Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting in Winter tyre and ice advice please...

Options
  • 04-12-2022 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Evening,

I hope you are all well.

I plan to commute from the Northside of Dublin along the coast to town this winter.

I ride an Canyon ALU Roadbike, 25mm Prime Lifeline Armour tyres.

I plan to cycle whenever I can and whenever it appears safe.

Would these tires suffice for Winter..or can you recommend very grippy options?

In terms of forecasts, at what stage do you decide against cycling due to the conditions?

I have ridden previously in frosty weather and it has been okay..

Icy conditions would be scary and dangerous.. I imagine..

I appreciate your feedback,

A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I previously used Schwalbe marathon plus 700x28c for 2 winter seasons and found them excellent, part of my commute includes the Grand canal from Parkwest to Adamstown and I've dug a serious amount of glass out of them with very few punctures over several 1000 kms. This year I'm on Vittoria Rubino Pro Control Fold G2.0 700x28c and I find them grippier but I've had a couple of punctures. I couldn't find what caused them so it may be bad luck or a sign that they don't afford as much protection. The only weather that will stop me is ice, I've urban and rural on my commute so the road conditions can vary greatly, and it's not worth it IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Depends on what you want. I wouldn't touch the marathons, you'll never puncture but the grip is woeful. I'd sooner the increase in punctures with a corresponding increase in grip and comfort.

Don't know anything about your primes but if they feel OK, just ride them until you are no longer happy with them, everyone's mileage will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I decide on the morning. I check the weather if there’s ground frost I skip it. Or go in a hour later.

I avoid cycle lanes with wet leaves, metal msn hole covers. Road paint

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

Op. Check the gritting map on the council's website. If the route you take is gritted in cold weather you should be okay and it's only side roads and housing estates you would need to be careful in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Good advise. I also vary my route when its really cold to avoid side/sheltered roads and stick to the main/gritted roads. Just remember, if your using your "good" bike, you really should hose down to bike (in particular the chain/drivetrain) as the salt/grit really eats these components!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Evening,

A belated thank you for the replies...

I have cycled on crisp,dry, frosty days and just cycled more upright and carefully and was fine..

My fear is black or any ice as that could result in a fall or worse slide you under a vehicle...or a vehicle could slide into you... Very scary thoughts...

The tires I have are Wiggle brand, puncture resistant tyres.. good all rounders.. not as grippy as 4 seasons I imagine...

Gritted roads or roads where cars have driven seem a bit safer... As u said the side roads can be lethal...

I think there is an app or website which shows the temperature of roads which might be handy to check in the morning...

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I rate specialized Roubaix tyres for commuting with the 2bliss thing. Tough but great rolling and cheap enough.

Check your route, along the coast is usually warmer and more salty than the hills. What I noticed was that there were 2-3 places where cold air would linger and it would be damp, so always the first to be sketchy with a chill (small depressions, out of sunlight), either avoid or get off and walk the 20 yards.

Some days I'd just drive in as it wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Got the base layer, thermal socks, neck warmer, thick gloves etc. all ready, but think I'm only codding meself that I will cycle tomorrow...

Advertisement