Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why inheritance is the dirty secret of the middle classes – harder to talk about than sex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

The naivety of people who think the government would use confiscated inheritance for the betterment of poorer people is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

how so? yes, the current government probably so, but a future government, maybe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Rustyman101

So a mysterious future government is going to spread the wealth? Communism because its worked so well, least it explains where all the money will come from........"the rich" AKA the dopes who get up at 6:30 every morning and head to work.

P.S. I'm one of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I think there should be consistency with the same rules applying to all, regardless of whether they are living in the house, not living in the house or inheriting a farm or business. I would think the amount you should be able to inherit tax free should be higher than 335k as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah yea, the ould childish use of 'communism' bad! no, im not talking about changing our fundamental ideology, i.e. capitalism, as it has clearly proven itself globally, including here in ireland, clearly! but it is now becoming clearly obvious globally, our current form of the ideology, is a complete train wreck for all, including the wealthy, there is now sufficient evidence globally to prove this!

once again, wealth is accumulating effectively in the accounts of entities, they are not human beings, for all the world, we re inflating the value of electrons on servers, more than likely in tax havens such as ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well it's lucky that you don't get to make the rules or the country would be fu$ked. Many small family businesses would be long gone out of business.

Ironically, if your "rules" came into play, such assets as farmland would decrease in nominal value in any case and the tax take would be minimal. In return for decimating an important contributor to both GDP (and food security too of course). The fact is that farmland will not pay for itself in terms of return from working it or leasing it out. So such a scheme is fantasy.

The reason for the 100% relief for people living in the house is to prevent cases where a person has to leave their home. I agree with that exception. That is not the same scenario as the child with dollar signs in their eyes visiting their elderly parents once a month for any promising signs that they might be getting frail or ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It sounds like you want people to be rewarded for hard work. Then why would you want people to be rewarded for something they have no part in, the wealth of their family?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It depends on which measure you are using. Your pick was GINI, which is mostly influenced by income:

Inequality isn’t all about income. Here’s a guide to different ranking systems...Measuring comparative levels of global inequality is far from straightforward. Is it fair to focus only on financial inequalities, or should we consider quality of life too? If so, how do you measure it? https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/datablog/2017/apr/26/inequality-index-where-are-the-worlds-most-unequal-countries

Tha Palma ratio is what the UN Human Development Index uses and which the Guardian says is more in favour as a measure, that being the case... Australia rated 0.951 and Ireland rated 0.945.

So given I said social equity not income equity, I'll stand by what I said. Pretty hard to argue with the 2.5 year average life expectancy gap also.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Why should the government be rewarded? If I get a mortgage, pay it off over 35 years and then die 10 years later, it should just be confiscated and given to the state? No thanks. At least my son cut the grass a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

But we already have that. A few years ago the top 1% paid 21% of income tax receipts.

• Advertisement

I think your opinions are a bit inconsistent here. Is inheritance tax to prevent inter-generational wealth or purely revenue generating?

I think it is interesting that you use the term "family business" and not the parent's business, yet, with a house it isn't the "family house".

You use emotive examples like the dollar sign eyed child turning up occasionally to check if their parent has died yet, in opposition to the noble and deserving child living at home, or heir to a business or farm. There are plenty of "children" living at home that the parents would have liked to get rid of a long time ago and also plenty of lower income children looking after their parents while paying their own rent.

A child living at home, could have a lien put on the house when they inherit it. They wouldn't have to move out. If farm land can't pay for itself, then it is overvalued and their is some market inefficiency that is allowing it to happen.

We could just treat all family wealth the same and allow it to be passed on with lower inheritance tax, rather than the current system that gives preference to some that you see as more deserving.

You ignore, or are not aware, of the fact the people inheriting such assets (business or farmland) traditionally have often "earned" it already. Many would have forgone their own career to stay at home to help their family business, often at well below market wages.It would be nonsensical to destroy a small business for a small amount of money. Many of the businesses would close in advance anyway as there would be no point in a child staying at home to help out if they know that when the parent passes that the business would have to be liquidated. In most cases anyway, what is passed on is kept and further passed on later. The value of it is not really relevant to the beneficiary on a day-to-day basis

There are also additional conditions. For business relief, the main stumbling block would be the working requirement. For Ag relief, the main stumbling block would be the asset test. For either, the relief is clawed back unless the beneficiary keeps the inheritance for at least 6 years.

