Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Many thanks for the offer but I'm OK at the moment, I was mainly being triggered about the general problem Anpost represents where so many things have and are dependent on batteries and this lot seem to be protecting Irish physical retailers at the expense of the populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Update on Spiderman Miles Morales Epic Store version, while I got the game working and input working, it's completely unplayable, there's red glow everywhere in the background.

I've tried multiple Proton versions to no avail.

This is disappointing, I'm sure it will be resolved eventually but for me the deck is useless for newer games on other stores, great for Steam Store games but YMMV with anything else.

I'm very disappointed with the deck, it's not Valves fault but the fact it needs specific versions/updates for non steam games.

Will use it as an emulation handheld and Steam backlog device from now on and leave it at that.

Also as an aside the Epic Game Store version of Uncharted doesn't even launch.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Any reason you opted for the Epic Games store version over Steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

hmmm

buying a "steam deck" to play where i get games from store fronts other than "steam" and want it to work on my steam deck. Right...

i get you may have got the game cheaper or even free on epic, but cheap and free aren't always good things. We live in a world of convenience and you generally pay for that.

Refund on epic if you paid for it and get it on the steam store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

How can you be disappointed that it doesn't do something it was never meant to do.

It's just a bonus that anything outside of the Deck verified Steam games run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Steam Deck is a 'PC', but it comes with significantly more caveats than your standard desktop. Between its Linux-based OS, low-power and limited hardware relative to a desktop or laptop, and its controller-based interface, it's never going to be as adaptable as a full-fat traditional PC will be. "Here be dragons" when you venture outside the main Steam ecosystem.

I personally think of it as a Steam device with nice bonus access to some external tools like emulators and third-party stores, just without the ease of use of a standard Windows PC. BUT nonetheless the fact that the Proton magic Valve has worked means modern Steam games work as well as they do on Linux-based mobile hardware remains a fairly remarkable feat of technology, and the sheer level of customizability and openness still separates it from a standard console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

I haven't used my Steam deck since I got it way back on pre Order. I originally got it to use on the TV with controllers, didn't like the lag and feel of it. Then recently tried to play it as a handheld, bought Vampire survivor, and lost track of time 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

They have made huge improvements to the docked mode recently

Nice little acceptance speech from Gabe. Congrats to... us, the community

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Don't suppose the hardware will have any BF 1/2 price deals? 😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steam Autumn Sale started yesterday, runs until Tuesday Nov 29th. 🙂

Anybody used this on a plane? I hear there's some issues when you cannot connect to steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

Why is it so hard to buy stuff on steam store. Is it PayPal or nothing on there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, I used it briefly. It's a bit awkward. There are a few glitches and weirdness when offline - relatively minor things like achievements popping at strange times or not at all, and just a lack of polish that you'd get with a typical handheld console that isn't hooked up online. But if you have the games downloaded and patched, you can still play away without much issue. Just in general the Steam Deck is a bit annoying when offline or even just with patchy WiFi. Syncing with Steam Cloud in particular gets messy.

There is a recently improved 'offline mode', though, which you should definitely enable, as it makes it smoother overall though still not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Played almost all of Dead Space 2 on a plane with no hassle, and this was back in when it was only out a month. It might give you a few random errors but you should be fine to play whatever you want.

Probably more ways to buy on Steam than on any other store in the world

Visa and Mastercard are there.

also, every major retailer across the country has Steam gift cards at the checkouts and you can also buy with a huge range of Cryptos on various sites

I see all the options but it kept hanging when I went to finalise purchase on a visa and a Mastercard. Got it done with PayPal after. Steam deck on the way. Can’t wait.

I ordered the 256gb deck and I got a 1tb sd card aswell. The A2 version. I’m intending on installing windows to play some multiplayer stuff ie destiny and cod both of which have anti cheat software built in which won’t allow them run on Linux. Been doing my research and I’m a bit confused about what I should do. Should I just get a second sd card for windows and windows games and keep it separate altogether from the steam os stuff and just run windows from the sd card. Will this run smoothly enough to allow games to play well or will I need to install to the ssd.

Or should I just wait until dual boot is properly integrated in a future update.

Post edited by eggy81 on

I've started looking at doing the same. There are some benefits and negatives from using Windows. As you mention it opens it up to other things (I'm looking at Playstation plus cloud streaming) but I do hear performance takes a hit.

Will go the SD card install route as it allows you to swap back and forth.

It seems swapping sd cards would be the safer option currently. Windows updates can cause issues and overwrite non windows files in ssd too apparently. Seems flakey enough

• Advertisement

In the process of doing it now. It just takes time to write windows to the SD card but other than that it's going okay (famous last words). Will update once installed.

That was fairly painless, just took time. Windows now boots off its own swappable SD card (even uses the SD as the C: drive).

You need to have a PC that has a card reader, but everything else is just software and time.

• Grab the windows boot tool and create a ISO boot file. (10 mins)
    • Grab a program called Rufus that will write it to the SD card. (20 mins)
    • Grab the 6 drivers from the Steam site. Copy them to the SD card to a folder called "drivers" and extract them while you are on the PC. (5 mins).
    • Then pop in the SD card out of the PC and into the Steam Deck.
    • Hold Vol Down and Press the Power on button to get the boot menu.
    • Select to boot from the SD card (3rd option).
    • Windows then installs. This takes about 10 mins and installs sideways :)
    • During installation remember your wifi and Bluetooth won't work so just select "I can't connect online" and "limited install" during setup.
    • Once it installs flip the display in settings to landscape.
    • Then run the drivers from the SD card to add wifi, Bluetooth and audio etc.
    • That's it. Ready to use as a windows machine!!

That’s a nice little guide. I’ll be using that. Am I right in assuming the software you download while in windows will automatically download to you windows sd card then without you needing to specify it. Let me know how games run when you get a chance. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what are the 6 Steam drivers?

That seems to be the case. The C Drive is the SD Card. I have a 500 GB card and that is what shows as the size on the C:.

Installing EA app, Epic launcher, Steam, Playstation plus, Xbox games pass for PC now. All just simple exe installs.

Will see about the performance, Vampire survivors works fine :)

I did have to grab a driver for the steam deck controls for non steam games but that was handy too.

Performance is wonky. It's certainly not optimized for windows. If you are doing something like installing a game just don't do anything else. It's not cut out for that, likely due to read/write bottleneck on the SD.

Installed EA App and Need for speed Unbound. That's just out today I think and a reasonably high spec'd title.

First boot took ages. I'm assuming it's due to reading from the SD Card (it's an A1).

To the point I thought it was stuck. I'd say it was on a black screen for 5 mins (part of that was a windows permission pop up that I didn't see as it was behinfld the game) and then an install screen for a good 10mins.

But once it did get to the menu in game the rest was good. I stuck it on borderless window mode, auto graphics settings and 60fps and it ran like a charm in game.

Looks really nice and I can't really fault it. Loads into maps and races quickly enough.

So not as optimized as steam OS for playing out of the box. But certainly worth doing as it opens up many more options without the messing with loaders and compatibility layers.

Probably gamed more on Steam Deck than on my PC all year in the last 2 weeks. Brotato is taking up all my time now

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anyone not use the back paddle buttons or is it just me? Dunno what update they did for the battery life but I am getting four hours out of divinity 2 now and before I was only getting 2, I am on the beta stable channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Don't use the back buttons much, only in binding of isaac where I mapped r to one. That way I can hold it for quick restart. Think they're a great option though, there'll definetly be games where they come in very handy

Advertisement