Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Grand broad statements that look like they’re saying a lot but are in fact just a moan fest. Unless we get names, dates, locations and verbatim in this series, it’s going to get slated very quickly and people will switch off in their droves.

I love the “royal source” quote in this article:

'We are not going to be blown off course by squalls from across the Atlantic,' a royal source told the Daily Mail witheringly.😂

Baaam! That’s fighting talk! 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

The second teaser intercuts H&M but with the press seperately photographing Katie Price and Michael Cohen, Trumps former lawyer. You'd think since they are implying press intrusion then they would be spoiled for choice regarding genuine clips. Or else they are telling lies and these press packs could really have cared less about them.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Well, this has well revived the thread, hasn't it? Hope you've all got the popcorn in - who's watching it? I think I probably will.

It'll be interesting to see if Charlie will differ from the queen's MO dealing with what's revealed in the programme. Apparently after the OW interview he was keen to rebut it line by line but mummy said no. Personally I think a dignified silence is the smarter way to go. If those two do have narcissist tendencies then ignoring them is probably the one thing that'll infuriate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd be inclined to say ignore it too, the press will dissect it and tear it apart.

Once this and the book are done they'll have nothing left to sell and no one will want to be associated with them.

Agreed. Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake springs to mind. The Royal family haven't engaged beyond the classic "recollections may vary" response and it has worked. There is no tit-for-tat PR. There was, without the family saying a word, the optics of them going back for the Jubilee after their allegations which is bad enough i.e. going back to celebrate that which made you suffer? This series is about to come out and the pair of them have been ridiculed already in the meme like "I like the part where" comments. Again, all without a response. I'm sure if there is anything defamatory in the series which would need addressing then it would be done through legal correspondence but, whether the family have been advised to or not by those in the know, they've been grey rocking them since they left and ultimately it is the best approach.

• Advertisement

I loved the part where comparisons are drawn between Megain and Diana again. Tear, left eye, go!

I’ve ordered in special honey and salt popcorn- need the olde ying/Yang sweet and salty flavour to go with the bitterness of the documentary 😛

Revenge is a dish served cold. Hear about the appointment of Harry’s kids as Prince and Princess? Neither did I and neither will you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just get the sweet popcorn. Your salty left-eye tears will do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

I saw this post on Instagram.

All this sh!te about "there was always this hierarchy"

Ah here.

That is literally the point of Royalty, and has been ever since day dot. It's clear that it's a "documentary" that's aimed at their American market where few would cop on that it's not a rule that was hastily invented because Harry brought home a mixed race divorceé but something that's been in place since aeons before America was even America. Or indeed aeons before England was a thing.

As if it was made clear to him by Meghan and not something he would known since he was small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I thought it was pretty common that in most Royalty the heirs directly in line will get the prince and princess. I remember a joke from some royal comedy. "It will take quite the plane crash for you to become king."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭seenitall

^ The “why” is all about that family connection, the status this association confers. It wants to draw attention to the narrative that Meghan has suffered as much as Kate, is in the same-ish position as Kate and therefore is (in their pitch) equal to Kate. Megain is REALLY a (hounded, highly-sought after) “Princess” herself. To draw that connection, they have to use lots of Kate footage and co-victimise her. Just as they do with all the Diana parallels. Shameless and transparent, but funny, grifting. Which is why it’s so easy to ridicule all their efforts, they are always so transparent.

Too bad that Megain will never be the Princess of Wales. Kate is a big point of focus for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I'm waiting for pictures of her in the tower of London 🤣

Very good points there. Kate is just doing what Kate signed up to do- certainly her public persona is just class but I’ve no doubt she’s been hurt by what’s been said by H&M over the last year- she is human after all.

As for Harry’s comment about how the royal family have treated the women marrying into the family- well eh, maybe he should look at the total disfunctionality of the Queens offspring first-

Charles- someone who couldn’t give up his true love, Camilla - wasn’t all Diana’s fault or indeed the press- the rot started from within the royal family- Harry’s family

Andrew- a womaniser, pompous, self centered and worse in recent years (allegedly) - how could a marriage to such a buffoon last?

Princess Anne- one failed marriage so it’s not just women with bad experiences of the royal family

Edward and Sophie-had the sense to wait before getting married and aside from a rocky start selling access to the Queen, have had a great public profile ever since

Theres wider issues than just how the palace treats the spouses of the royals - even Charles admits his childhood affected how he behaved in adult life.

There’s blame Harry at your own doorstep if you care to look and it’s genetic- nothing to do with royal protocols or the press or back stabbing

Too bad that Megain will never be the Princess of Wales. Kate is a big point of focus for her.

It appears that M does hate Kate. I know this series will pit one against the other and we know from Di and Fergie back in the day that's what the media does even if both women get along fine. But there's enough evidence that there's serious bad blood between them now. Meghan likely went in to the family thinking she'd be the shining star only to realise that she had to literally curtsey to everyone as she was the lowest in the pecking order.

