Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya the pensions argument is one of the more hilarious ones.

How a person who never works a day in their life is going go help the Pension Pot is one question not answered very well

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

See a fermoy woman tweet last week that she doesn't feel safe walking down the street due to sexual assaults, then yesterday tweet a refugees welcome 😂😂

A poll on newstalk says 11% of people now believe imigration is now the no.1 issue for the government to deal with.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Where were the rugby players tried?

And no, I disagreed with that at the time and I maintain that to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not pretending the labour force exists in a vacuum though, it’s why I agree with your first paragraph at least.

Your second paragraph is where things start to come off the rails a bit. It isn’t Governments responsibility to develop the economy just for those who are resident in the State, not even particularly for those who are citizens of the State. It’s Governments responsibility to develop the economy to ensure growth and prosperity for future generations who don’t yet even exist, it’s why they do economic forecasting plans like the 2040 plan, precisely because the labour force doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

Incentivising labour force participation is part of this, and more important than immigration policy is education policy. That’s the policy that precedes making Ireland an attractive place for immigrants who come here in their youth and makes them want to stay long-term to become citizens, and for their children to become citizens whom it is hoped, rather than return home, they stay and can participate in the labour force.

YOUR idea of what an immigration policy should be, is one that only permits people to remain in the country while they continue to participate in employment (it’s what employment permits are for), however the fact is that because the labour force doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and it’s understood that immigrants have families, your idea doesn’t even work in theory - Lithuanian guy I spoke of earlier in the thread, met him the other day and he’s working in security now, less than 20 hours a week, brought over his 80 year old mother. Can’t imagine she’ll be contributing to the labour force any time soon!

Because the labour force doesn’t exist in a vacuum, an immigration policy isn’t just concerned with attracting people who have employment already arranged with a sponsor, and it is Governments responsibility to ensure there are appropriate supports in place to encourage people to participate in the labour force (that’s an employment policy, preceded by an education policy), and if the Government claim to want to encourage gender equality, well, that’s a factor in labour force participation too (influenced by social policy).

A 55% employment rate among certain groups is certainly a kick in the teeth for a Government which claims to promote all the good stuff like education, employment, gender equality and whatever else, and if I wanted to be really specific (who am I kidding, of course I do! 😁), I could point to the statistic that suggests the Government are failing Congolese nationals, as the unemployment rate among them, according to the 2016 census at least, was the highest of all groups based on nationality -

Of the 1,009 Congolese in Ireland in April 2016, 527 persons were in the labour force and 333 were unemployed giving them an unemployment rate of 63.2 per cent, the highest of any group.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/

Because the labour force doesn’t exist in a vacuum, 333 people who are unemployed is statistically insignificant in terms of the labour force, or indeed the population of Ireland as a whole. But, again, if the Government has a thing for encouraging diversity and all that good stuff (which they claim to at least), then their only option is to engage with people who are available for employment, but for whatever reason are proving to be undesirable to employers. I don’t think the statistics demonstrating their lack of employment opportunities is solely the result of racial, ethnic or xenophobic discrimination, it’s certainly not their lack of education, I think it’s most likely at an individual level, and a policy which would prohibit immigrants from entering Ireland based upon promoting negative stereotypes based on their nationality is unlikely ever to be a runner for an Irish Government at least, given both the overall educational attainment and labour force participation rates among immigrants is higher than among White Irish nationals.

