Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Says one of the posters who has made no effort to evidence this claim.

'that people in the border region have violence in their blood'

Because it cannot be backed up, what we are getting is stubborn stereotyping and arrogant posturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,888 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The usual whataboutery and weak deflection.

It's not just about "having info to give" it's about feeling free to speak critically - or even to associate without fear with people who have spoken critically. Nobody is afraid to criticise Michael Lowry...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

What? Just look at other crimes that Gardai have to solve, they are difficult because of the nature of crime, people simply don't have the info to give.

Sean Quinn has gotten criticised here from the get go. There has always been three schools of thought one critical and one loyal to him and of course, those with no opinion at all, (probably the highest number of the three)

Of course our wonderful media was only interested in portraying one side of that for the edification of those who swallow the bigotry of Dukes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,888 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Utter waffle and entirely irrelevant. You know well what I was talking about. Intimidation and fear in "Quinn country" about speaking out against the man or even being seen to associate with people who would speak out against him.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Utter fantasy stuff. Based on nothing but stereotypes.

There were vociferous critics of Quinn right throughout the region from the start.

There may have been incidents but that doesn't mean it was widespread.

After a day of trying to justify his comments and pressure from a TD he accused of having 'violence in her blood', Dukes apologies for his 'offensive' remarks. He accepts it was offensive, I wonder will others who backed him up apologise too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'm still quite puzzled to hear that two Dubs landing up to Cavan and engaging in an absolutely horrific crime is evidence that I, as someone from a border county, have violence in my blood.

Truly enlightening to be told I'm quicker to turn to violence than, just as a random example, someone from East Wall in Dublin.

Absolute nonsense from Dukes, happily parroted by the usual suspects who have zero lived experience in the area, with all the undue confidence in the world in their opinion because they read something once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bigot?

Are people from the border their own race or ethnicity now?

Correct.

Alan Dukes was more right then he was wrong. It's just some here don't want to admit it.

• Advertisement

Well, when news broke on Kevin Lumneys abduction, and subsequent beating and torture, you found it all oddly amusing and didn't display any disgust or concern about the event.

Now here you are, defending the actions of 'border people'

As I said, actions speak louder than words and the actions of 'border people' in relation to the PIRA, Criminality and mafia-style gangs leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I suggest you look up the definition of bigotry again there, Mark.

I'd say it's a bit of a heavy handed use of the term, but it certainly could be applied here.

All racism is inherently bigoted, not all bigotry is racist.

At the beginning of the coalition I said Leo had the talent to make himself more unpopular than Martin. And that he would blow the 30% lead in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That's pretty much the claim that Dukes made, and for which he has since apologised. So, yeah, bigotry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is clear the the border counties have lived for the last century in an atmosphere of suppression and violence. That violence and suppression was visited on them by the organs of the British state via the NI gov, the RUC, the B Specials, the allocation of houses and jobs, etc.

Following the popular 1968/1969 People's Democracy marches, and their violent suppression, the divisions in NI were exposed.

The Loyalist gangs like the UVF, UDA, etc (backed by Unionist politicians) formed murder squads with the intention of bringing terror to the Catholic population. The IRA (followed by the PIRA) reacted to this by their own campaigns that brought terror to the protestant population.

The British Gov (before 1969) were completely unaware of the gerrymandering, misgovernment, and general bigotry exercised in NI. [Even recently, UK Gov ministers expressed surprise that voters only vote for their side in elections.] The Gov reaction, as historically happened following any uprising by the Catholic side, was to bring in coercion in the form (this time) of the Paratroopers and shoot to kill.

No wonder those in the border counties expect reactions to any thing that disadvantages their side is to expect violence from somewhere. They also follow the tradition of 'What ever you say, say nothing'.

Was that what Dukes was referring to?

Your potted history lacks nuance Sam.

'One' minister didn't know there were 'sides'. And they were well aware of gerrymandering, misgovernment etc. They stood by when Unionists changed the voting system that came with partition. Take a look at the understanding Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan had at the outbreak of the recent conflict/war. They understood it and Wilson knew that the wrong actions would radicalise the south and he feared doing that. Tory, Heath also knew but didn't care, setting a pattern. See: Contemporary debates in HoC and relevant autobiog/biogs.

