Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord will only accept cash

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Irish people hate anyone who they think is better off than them. Fact. We are famous for it.

In this case the posters see someone getting some money that they arent getting and the hate grows in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

You must have missed the memo. People are always guilty until proven innocent these days. You can say anything about them and the are automatically guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

What harm in reporting her to revenue. Yes it's only a suspicion but the evidence presented here would seem to suggest there's a reasonable chance there is some tax dodging.

If the ll is above board she has nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

How's about we report you to the revenue, if you have everything above board then you shouldn't mind - DM me your details please

By all means but I've already been audited by them. Its not that bad, if you've nothing to hide.

You're very defensive... Something you're not declaring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,532 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The OP merely needs to tell Revenue what she is paying and mention there are three of them.

Revenue can easily cross reference it with the landlords returns to confirm that the landlord is most definitely tax compliant. So there will be no need for an audit of course.

Believe me, I pay enough tax for us all, and the only thing I haven't declared is my disdain for people who feel the need to involve themselves where its unnecessary.

Being audited is an inconvenience, and like most other people I use money to avoid inconveniences as much as possible, I can clean my windows myself but I don't, why? cause its an inconvenience so I pay a window cleaner, that's how the world goes round, I pay the window cleaner in cash - maybe I should have him audited?

So what would be your threshold for thinking someone not declaring income went from good to bad?

If we take the OPs story at face value, and assuming that the landlord is not declaring, that is a sideline income of 40k. What is the point at which your "disdain" would vanish? 100k? 1 million? 10 million?

(BTW, Revenue would likely not bother auditing if the landlord is declaring the income. A 5 min check on their returns would confirm that)

Depends on the individual circumstances, in this scenario lets say the op is accurate and the income is 40k for this property and there is tax evasion, but also lets say the landlord has a family member with bone cancer and the money is going towards treatment, of course this is not likely but its also not impossible, it just depends on what you want to consider. The difference between people like me and people who will jump on the phone to revenue is that I'm open to considerations.

Ah here, that's a complete cop out. What are you going to do - ring them up and say "hey, I was thinking of reporting you to Revenue, but I just wanted to make sure you don't know anyone who has bone cancer first."

How about the self-employed millionaire who you know is committing millions in VAT fraud importing garlic? Shure ya don't know his circumstances. The poor divil might be addicted to coke and hookers. Ya better not dob him in just in case

• Advertisement

The information or evidence you have in your possession should determine whether it is appropriate to contact revenue and put another person at such an inconvenience. In the case of the garlic man I'm not sure exactly how the revenue became aware of the case, however in this instance to contact revenue based on a boards thread whereby a landlord has a preference of payment in cash is completely an overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You can report if you like, but be prepared to be looking for a new place to live ASAP if you do. In the current housing/rental market, is this something you want to do?

You are contradicting yourself now. Do you not see the irony of you jumping to the landlords defence, and castigating anyone suggesting the OP let the Revenue know, because you don't know that they don't have a relative with bone cancer, but then saying that it should be based on the "information or evidence you have in your possession"

You said:

the only thing I haven't declared is my disdain for people who feel the need to involve themselves where its unnecessary.

when you have no evidence or information that it is unnecessary.

You haven't told us what is the harm or the OP letting the Revenue know in the event that the Landlord has been doing things properly? If they are, the Revenue will take a 2 minute look at their returns, decide "nothing to see here" and the Landlord will be none the wiser

Fair enough, if you think preferring cash payment is grounds for alerting revenue then so be it but the tax man is going to be very busy.

One would have to be a bit innocent or extremely naive to come to any other conclusion given the circumstances as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Lots of people paying these types of rents to share with others.

OP, I would report that. In this day and age its not acceptable that people want top dollar for rent and not want to pay tax. €14k tax free is a serious benefit, yet they want more...

I wonder if its a possibility that they are not the owner and are paying another landlord, possibly a friend or relative in cash, who in turn are not declaring it.

No harm to let revenue have a bit of a look around this.

Before anyone, asks I am tax compliant, and will not do business with anyone in cash.

Cut from different cloth I guess, I would see those who feel the need to alert revenue at any minimal sign of cash payments as innocent or naïve.

40k a year is minimal? Well over 13k x 3 according to the OP and assuming all three tenants are on the same rate

What is your threshold be for something not to be minimal?

Could also be a delinquent mortgageholder situation.

There were the stories a few years back about properties being repossessed where the "owner" was collecting rent but not paying the mortgage for years - just delaying repossession for as long as possible while the tenants were oblivious.

You have an interesting view in tax. Why would you pay other people's tax?? That seems a daft thing to do.

I agree with you being audited is an inconvenience. The easiest way to put money towards avoiding this is to... simply pay the tax you owe.

If the landlord is is tax compliant it'll be straightforward to prove. There should be nothing wrong with holding people to account when the rules are there for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

OP has already said they are leaving, so your point is moot.

Advertisement