That’s the argument from some people alright, but it’s a fallacious one, and they’re referring to needing immigration, they’re not referring to needing immigrants from specific ethnic groups. The reason I suggest it’s a fallacious argument is because it isn’t that we need immigrants who will only fulfil the needs of the current labour force, which is what they argue will contribute to general taxation from which the State pension will be funded; what’s actually needed is for immigrants to be encouraged to stay here long-term and put down roots and contribute to Irish society as a whole, because neither the labour force, nor those who are not in the labour force, exist in a vacuum. The argument that we simply need immigration falls in on itself due to the underlying assumption that there is a constant supply of immigrants who are willing to seek employment here (there isn’t), and the presumption that they will return home (it creates another set of problems if they don’t) -

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/ireland-needs-four-million-migrants-to-sustain-state-pension-system-39985277.html

Then referenda on abortion and euthanasia begin to look like easy wins to a Government who senses that people are getting more than a bit anxious about all the extra mouths they may have to feed due to the rising cost of living that doesn’t look like it’s going to come back down to normal levels any time soon. Saves a bundle for the State providing for childcare and pensions, but creates another set of problems that can be kicked down the road for future Governments to deal with.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I was wrong about him being named, turned out we'd more than one late 30 year old grabbing women and whisking them off in car in the news at once.

I would have posted earlier but I don't spend my day in here.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nuts102 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

That's just a wall of text that doesnt actually make much sense...

Irish people can see the number of people in Ireland is increasing massively....

Irish people also suspect that these people dont really have much to offer....

Until people like you can explain what the average Irish person gains from multiculturalism viewpoints are going to harden.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TomTomTim threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Irish people also suspect that these people dont really have much to offer....

Who are these people specifically?

newhouse87 threadbanned

• Advertisement

Can they? Or is it no more than a tiny number of people who are claiming that the number of people in Ireland is increasing massively?

Do they? Or is it again just a tiny number of people who claim that the people they’re referring to don’t really have much to offer?

I couldn’t care less about the tiny number of people who’s viewpoints were always what they were, they’re no threat to Irish society whatsoever.

That’s what multiculturalism is - there aren’t any positives or negatives to it, it’s just a phenomenon which exists in a society where people have different views, backgrounds, language, traditions, beliefs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Big confrontation between locals and "asylum seekers" in Wicklow town last night. It's gonna get ugly in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

This is an appeal to extremes. Everything  you identify as important - ensuring economic growth for future generations, prioritising educational and trade infrastructure, implementing calculated ALMP measures, incentivising skilled immigration - is perfectly consistent with an immigration policy that adequately distinguishes between those that will contribute to the Labour Force and the Labour Supply, facilitating economic growth in the process, and those that will be incapable of, or unwilling to, contribute to the Labour Force and the Labour Supply. A demographic that requires considerable investment in order to participate in the Labour Force is, from an economic perspective, undesirable - where that demographic exists in the population, it is important to provide a framework for development, however, it is equally important to prevent that demographic from entering the population in the first place, this is where immigration policy is of paramount importance.

”A 55% employment rate among certain groups is certainly a kick in the teeth for a Government which claims to promote all the good stuff like education, employment, gender equality and whatever else”

This discussion began with you identifying cultural difference as a primary factor in as far as low Labour Force participation rates for African nationals are concerned.

If I go to the local shops in Dublin I'd say at least 10% of people are non European. I'd say that's a fairly massive population increase.

So you admit there are no positives to multiculturalism? The thing is, people can see there are negatives to multiculturalism. We all know there is a housing crisis and a room in dublin is about 800 euro a month....

People arent against multiculturalism because they are bad people. People are against it because there are lots of negatives... but there dont seem to be many positives...

Why do you spend so much time on this thread if you "couldn't care less" about other peoples viewpoints?

PS thanks for a short post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

I had a look on Twitter and the main opinion is that this is just a bunch of drunk locals battering each other. That’s what it looks like from the video also, rather than two distinct groups going at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

You can't believe a word these anti immigrant people say. No morals. They will lie and distort any situation to demonise migrants even when they know it's just a bunch of locals fighting amongst themselves.

It’s not reducto ad absurdum (ok I see you’ve changed that to an appeal to extremes, which it isn’t that either). An argument that takes the form of reducto ad absurdum, or an appeal to extremes, would be to suggest that anyone should be prevented from entering the country based upon prejudiced assumptions about them, the idea that they “can’t work, won’t work”, when there is no evidence to support the premise of your assertion.

