesses suffer from hotels that don't shut for off-peak season? What about Food suppliers? Toiletries suppliers? Energy suppliers? Cleaning/Maintenance resources? Laundry suppliers? Medical staff/supplies?

Yes the hotel owners benefit but many other locals do too. Perhaps not the publicans but so what.

I'm Galway but I know Clare very well. Places like Lisdoon, Ennistymon and Ballyvaughan are busy in summer but ghost towns in winter.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Right, laundry suppliers? Energy suppliers? Toiletries? Are you serious? That’s some serious straw grasping.

refugee hotels do not supply guest services like they would to tourists. Therefore a skeleton staff. And as for the rhythm of a wild Atlantic was town, after those crazy once tourist filled 8 months, locals, staff and business owners all breathe a sigh of relief.

you’re deluded in thinking that replacing tourists with refugees and asylum seekers comes without a massive cost (other than to property owners). I’m done, not worth talking to people like you who don’t get it

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Not a chance hotel occupancy with refugees is generating more revenue. Bunratty castle hotel for e.g., is busy all year, popular for weddings, work nights etc, Radisson always busy for weddings, conferences, training, the Park hotel again proximity to Shannon airport made it popular. All the ancillary industries benefitting from presence of tourists is markedly reduced; less purchase from food/drinks companies, less car/taxi hire, skeleton staff in hotels - no bar staff, weekly cleaning of rooms as opposed to daily, reduced admin/reception/kitchen/waiting staff etc. Locals living in the areas particularly Ballyvaughan, Kilkee have expressed concerns re: negative effects on businesses/locals who benefit from the tourist trade. Big difference between spending of daily/short stay visitors, with quick turnover and those long term, tourists inevitably have greater disposable income - all of this is common sense. The only benefit is to the hotel owners - the surrounding businesses and community are not financially benefiting from this.

How is any of that straw grasping? I think you are showing your ignorance here.

Don't go. First please tell me how a hotel manages without the following:

Laundry (sheets, towels, quilts etc)

Toiletries (Soap, Loo roll, Shampoo, cleaning products etc).

Energy (Oil, gas, electricity, coal/turf/wood etc)

You were happy with the rest of the list?

And then please please name a single hotel in Clare that has 100% capacity for 8 months of the year. Just one.

Your post is farcical, as is your question, which is something I never claimed.

bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Refugees living in hotels 12 months a year are more economically beneficial to a town than having tourists 8 months a year?

I actually think I've heard it all now! The other poster is right, no more can be said!!

Prove me wrong with financial metrics. Show me occupancy figures in your 8 months too.

For example, in 2018 the room occupancy rate in Ireland for Mid-Price/Economy level hotels was 68% on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

I'd add that there is simply no comparison between the spending habits of say American tourists (benefiting from a weak euro, to boot) and Ukrainian refugees who send much of their money back home in remittances. Hoteliers are the big beneficiaries, and in Dublin anyway many of these aren't even owned domestically (but rather by multinational hotel groups)

The Connemara Gateway hotel in Oughterard is now utterly destroyed. It was bad to begin with but it has been let go to complete rack and ruin since the protest. It cannot be refurbished now. It will be knocked. Result for the locals I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Huge result. Where’s your honour monopoly, don’t you have any respect for the locals wishes?

• Advertisement

Huge result for the town to lose a hotel and the money/jobs the hotel refurbishment would have brought? Nope, very silly. Idiotic. No foresight. The locals that did oppose the asylum seekers were badly advised by more idiots.

It will be difficult to put rich Americans into a hotel that doesn't exist.

My honour is just fine Bingo and you can call me Cluedo 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Because direct provision centers are famous for boosting local economies

Why dont those stupid people in Oughterard want to become the next Mosney or Ballyhaunis 🤣

Fine Gael promised last year to end direct provision by 2024.

The hotel in Oughterard is completely destroyed now (deliberately I suspect) so there will be no accommodation for anyone there.

What's the revenue model now?

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Unfortunately way less local revenue than tourism. The refugee hotels don’t function as tourist hotels with busy bars, restaurants and local amenities being used. The refugees have almost no money to spend and it only takes a tiny amount of staff to keep refugee hotels going.

