Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

In 2021 there were 142,000 new cars sold in all of Ireland. Assuming annual sales of 150,000 per year between now and 2030, that would require 78% of all cars sold between now and 2030 to be EV/hybrid. I think in 2022 it's 21% for the first 7 months, so might hit 22% for the full year. The charging network won't be a problem, there are so many places where chargers can be provided that fit in with people's daily activities, supermarket car parks, leisure centres. These would only be required by people living in apartments since everyone with a house would have their own charger. Private companies have shown a readiness to deploy new charging sites where they see a business opportunity, eg. Applegreen. I don't see any problems with our grid being able to handle the future demand, Eirgrid are very competent.

The biggest problem I can see is that as Ireland urbanises and those urban dwellers are increasingly becoming apartment dwellers rather than living in a detached house, these people are disincentivised to purchase an EV due to the lack of charging at their car space. I think new apartment blocks should have all parking spaces cabled up so that a charger can installed where required. How this would be metered is a separate (solvable) issue. Building management companies and fire departments however will be reluctant to encourage EVs in their underground car parks dues to the difficulty of access and extinguishing. So that's another issue that will need to be addressed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Enfield West Bound

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

They've increased spending on active travel 5 fold in 3 years. Bit harsh to say they're doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I think the fire issue depends on the battery type. I see LFP being touted as much safer from a fire safety aspect. Cobalt free too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

@slave1 are they applegreen units?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Enfield - is that replacing the existing unit or an additional one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well I'd argue their approach is misguided. They're right to install cycle lanes, but it's all shared infrastructure with cars which is just a nightmare for everyone, literally the worst of both worlds

If you look at places where cycling is common, they tend to have clear divisions between roads optimised for cars and ones for bikes and pedestrians. It's a much better experience for both

I appreciate that sometimes there isn't much choice, but there also seems to be a shocking disconnect between what they signal as intentions and what actually gets built

On top of that, the level of maintenance for cycling infrastructure is far worse. Leaf and snow clearing tends to block up cycleways rather than clear them

And I get there's a limit on what any government can realistically achieve in one election cycle, but the government parties have signalled what they intend to achieve by 2030 and I don't think they're anywhere near on track for that

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Do you mean proper infrastructure like the Luas tram extensions, multiple 24h bus routes, Luas Finglas, MetroLink, Bus Connects (routes and corridor improvements), N11 P&R and the additional Local Link/Connecting Ireland services nationwide? What about cycling routes like Dun Laoghaire CMR, the Clontarf to city route, the Grand Canal cycle route or gradual improvements like Kilgobbin to Sandyford or along Drummartin Rd.

Public and active transport won't be perfect when all those are done but it's daft to say they're doing nothing. And every one of those projects will do far more for reducing our emissions and improving our liveability than converting the car fleet to EV.

Okay fair point, but at lot of those are preexisting plans. As I recall the Luas extension was under discussion the last time the Greens were in coalition, and the Bus connects program was decided by the last government

Executing an already existing plan that was already funded doesn't count as a great accomplishment IMO, but it doesn't stop the current government banging on about it like they built it themselves

A lot of the new cycling infrastructure seems good, but as I said there's a lot of shared infrastructure which isn't great. There's also big gaps in it where a cycle lane ends and cyclists are chucked out onto the road with the cars, a situation likely to cause more accidents. The dots don't join up, at least in any way that I can see

I absolutely agree that public transport and cycling are key, but it really seems all efforts end inside the M50, and even then don't always seem well thought out

• Advertisement

In addition, and there is still the spare eCars stall untouched, the new one in placed a few meters from the existing eCars charger

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The cable length suggests they are the same units... any car in any space...... AG for the win.

Woohoo, but it looks a bit lonely, hopefully it gets some friends installed soon

Did you spot any groundworks for more chargers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I thought the spare eCars spaces were the old AC spots that were removed when they upgraded to triple heads.

They are, and still there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

>The charging network won't be a problem,

>there are so many places where chargers can be provided that fit in with people's daily activities,

I disagree. It can take 1 year from deciding to put in a charger to it becoming operational. There is a worldwide shortage of DC chargers and supply chain delays. ESB networks can take 6 months for supply upgrades. There is also possibly planning and new substations to be built.

If government has a tender process, which they have talked about for 2023 that will delay any rollouts as interested parties lobby to get the tender rules the way they want the tender goes out, the winners announced, the winners go for planning, planning approval, order chargers, install chargers and get supply grid upgraded. We are probably 5 years behind Scotland in infrastructure. There is no signs of us catching up. If anything public chargers per EV on the road ratio is going down even with new sites. Already EV sales are being impacted by lack of public charging even for those that can get home chargers. I could have convinced 3/4 people to go EV but I don't recommend it due to problems on long trips. It only makes sense for the hassle if you have a 100km daily commute then the fuel savings make sense.

It looks like ESB is being kicked out if motorway services with a monopoly supplier, and no operator is rolling out at any scale that will solve the between cities problem.

I believe it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Looks like France has the right idea ensuring there are chargers along rural routes and not just motorways

My only issue is that they're targeting petrol sstations. The local shop or cafe would be a better option IMO

Although in my experience of driving through rural towns in Ireland, the shop, cafe and petrol station are often the same business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

A car transporter fire involving seven electric vehicles has shut part of the M1.

Might as well name and shame. They were all I-Paces 🙂

Given that it was a load of EVs on fire and there was no risk of explosion and it was the rear half of the trailer on fire, could the truck driver have dropped the trailer and moved the tractor unit away from the fire?

Post edited by josip on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tbh if I was the driver I'd be trying to put as much distance between the truck and myself as possible. There's a reason insurance exists 😉

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There was a similar incident last year, the axle of the trailer overheats.

https://twitter.com/davegrahamS025/status/1447546916833792004/photo/3

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see there is a piece in The Times today about Toyota. Its supposed to be an interesting read but unfortunately its behind a pay wall:( ,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The article says Toyota want people to buy hybrids.

Not exactly EV news but some interesting movement from the French government to cut down on short haul flights

I wonder would we ever see anything like that here. Probably not, as the requirement is that there's a good rail link between two cities for the flight route to be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Part of this strategy also includes the five additional Toyota bZ models for Europe, beginning with the small electric car next year,

This is actually the right approach for Europe. If the existing manufacturers dont start copping on to the need to providing affordable small EVs, then Chinese will end up dominating this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seems like a bit if a crazy move. Sure it might mean less flights in the air buts it's also disadavataging some people maybe who might have had a small airport near buy but not a train station or who for whatever reason do not like travelling by train. Its basically the French Government taking out the competition to benefit there rail network.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Well that depends on Toyota's definition of small. I mean there's a Yaris crossover now that looks similar size to an Peugeot 2008 but is still probably considered a small car

There's definitely a gap though for some small EVs. There's options available, but most of them are either ancient or just not available

If Toyota delivered an electric Yaris with around 40kWh of battery and reasonable fast charging they could be a winner.

Look how well the E-Up sells and that's another example of an ancient and overpriced EV

Advertisement