It’s true that investment in any demographic in order to enable them to gain and maintain employment (as opposed to just participating in the labour force), is undesirable from an economic perspective, but I do wonder have you considered the return on that investment? Government certainly do, it’s why they want foreign students to come here to pursue education at third level, and then stay here to gain employment and continue to contribute to the Irish economy. That would be one explanation as to why they are permitted to come here in the first place, and struggle to gain employment after finishing their course of study. The person being interviewed in the article I took issue with is a good example -

Malawian-born Joseph Nyirenda, now an Irish citizen living in Galway, has had three jobs since he first came to Ireland in 2003. The last one finished up in November 2017.

Since then, the father of three has sent out application letter after application letter in search of work. He has been called for a number of interviews. So far his search has been in vain.

Nyirenda feels discrimination in the wind: “If you look at the number of Africans graduating from Irish universities and compare it to the number of Africans employed in their area of expertise, it’s terrible.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/discrimination-at-work-you-see-africans-with-phds-driving-taxis-1.3692510

Should he have been prevented from entering the population in the first place? As he is now (at the time the article was written in 2018 anyway) one of the 45% of African nationals who don’t have a job? I think it’s fair to say we’ve already established that the employment/unemployment rates are not the same as having or not having a job, and not having a job is not an indication that someone doesn’t want to have a job.

Whether employed or unemployed, they are still part of the labour force. Is it their responsibility if they’re applying for employment and they’re not being used? Because that’s how the employment rate is defined, not simply not having a job, as the article alludes to -

Employment rates are defined as a measure of the extent to which available labour resources (people available to work) are being used. They are calculated as the ratio of the employed to the working age population. Employment rates are sensitive to the economic cycle, but in the longer term they are significantly affected by governments' higher education and income support policies and by policies that facilitate employment of women and disadvantaged groups. Employed people are those aged 15 or over who report that they have worked in gainful employment for at least one hour in the previous week or who had a job but were absent from work during the reference week. The working age population refers to people aged 15 to 64. This indicator is seasonally adjusted and it is measured in terms of thousand persons aged 15 and over; and in numbers of employed persons aged 15 to 64 as a percentage of working age population.

https://data.oecd.org/emp/employment-rate.htm

Which brings us back to my original point which wasn’t just suggesting that the primary reason for the low participation rate in the labour force among Africans is cultural differences. I expanded upon my point a bit more than that -

What I’m getting at is that in terms of multiculturalism and attitudes to family and work and so on, African immigrants attitudes to family and work would be similar to traditional Irish culture than modern Irish culture which is more closely reflected in the attitudes of European immigrants attitudes to family and work. 

I’d argue that’s why the same patterns emerge in other countries too as regards the conflict between differing values in different cultures and would explain too why we see the immigrants generally on the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder than at the top which is dominated by the domestic population. I don’t think it’s just straight up racism, as opposed to a whole multitude of prejudice based beliefs based upon stereotypes that go both ways - not just prejudice towards immigrants, but also immigrants prejudice based beliefs about the dominant population.

That’s why I argue that multiculturalism is the end result, not the driving force behind social, economic and cultural integration, and similarly multiculturalism is the end result of conflict between people of different social classes, groups, cultures or backgrounds.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119955069#Comment_119955069

In its simplest terms - Africans are more compatible with an Irish way of life which is more traditional and conservative; Europeans are more compatible with an Irish way of life which is more contemporary and liberal. Ireland was already a multicultural society before immigration increased to the levels it’s at now, but whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing definitely depends upon one’s perspective, what with the labour force not existing in a vacuum and all that jazz.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

A shift in population demographics is not the same as the point you made the first time which was that Irish people can see that the number of people in Ireland is increasing massively. You can’t honestly expect an opinion based on your own perception to be taken seriously?

