Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green diesel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any idea which is cheaper these days, an Aga for cooking and hot water or electric cooker/immersion? Our Aga hasn’t been lit for years, but the electric bills this year are going ballistic.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our aga is great when it's going well. Got it serviced during the week, great to have hot water whenever you want it. Nothing like the heat it puts out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We have geothermal here in the house and for some reason the house is a sweat box so far. Don't know if it's the mild ish weather or what that's causing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

Horizontal type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The aga, if on timber is probably the best option at the moment. We are are working with a log gasification boiler in the garage. One good wheelbarrow a day does the heating and hot water. With the cold that is coming, 1½ to 2 wheelbarrow will do. We forgot the resources that our farms can provide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

How much and how big is the log gasification boiler Stonewall? Are they a good job?

Have oil here and a solid fuel range - the ranger is super to heat the water and the kitchen, but would have to be hopping to heat the rads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Both oil price and refining cost has turned up yesterday and today, so we are probably near the bottom of the current cycle.

Green at 1.07 inc vat is a minuscule margin for the distributor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

About 6k for the boiler and buffer tank. The buffer tank is like a battery. With solid fuel you can't really regulate the burn to turn on and off. With a gasification boiler, it's burns hard with the sole aim of heating the buffer. Whenever the house wants heat, it just pumps from this 'battery' It works best with low heat emitters eg low heat rads or underfloor.

I have the boiler in the garage it takes up a floor area of about 6ft × 5ft including the buffer tank. It's a MAGA boiler of about 40kw. It's Slovak and not to be confused with an ex President of the US. The buffer tank is 2000 litres. I would consider getting another 2000l buffer to add even more reserve to the system. This would allow for an immersion to be added easily. The plan is in the next few years to add solar PV to the house and use this immersion as a dump for excess power rather than exporting to the grid

For any one with an oil boiler in an out house, it could tie into the existing system easily

• Advertisement

Differs per month as in higher in winter but I think around €200ish a month average

That seems reasonable, have a sibling with air to water costing around the same including all household service's.

Sorry for piggybacking the thread.

Is that 200/month for all electricity Reg, or you’d estimate 200/month for just the electricity for heating?

That would have been for everything. That was before all the rises in the esb tho.

The yearly esb here was 3000ish for the year max if we got some real cold months over winter. Thats house, heating, hot water and farm.

This summer it shut itself off for nearly 2 months I'd say with the heat

I don’t use much diesel, but thinking about getting a barrel filled. I assume one of those plastic 200l barrel would be up to the job?

Can anyone recommend a pump to get it out? Or even the type of pump I should look to get? I think someone was talking about them here before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Is it really worth the messing for what you might save on 200 litres.

If you had even 5 x 5 gallon drums you'd save half without a lot of the messing and the expense of a pump.

Yeah, the savings financially wouldn’t be massive. But tis as much to avoid the hassle of going to the coop (cos it always seems to be a last minute rush to get the diesel when the coop is closing and the tractor is nearly empty) 🙂

I wouldn’t mind avoiding filling from the 5 gallon drums as well…

Plus, I like the idea of having the diesel, you just don’t know what way things will go these days. I know plenty will say 200L is feck all - but twould me a good while…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Easier to put in tank. Lifetime job and you can buy whatever amount you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

908 litres Kero 1062 euro. 116.9 cpl

Kero 1.07 and green 1.04 this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You did well. I rang for a price, quoted 1.22 for 1000 today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Got 500 L kerosene this morning, €590 incl vat n Tipp, green is 1.08 + vat. I wonder will the cold weather drive up the price again?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Well I heard oil is to drop more this week. Hopefully that's the case. Opec meeting yesterday went OK. No cut in supply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

The refining margins and exchange rates are just as important as the actual crude oil price.

@walterking is the man for all them figures.

I know that. Also oil prices have dropped well over the last 3 hrs or so. Relates to approx 3c a litre

The € and £ are strengthening against the dollar and China looking like its pulling back on requirements due to a 40% decline in commoditie orders since Oct.

The auld cost of living is taking shape and people are spending more wisely and not on tat like during the lockdowns. Hard to keep inflated prices going with them situations. Reality has to sink in.

My prediction is that Green will hover around the 90c mark forever more tho. We were heading that way before covid cut the legs from underneath the oil price rises back in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I panicked reading this thread so ordered this evening as only half a tank left on the tractor

1.10e for green for orders over 1000L & 500L for 560e for kerosene with 25e off as I ordered together

It's supposed to drop more by the end of the week. Be interesting to know if it comes to pass

Green down to 97c inc here this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

How many litres do you have to buy to get it for that price?

• Advertisement

Not sure. I always get around the 1000lts at a time tho

Advertisement