Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Wheresthematch.com advertising Challenge Cup matches on Viaplay for December.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

The satellite broadcasts have separated this morning

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Still broadcasting as exact relays of Viaplay 1&2 from what I can see (Viaplay DOG and presentation, U.K. adverts) so while they may have done the tech work there’s no onscreen reversion to Premier Sports yet.

Edit: We now appear to have Premier Sports 1 back, Premier Sports 2 is still Viaplay 2

Edit: Premier 2 appears at 4pm. Though it still seems to be Viaplay 2 with just a different DOG, still Viaplay idents and adverts. On the other hand Premier 1 has full Premier Sports branding .

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The Irish EPG 412 and 421 are now both carrying different programming to UK EPG Viaplay 1 & 2.

The 'PremierSports ' channels are both showing the same ice hockey game....,the EPG information is still Viaplay (and not ice hockey).

Trying to not be negative but no standalone Irish subscription channel has survived and showing the same ice hockey game does not bode well.

It’d be nice to see the schedule somewhere. The changes statrted to happen in mid afternoon, before that they were still carrying the same programmes as Viaplay. Up until 4pm PS2 still had the Viaplay 2 DOG. The EPG data is still the Viaplay schedule as is the Premier Sports website. There is URC now on Premier 2.

• Advertisement

Something akin to normal service appears to have resumed now - they are back showing the EPG schedule, promos and (Irish!) adverts are back, and we have full Premier branding.

It seemed for a few hours they seemed to be in a kind of “test transmission” where they just showed archive stuff on loop with no ads or promos.

Maybe it’s just “first day” toothing troubles - they are effectively setting the channel up again from scratch after selling the old operation to Viaplay.

As of 11.30 pm :

PS1 , EPG says NHL , showing Rugby

PS2 , EPG says Trans world sport , Showing NHL AND PS 1 logos are playing out during ad breaks.

Teething problems maybe BUT it's VIAPlay that has moved transponders today not 'Premier ' and this split has been on the cards for at least 4 weeks with off the EPG testing.

They really looked like they had sorted things last night. I mean, at this point they’re just substituting archive material with different archive material, but they’d want to sort things out by Friday evening for the weekends live stuff.

Premier Sports now has its own EPG data , listings up to Saturday.

Programmes and EPG are now in sync, Live NHL has been dropped, live URC Rugby is listed for Friday and Saturday.

Ironically Viaplay 1 has gone off air this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's not completely dropped as there is a live NHL game on Friday night/Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

And oddly there’s loads of NHL still in the schedule, just recorded NHL. In some instances there’s recorded NHL when Viaplay is showing a live game!

But as I’ve said before, this is a country with no permanent ice rink, so I’m not sure what sort of audience Hockey Night in Canada gets. Presumably there’ll be complaints if there’s some sort of substantial audience.

At the time of night when there's live games on it makes no sense not to show them. Especially when Premier Sports are showing repeats of other games instead.

Meanwhile, I see USAP v Bristol in next Friday’s Premier Sports 1 schedule. Odd no announcement of those rights, for either Premier or Viaplay.

URC coverage is now bare bones. No analysis before the game or at half time. That's disappointing. Halftime of the Edinburgh v Munster game they are showing La Liga highlights from years ago.

Post edited by lertsnim on

They had no graphics either for a chunk of the game, though they’re back now. We’re back to an eir Sport after the split with Premier type scenario now I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

No graphics also on Viaplay coverage for part of the rugby but excellent tribute to Doddie Weir from the presenter and colleagues in pre match coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Have we lost La Liga rights completely now?

I wouldn’t have thought so, there’s no La Liga till after Christmas (Dec 29th) with the World Cup? There’s still “LaLiga World” in the daily schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

They still have a few Viva La Liga live shows on LaLigaTV and haven't seen them on PS. Nothing on EPG either. Strange one

The Leinster Ulster game had different commentary on PS1 and Viaplay 1 , at the same time however the live French Top14 coverage on PS2 and Viaplay 2 was the exact same with neither channels having DOGS.

Since the end of the game PS2 DOGS have returned but the programmes no longer align with the EPG.

In the short term Premier will survive due to the Sky extra packaging but if that is lost then like Eir the channel will not survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

It looks like Viaplay will not be allowing Premier Sports to use their studio coverage, which is currently coming from Scandinavia by the looks of it.

Different commentary on the Leinster game too on both channels tonight, and Viaplay are showing live NHL while Premier Sports aren't, so they must not currently be entitled to it.

The NHL is just bizzare because there’s loads of it in the schedule, just no live games. The Elite League seems to be also definitely gone. I wouldn’t worry too much about LaLiga as the rights announcement definitely said Ireland, wait until the December 29th schedule is out before worrying.

The unfortunate thing now, as I feared, is that all Premier’s website, social media etc have been taken over by Viaplay and there’s no information whatsoever coming out of what remains of the Irish operation. I suspect that it has barely any staff running it; beyond who’s left at Setanta these days, all Premier Sports staff were moving to Viaplay.

I also don’t think Sports Extra will last beyond 2025; WBD won’t want to be hamstrung by a deal which stops them selling their own sports channels through Discovery+ or whatever it’s successor will be. What happens to Premier after that who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

Dropping live NHL might be due to rights, or might be because it isn't worth paying people to work late into the night if viewership is tiny.

One thing that strikes me at this point is that Viaplay had I think won the U.K. rights to the NHL separately before they took over Premier Sports, so that might have been a U.K. only deal.

https://www.viaplaygroup.com/news/news-releases/viaplay-adds-nhl-and-ksw-rights-uk-sports-streaming-offering

That just raises further questions though about why Premier were allowed broadcast matches this season including in ROI before the Viaplay deal completed, and why they can still broadcast matches on delay.. It appears though if you want live ice hockey now you need to pay for NHL.tv

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Has anyone else's Premier Sports encrypted on Sky today for some reason? I've no idea what's going on with them, especially as BT is fine and I can watch on Sky Go as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭fman

Yes both channels are showing an upgrade screen for me. This move has just gone swimmingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Both PS channels working fine on Now (TV)

Exactly what I have here, working grand on Sky Go, but upgrade screens on both SkyHD boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Clicked the red button to upgrade (eventhough I am paying for it) and message on screen tells me that I am already subscribed to the channel. Blue screen looks fab though

• Advertisement

Back on air again in last few hours.

Advertisement