What I actually said was -

That’s what multiculturalism is - there aren’t any positives or negatives to it, it’s just a phenomenon which exists in a society where people have different views, backgrounds, language, traditions, beliefs, etc.

By that I mean that I don’t think of it in the same terms as you do, as either a positive or negative.

I don’t think there is any housing crisis either, Dublin is one of the most expensive cities in the world, what does anyone expect?

I don’t think of anyone who is opposed to, or in favour of multiculturalism is a bad person or a good person, I don’t care, because I’m not so childish. I’m more interested in whether or not something is either a good idea or a bad idea.

I didn’t say I couldn’t care less about other people’s viewpoints, I specifically said -

I couldn’t care less about the tiny number of people who’s viewpoints were always what they were, they’re no threat to Irish society whatsoever.

It was in response to your point that people’s views would harden. All I could think is “so what if they do?”, by which I mean they still don’t exist in any great number that would present a a credible threat to Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Absolutely. Apparently it was all locals but far right hatemongers intent on causing division spread lies about it. Not surprising some people here are spreading the lies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I skimmed your response.

I read that you dont think there is a housing crisis in Dublin.

I dont think you have a full grasp on how normal people live.

• Advertisement

It is an appeal to extremes - in common parlance a reductio ad absurdum though, technically, philosophically, the way you constructed the fallacy, it is an appeal to extremes rather than a reductio ad absurdum - because it misrepresents the argument that I offered. I’ve previously considered mentioning the editing to your comments, though they were, as is the case in this instance, irrelevant to the meaning of the comments and therefore I ignored them. 

In as far as Nyirenda is concerned,  it depends on the particulars of his asylum case, certainly as a national of Malawi, a country of origin with a low asylum acceptance rate, I expect there were multiple appeals involved and, if that were the case, then I would argue that Nyirenda is indeed an example of the issues with immigration in this country. Nyirenda is, based on the asylum acceptance rates for Malawi nationals, an economic migrant with incredibly limited economic value. 

Interestingly, in this example, you are deciding to ignore the prevalence of African nationals outside of the Labour Force, previously you defended that as cultural difference, in this case you ignore it entirely, in this case, focus exclusively on the limited proportion of African nationals willing to participate in the Labour Force. Problem is, as regards African nationals, the two halves of the whole are incredibly important, if it were the case that African nationals had comparatively low Labour Force participation rates - as a result of gendered, cultural differences - however, those that participated in the Labour Force were highly skilled immigrants, as is often the case with Indian immigrants, then it would be less of an issue; that African nationals participating in the Labour Force have low employment rates, and that African nationals have low Labour Force participation rates, is the reason that they are incredibly undesirable from a Labour Force perspective. 

As far as your multiculturalism argument is concerned, it is reducible to African nationals are less conducive to economic growth as a result of cultural difference, a reminiscent form of this cultural difference once existed in Ireland, therefore…. and then, to be honest, the actual purpose of the argument is lost. Is this an argument for immigrants of this type? It was once prevalent in Ireland, why is it valuable in an immigrant population? Ireland developed economically and socially, managing to increase Labour Force participation rates as a result, that African nationals are representative of an outdated economic and social model is… quaint, is that the argument?

I think you're out of touch.

How about all those students that can't get accomodation? Everyone staying on a mates sofa because they can't afford their own place? People staying with their parents because they can't afford to move out? Couples that arent having kids because they can't afford a bigger house? People living in their car because they can't afford to rent somewhere?

Then tens of thousands of asylum seekers show up and suddenly there's unlimited money for hotels etc.

I think you are trolling us.

Has it ever occurred to you that those intent on causing division are present on both the far-left and the far-right?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

If you really want to be in favour of a multicultural society, you need to be prepared to accept that there is an existing society already there and appropriate supports and integration policies put in place to welcome people from other, diverse backgrounds. One big issue the last few years in Europe has been the lack of proper integration, which can have devastating real world consequences. Germany, for instance, yet again losing the life of a young person at the hands of a refugee; a 27 year old Eritrean refugee stabbed and killed a 14 year old girl on her way to school in Germany.