And I wonder now if she's kicking herself having targeted the wrong brother... Kate is now Princess of Wales - the most glamorous, iconic Royal title going thanks to it's previous owner, and Kate's husband is now a literal billionaire due to the Cornwall Duchy and gets an income of 20-odd million pounds (that's about $30m USD) per year from it.

It's intriguing that there was this back-track immediately after the Queen's funeral on the Netflix "documentary" from them. It makes me think that they got told that what they got away with when Granny made the rules would be changing effective immediately and that if any allegations were made, the gloves are now off and they got worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

Can't wait for the album

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Mo need for them to say anything directly. They have their lackies in the press to do it for them.

You would sweat the royals are some poor defenceless family being attacked by powerful media savvy H&M. Far from it. Royal family are completely protected. Look at the disgust at Meaghan compared to the lack of disgust of Andrew.

Or that Charles almost tore the family apart with his refusal to give up his affair, while Harry is lambasted fir sticking by his wife.

Maybe your last point will be a theme of the series. Harry actively defending his wife. Inferring from the trailer then women marrying into the Royal family have generally had a poor lot and it was the weak husbands who let them down i.e. my Dad allowed it to happen to my mum (and even my step mum), my uncles allowed it to happen to Sarah and Sophie and my brother even allowed it to happen to Catherine. I am the good one out of them all. I won't let it happen to my wife etc. Yet Charles is presumably happily married to Camilla. Sophie and Edward seem happy. Andy retains a civil relationship with Sarah and William and Catherine seem happy as well. Perhaps they all know how the toxic press works and instead of crossing no mans land they all proverbially dug trenches and waited for the press to either run out of shells or start a war against another inevitable target.

Now Harry and Meghan are getting an award for fighting structural racism in the monarchy from 5,000 miles away. Presuming Harry is happily married I wonder what effect the ridicule this series is getting (and will likely get) might have on his own marriage. They've become the butt of memes and jokes and even former devil advocates are starting to see through the change the feckin’ record victim playing.

The problem is that while Harrys mother and his sister in law were targeted, footage of that is now needed to manufacture and infer similar treatment of Meghan. Treatment which simply never happened. Diana and Catherine were marrying heirs. Meghan married the sixth in line. She was never going to get the same treatment and perhaps that was surprisingly unexpected. You have a photographer coming out saying one shot (taken in South Africa of photographers from a balcony) in the teaser is a misrepresentation as they were accredited and actually expected to be at that pre-planned spot. It's a basic indication of how manipulative it is. It's like the doctored headlines from Oprah. All done to suit an agenda (e.g. the racist British print media then, the aggressive abusive press now). The difference this time is that people are expecting more of the same and are ready to point out and deep dive any inaccuracies. I guess, knowing that, once you've been caught doing this before then it would have been prudent to ensure that any footage was water tight. Even if they are being truthful about what awful bastards the Royals are, it all undermines the point/attacks they want to make when they have to resort to misinformation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Absolutely they have an agenda but let's not pretend that the RF and the press don't have one as well.

Given all we know of the RF, H&M base claims would seem to be based on reality, although I have no doubt that they have exaggerated and hyped them up to suit their own view.

They are playing against a very powerful and very well-connected other side. Look at the example of that woman claiming racism this week. The press went to town on her. That is what they are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

The knives are out. #moonbump is trending on twitter .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well unlike that women last weeks she couldn’t forget it and had proof. Harry and Meghan can’t seem to get their stories straight on when the alleged racist comments were made and how many times they were made. And the person in question last week was named and rightly faced the consequences of her actions. Why didn’t harry and Meghan name the person who they claim made the remarks ? It’s shouldn’t matter who said them.

There was also the getting married before the wedding which they tried to get the Archbishop of Canterbury to go along with and he not surprisingly said no.

There was the claim that Archie wasn’t made a prince because of race which was false at the time because he wasn’t the grandson of a monarch(he is now), and he could've got a title if he wished(not a prince) as son of a duke but didn’t. That’s not the RFs fault.

There was the issue around security overseas which is even more tone deaf now then it was initially given the pressures everywhere and in the UK especially on peoples finances. And my understanding is that providing security overseas creates all manner of legal issues, not to mention people being away from families for extended periods of time.

There was the claim that Meghan was suicidal and yet her husband who has done extremely commendable and important work on the area of mental health couldn’t do anything to help his wife, when he more than many had contacts and the profile to get the best help money can buy.

I supported harry and Meghan leaving the British royal family because I think it’s an outdated and bizarre institution, but their interview with Oprah imo was a poor move. It really didn’t help their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

A serious misunderstanding here of what the monarch means to British people This is just from yesterday. Scroll down and see the reaction of ordinary school kids at the news they will sing for our King. Would you anticipate this reaction if Dublin kids were told they will sing for the president? It is certainly something that if you don’t get it, you don’t get it

Not really. It’s obvious that now the Queen is gone criticism will increase against the royal family-of course kids will continue to be enchanted encountering kings queens princes and princesses - but criticism of adults like we experience last week will increase- although as H&M release their documentary and book there will be a level of defence of the RF by the public because everyone this side of the pond hates H&M

• Advertisement

Even the BBC is turning with an article pointing out the inaccuracies in the teasers.

Advertisement