The well connected hotel owners are being made very rich by this and the refugee industry is a very efficient method for transferring tax payers money to these people. It’s all very very dodgy.

Well connected owners?

Any hotel owner would be accepted into the scheme at this point. And could you blame them for applying? You would do the same if you owned a hotel. It will helpc clear Covid debts.

If the non asylum seeker business model was more lucrative, they would stay at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

This is a serious problem though. It just amplifies the narrative that individual money making is the ultimate bottom line and to Hell with the consequences. Same narrative that was pushed up until the last money making bang that fell into its own arse back in 2008.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Exactly, the refugee industry is more lucrative. Problem is only a tiny number of individuals are benefiting and are being made insanely rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Given its so lucrative and easy, isn't it possible that these hotels will become full-time asylum centers? (given approximately zero chance of any refugees returning in medium or even long term.) So now we have an unholy alliance of the wealthy and government decimating once-renowned tourist destinations----all financed courtesy of locals' taxes.

We couldn't even get Irish people to work in hotels in recent years. It was beneath them for the most part. It was all Eastern Europeans and they worked hard. Since Covid it's very difficult to get decent chefs and other hotel staff.

solution: pay them more, improve conditions.

the reason people, Irish and non-Irish, don't want to, or leave after a short while, work in hotels, is the money, and hours are terrible.

I suggest you give it a go for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

Apart from the fact it's a burden on an already burdened health service and also constitutes health aswell as welfare tourism

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

Economic fail there, tourists bring external money thereby raising our standards of living. Fugees require money to be borrowed thereby pushing us on the impoverished track

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

simple.. you get on the aircraft with a passport…. If you don’t have it on arrival, you get interviewed, if in the opinion of the GNIB member it’s not been genuinely mislaid, you are detained and sent back…

a better option would be for the origin airport to scan it and upload it but I doubt they have the wherewithal technology wise, training with all going on, plus they would probably collude in certain situations..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They’ll be spending SFA in the economy locally the majority of the money is saved or sent back.

no accommodation costs, little to no utility bill costs, no healthcare costs.

many of them have been and are enabled with clothing, toiletries schoolbooks and more besides free gratis by NGO’s..

many of us questioned why indeed the full social welfare rate was enabled to them…of course if someone suggested 145 euros a week their champions would have been screeching ‘discrimination’…. Nothing about the discriminatory act of Ukranians leapfrogging Irish people, taxpayers on the housing lists though…

the recovery from that won’t be quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Return to sender. Send them back to original point. Let them sort it. It's where that person started out. Easier trace. Onus is on them anyway.

Not the country they just stepped into. Iv never understood this policy at all.

He/ she boarded with documents presumably and was approved boarding there so it's on them to sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Country of departure would take the H & W view re the Titanic - 'It was fine when it left here'

The solution I proffered was a nice dumbed down one as that's what they seem to need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

If you want to effectively stamp out the practice, start doing what they did in some countries that were having a problem with illegals stowing away in trucks, you fine the airline a thousand Euro for everybody they transport that can't produce their documents or ground the plane until they are found.

You wouldn't believe how fast that fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

All the above are good ideas but unfortunately there seems to be no will to stop these scammers being let in.

The problem will be just ignored and the subject of economic migrants won't be mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't know if you have ever flown, but the checks are quite significant.

There is already potentially huge fines for airlines if someone slips through these checks. Equating an airline with "illegals" stowing away in the back of a truck is nonsensical, also the fines have not fixed the problem there either.

If someone refuses to show or destroys their documentation on the way to an emigration desk in a port, grounding the plane or ferry until it is searched is rather impractical in real life.

So in reality your "solution" will fix nothing, it will just hurt business and people who do actually travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Heard a report earlier on RTE Drivetime, which mentioned that a Catherine Day says that our state must plan for new waves of immigration due to wars, climate change, economic refugees etc.

Leaving aside the merits or otherwise of her reasons, what gives this Catherine Day the right to go around telling the citizenry at large what our obligations are? As far as I can make she's had some role as an unelected public servant at an EU level and is wont to tell us what we must do, a la Peter Sutherland.

At the very least, you would hope, demand & expect that the state consults the citizens first - preferably with a referendum on the matter.

Advertisement