These things don't really become a problem until it's too late so being proactive is absolutely essential as one life is a life too much to lose for an improperly implemented immigration policy. When we see in Ireland that there is absolutely no housing whatsoever available and yet the government is still welcoming in thousands of immigrants, I don't think this can be sustainable and it is better to address any potential issues at the beginning of such a policy change and not during the event where the horse could have already bolted and make it tough to introduce some integration and risk management measures.

The extent of homelessness is far greater than the people sleeping rough.

it's all the people in hostels, family hubs, and other homeless services.

there is a real crisis of accommodation in the country, as evidenced by the lack of rental properties. I would consider myself well paid, with a decent budget for rent, but I found if really difficult to find anywhere to rent, after I sold my house earlier this year. there are many thousands of people stuck living with their parents, because of the lack of rentals. People with permission to stay can't leave Direct Provision centres, because they can't rent anywhere.

strangely enough, his (Joseph Nyirenda) linkedin profile paints a rather different picture, assuming it's the same person, than the one you are portraying, various different jobs with the County council etc.

Interesting, out of interest - unfortunately I’m unable to access LinkedIn - are they actual County Council positions or are they advisory positions connected NGOs?

Where are you getting your information that Nyirenda came here as an asylum seeker?

I haven’t ignored the prevalence of African nationals who are outside the labour force either. They can’t be considered part of the labour force if they’re outside of it. It doesn’t mean they aren’t entitled to enter into the country. That’s why I pointed out earlier that your idea doesn’t even work in theory, because you’re ignoring the fact that immigrants families are entitled to come here, and there is no stipulation that they must enter the labour force -

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/coming-to-join-family-in-ireland/

That they have low employment rates in the labour force and low participation rates in the labour force doesn’t mean they are undesirable in the labour force, it means they are not being used, that they may be undesirable to employers, or that they may be shooting themselves in the foot during interviews. As it happens, Nyirenda is now self-employed -

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseph-nyirenda-466b8a27

As far as multiculturalism is concerned, the point was that in contrast to the belief that Africans are incompatible with Irish culture, they aren’t, because the economic and social model which you refer to as outdated, isn’t. It’s just not a culture you share. It’s why there is such consternation in some quarters over the idea of removing the provision in the Irish Constitution which places an obligation on the State to recognise the support given to the State by women working in the home, without which the common good cannot be achieved -

2     1° In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html#article41

The sort of idealism which seeks to remove the provision, is not reflected in Irish society where women in the labour force is 53%, and women not in the labour force is 47% -

Roderick is concerned a referendum could be lost if the Government isn’t careful about the wording -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/careful-wording-needed-for-referendum-on-women-s-place-in-the-home-minister-says-1.4835366

• Advertisement

Portraying the current situation in relation to the housing and accommodation sector in Ireland as a crisis is being dramatic, was my point. It’s a crisis for those people who have no accommodation, and even then as I pointed out previously, it turns out even people who are homeless have standards -

Fr McVerry observed: “The biggest complaint I get from homeless people is they wake up in the morning… the people they’re sharing the room with are gone, and so are all their belongings.

"The second biggest complaint is that they wake up in the middle of the night and people in the room are injecting heroin or smoking crack cocaine in front of them."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/peter-mcverry-some-homeless-people-feel-safer-in-tents-than-in-hostels-1239849

I don’t imagine Nyirenda is a name that’s all that common in Galway 🤔😂

I had checked his LinkedIn profile before I saw your post, but I don’t think it does paint a different picture than the one I portrayed? Article is from 2018 when he was unemployed, and now three years later is self-employed. Surely that demonstrates initiative on his part that he is no longer unemployed and is actively engaged in the labour force?

If Geert had their way, he would never have been permitted entry into the country in the first place. Seems a bit short-sighted IMO.

Advertisement