Also, violence and internecine warfare/conflict came to border areas when the border was hardened. It was confined mostly to the cities of Derry and Belfast to begin with. Displacement from the cities and deportation didn't help either.

Dukes was being, by his own admission, offensive. A pattern from that particular political quarter too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually, that is not so.

Wilson, at the time (Southern) Rhodesia wanted to declare UDI to prevent 'one man one vote' demanded by the Wilson led Gov was told by Ian Smith that the UK did not have 'one man one vote'. On Wilson's denial, Smith pointed to NI and the extra votes given to property owners that favoured the Unionists, Wilson said he was unaware of it. That predates the People's Democracy marches.

Check it out.

Politicians are caught out on lies all the time Sam.

Wilson fully understood what was going on in the North at the time.

I am talking about the situation that existed prior to the 1968 PD marches. It was a surprise to Wilson, as NI had not been a concern to any UK Gov since the Emergency (WW II).

If Wilson was told in 1966, then he knew about it for some years before the PD marches in 1968 and did nothing about it. It can't have come as a surprise to him in 1968/69.

• Advertisement

Ian Smith declared UDI in 1965. That is the time that Ian Smith told Wilson that 'One Man One Vote' was not the case in NI. Wilson did not believe him and was surprised to find he was correct. At that time, NI was of no interest to the Westminster bubble. [Edit: The Gov of the UK had no intention of interfering in NI politics as it was a no-win action]

If my arithmetic and calendar is correct, 1965 is before 1966.

It didn't. He was discussing electoral reform in 1968 with Terence O'Neill. It should also be noted that he, Callaghan and even Heath were visitors to NI. and Wilson as a young MP had worked on Northern Ireland.

I suspect Smith caught him out and he feigned ignorance. Not unusual in a politicain tbf.

I assumed Smith had told him in 1966, at their face-to-face meeting, but if it was 1965, that just underlines my point. Wilson knew several years before the PD marches and the kick-off of the troubles, and he chose to do nothing.

and he chose to do nothing.

That's incorrect Pere. He was in conversation with O'Neill about electoral reform but got waylaid by O'Neill's troubles in dealing with the PD issues.

Remember, 1966 was the 50th anniversary of the 1916 foray in Dublin, and there was a lot of 'remembering' in the political types.

I think no-one in Dublin wanted to wake sleeping issues relating to NI. Likewise, neither did Westminster - ignorance concerning internal NI politics was complete, as was the willingness to do anything about it.

They certainly ignored what was going on, but they were well aware of it. The UVF went on a killing spree in 66 killing 3 in one day as they 'declared war on the IRA', so 'asleep' was NI.

Well, he chose to do nothing effective.

This fits into a broader pattern of malign neglect. NI basically festered for fifty-years — a one-party sectarian state hiding behind the trappings of democracy. It was intentionally created by the British to be such a state, and they looked other way for fifty years either because they did not care what happened in NI, or they knew that what happened in NI would embarrass them and felt they were better off not knowing about it.

Towards the end of the 60s the wheels came off that strategy in a fairly unavoidable way; Westminster was forced to pay attention to what happened in NI and, as the sovereign power, to take some responsibility for it. But I don't think many in Westminister, on either side of British politics, was keen for that to happen; they continued to avert their eyes for as long as they possibly could.

Yes, I agree, but it isn't fair to say he 'did nothing'.

Events overtook him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The biggest challenge facing the world is dealing with climate change. It is genuinely worrying when we see comments like those from Matt Carthy - the “best-case scenario” is that there are no Green Party TDs elected at the next general election.

Without Green party TDs, there will be nobody to hold a government to account on the issue of climate change. When you add in the ducking and diving with regard to sectoral targets for climate change, anyone concerned about climate change would definitely have to be fearful of the prospect of Sinn Fein in government.

As Patrick Costello said "Sinn Féin hid away while everyone got stuck in, and it’s rich of them now throwing insults around when there was a meaningful debate they walked away from,".

• Advertisement

Advertisement