If the house is indeed the "family house" then the child who is living in it can inherit it 100% free of inheritance tax. Whether it be worth 100k or 100 million.

And as pointed out previously, you are free to put your money into farmland or a business should you so wish. Some people do indeed do that as a form of tax planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I would rather this country was run by a company to be honest, at least it would have to comply within its limitations for starters, that is before mentioning efficiencies. I appreciate you have an articulate opinion, I don't think your occupation is relative to this argument, or your salary, why do you?

Elaborate on you how you feel that taxing Irish families will somehow improve domestic productivity, an example of your rationale might be interesting, sincerely? Please share.

You can thank Charlie for creating the IFSC, it was his idea and he got it off the drawing board. You and all your colleagues owe him bigtime, don't forget it. Our free education system is fantastic, nothing to do with inheritance?

I am not prepared to accept your aspersion or speculation on social entitlement, are you inferring that all your 6 figure pals working down the markets are there because their folks sent them to a posh school or something, straight question? As a caveat to the tone of your argument concerning free education, do you think there is a disparity in standards between free v private - we are all doing the same Leaving Certificate?

What output would you like to improve? To what end? I am struggling with this inequality argument, how is this problem huge? How big is huge in the 3rd millenium?

I hope you don't talk about this with the rest of your colleagues in the IFC who are farmed for € 190 k a year? How do they feel about the policy of increasing a flat tax by 65 percent and inhibiting the potential personal purchasing power of Free State people by € 1 trillion euro? Do you think this is a good idea or a reactive idea? How do you feel about the motivations of tax increases, has the State or its' citizens' received any tangible benefit from 15 year old austerity measures being rebranded so as to not highlight why they were introduced for?

Apologies for labelling you a communist directly, that was an assumption btw. But do you think handing the state money for nothing is a good idea? Do you trust the state to spend it properly? Are you a communist?

Inheritance tax means that valuable assets cannot just be sat on in return for rent indefinitely. That promotes economic activity in the same way that reasonable inflation does.

If your parents were wealthy and leave you and each of your siblings 10m, well a portion of that will be clawed back. If you want to pass 10m on to your kids then you will have to work a bit too! So you will have to do something productive with your remaining 7m.

Nobody has "earned" millions in farmland by helping out on the farm.

You didn't answer the question though, what is the purpose of inheritance tax? Is it to prevent inter-generational wealth transfer or is it purely a revenue generating exercise?

I think what you are describing is allowing wealth to concentrate in a family. I think your view is probably one shared by people who either come from a rural background with farming in the family, or a middle class business owning background. Exactly the type of person who gets into politics and comes up with the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well the sons or daughters of an asset rich individual may well have helped out in running - managing the asset , more than the government did anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭I see sheep

IHT should be 100% 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

not really, hundreds of millions of extra euro just announced, to be given to fuel allowance etc. Robbing from the poor to give to the number one priority, the non workers. Robbing from the working poor to give to the idle comfortable...

You come across as very bitter. Average farm is 80 acres in Ireland and the average price of farmland jumped to 11k this year. Bear in mind that a person inheriting an 880k farm will have to have total non-agricultural assets less than 220k in order to avail of that relief. i.e. if they got a mortgage and bought a house worth 230k, they won't qualify for it. You have no idea what anyone has or has not earned. How many millions would you expect to earn in your own lifetime working a 9-5 in an office?

As I said, you are entitled to put your own millions into this mythical farmland scheme to avoid tax if you so wish. When you look into the details you might well come to the conclusion that it isn't actually worth it for you to do so.

Allowing a family farm to remain intact has absolutely nothing to do with allowing wealth to concentrate. The family farm is a source of income. The value of the land is irrelevant and has no economic relation to what it can return. It is not rational, but that is the way it is. Very little farmland is actually sold. That is why it is so expensive. As mentioned above, it is not the same as the child visiting once-a-month with the dollar signs in their eyes biding their time until they can cash in. Most people inheriting farmland will take care of it and try to pass it on to the next generation.

Then they can potentially only have to pay about 3% of the value they inherit over 3.35m

• Advertisement

I actually don't mind that kids can inherit a farm, even if it is above average in size. Most families want to be able to pass on what they have worked their whole lives for to make their own children's lives a bit easier. In the case of urban families, the wealth accumulated is often a single property which they themselves have worked for.

The issue I have is the inconsistency. Also, I am not sure if you are connecting the dots with the price of farmland there. It is expensive because people don't have to sell it. Probably because they inherited it and have an emotional attachment to it.

How many millions would I expect to make working in an office? It depends on the job. What would you pay a farmhand? It takes me less than 3.5 years to earn 1 million. I want to pass as much of that on to my kids as possible.

It's not inconsistent. A farm is a business. Same as any other business. It is not a windfall to inherit it if you are working it. It is merely something that provides you a below average income for above-average effort. It might be a windfall to inherit it if you work off-farm, but then you likely won't qualify for ag relief anyway.

Your parents house, sitting in some housing estate somewhere which maybe has jumped massively in value due to State investment in infrastructure in the area, is not a business nor does it contribute to GDP. It will likely be something you just cash in and sell, or else move into and sell your own house. It is not the source of your, or anyone else's, income. Nor have you contributed to keeping it maintained and running with your own effort over the past 20 years. You were, instead, off working and living your own life. Their house is nothing to do with you.

If you have two families, each with one kid. One kid is Paddy and one in Mary. Paddy fecks off when he is 23 and goes to the city and gets a job. Buys a house and has a good living. Starts to visit his parents once a month when they get old. When they get frail he packs them off to the nursing home. Mary stays at home to help her parents out. She looks after them as they get older. She works in the local shop so that she can stay close to them and she continues to live with them. When her parents pass away she will rightfully get the house 100% tax free. It is her house. When Paddy's parents pass away he will rightfully be taxed on his windfall.

I mean you aren't going to get much sympathy on here whinging about having a pay a bit or tax while at the same time saying that someone who forgoes a career to help their parents won't earn anything towards inheriting the family farm. Your condescension is fairly nauseating. The inheritance tax saving on the average farm would be less than 180k if you qualify for Ag relief. How many years of your career would you be willing to forgo for that?

You sound like the the rural chip on the shoulder about Dubliners type. As I said, I don't have a problem with people inheriting a farm, the ones you consider deserving. There are plenty of people living in Dublin doing a bit more than visiting their parents once a month while also paying their own way. I think both should be able to inherit a reasonable amount and that would be more than the average Dublin, probably the type of a house in a housing estate that you would sneer at. The infrastructure in the area didn't condense from the ether, but would have been paid for by taxpayers, including those living there. Probably even more so as they are unable to massage their income to avoid income tax.

On the flip side, taking the other point, food production would probably be more efficient if farms became larger due to smaller inefficient hobby type farms selling off land.

On the flip side, taking the other point, food production would probably be more efficient if farms became larger due to smaller inefficient hobby type farms selling off land.

Why do you think they decided that it might not be a good idea to have a forced selling of 33% of a farm after it is inherited.................................

As you have indicated yourself, you have the ability to buy either farmland or a business and create the conditions to bequeath your wealth to whomever you want. So you have absolutely no justification for whinging.

You will also have the money to give your children any advantage when starting off. You should have a bit of confidence in them that they will be able to do well for themselves and not sponge off your effort forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The funny thing is that a few on this thread would have you believe that your parents are paying for the wealthy to say wealthy, when anyone can see that they are paying for those who choose to live off the state permanently.

Whereas you want someone who has done nothing for anyone and scrounged off the state to get their hands on this persons family wealth?

Gotcha.

Perhaps spend more time trying to build some wealth to pass on rather than grab at others?

I'll never understand people who post on opinion threads like this only to repeat "its the law".

You are adding precisely zero to the thread when you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was asked what should a person do in the situation as described by Princess. I suggested that they seek legal advice as what they appeared to want to do (take ownership of the property, benefit from ownership of the property, and refuse to pay CAT on the value of the property), is not possible under Irish law.

I did acknowledge that it was the obvious answer to a hypothetical question about what anyone should do in those circumstances. If there is a tax liability, they’re obligated to pay it, seems simple enough.

Pointless hypothetical questions on the other hand…

"you have no idea what anyone has or has not earned"

Thats rich coming from the lad who a couple of pages back was buys telling me that I couldn't possibly pay as much tax as you, no matter how many houses I inherited.

You are as consistent and coherent as your namesake.

• Advertisement

All the while missing that the crux of there argument is that there shouldnt be a tax liability

Advertisement