Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If Ndo was on he would be dancing on the couch I’d say.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

How many years of Dunphy, Giles and Brady doing exactly that. RTE is not known for its innovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

He said the same 8 years ago when Columbia did it. Some ex professionals really don't like keepers been subbed on unless injured or sending off for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Welcome to Eaven !

I remember 82 and that Brazilian team. They were a joy to watch. Just about everyone was convinced they were going to Samba their way to the trophy (think Dunphy actually was the exception, and thereby set the template for the rest of his punditry career) until Italy and Rossi did a number on them. I was devastated at the time. The Italy game was epic and could have gone either way. Still have to be the best team not to win the trophy (possibly Hungary in 1954, but that was way before my time.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You'd expect England to beat Spain, Portugal, Swiss, or Morocco, in next round, so for England the next game is by far the hardest. Beat France and it's a walk to the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ide say Italy in 94. Amazing players in every position and 2 of the best defenders in the history of the game in one team.

Easy for lads who played positions where you are subbed on and off the whole time to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The face on Kenny Cunningham when agreeing with Didi about 'bad karma' for Colombia 😂

Also, I can't believe Richie has been on the panel for over 8 years... It seems like only am3 or 4 years... I feel old 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Cant see England getting past France. Too much quality in that French side and Mbappe is playing out of his skin. Win it with a couple of goals I reckon.

Same with Croatia. They’ve been just ok, and they haven’t really had any tough opposition so far. Japan’s energy in the first half caused them problems and Brazil will have that and more.

The most interesting QF is Netherlands v Argentina - could go either way, but I’d probably back Argentina to shade it.

Jeysus if the semis are Brazil, Argentina, England and Portugal I might start agreeing with the boycott lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Brazil must've been over the moon with Korea getting through - they knew they'd play it clean. Uruguay would've kicked Brazil up and down the park. Brazil would still have won, of course, but there wouldn't have been much dancing... hard to dance on knobbled ankles!

• Advertisement

I found the thing now. It was on YouTube. At the start I was thinking ‘ah they can’t be that good’. Has to be an exaggeration surely?

By the end of it I ran out of ‘Jayus’s’ And was thinking ‘this team should be talked about all the time!’

This Brazil 22 team seem to be trying to copy the 82 vibe at least. 82 team would wallop the 22 team I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, they really were that good. They were punished by Italy for a couple of mistakes, but still looked like scoring more in that game, at least that’s my recollection of it. Still think it’s a travesty they didn’t win it. I don’t remember the 70 Brazil side, but in 82 they were something else. I think you’re right, this current team doesn’t compare. In fact I think they won it in 94 and 2002 with inferior teams to that side, at least skill wise.

Also, Ireland were very unlucky not to qualify in 82, out of a group with Holland, France and Belgium. We only missed out on goal difference, and were robbed by the ref in Brussels. I remember being quite sore that Northern Ireland qualified out of a far easier group when I really felt we had better players at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Thought Brazil should have pushed on in 2nd half and got a few more. Maybe they lack a ruthless streak. Neymar was a bit tentative but at least he was moving the ball on quickly for a change and not inviting tackles. Rafinhas finishing was chronic but otherwise probably had his best match so far and still a better option than Antony. Defence still looking solid with Alisson supreme. Hopefully they will still be dancing on Sunday week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sounds like I'm not missing much without ITV

Second half. Less exhilarating, Brazil all danced out, Jon Champion reduced to telling Ally about a local tourist attraction, a desalination plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm very surprised at the amount of people I've spoken to that think England could win the whole thing.

They've played nobody yet, and the two best teams they've played (Senegal and USA) were both easily dispatched by an average (imo) Dutch team.

The QF will be a different kettle of fish altogether. I think France will beat them comfortably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I too think France will knock them out. Maguire and Pickford - I'm just waiting for a mistake that really costs them. Every game now will be tougher and tougher and the weak links get shown up for what they are. France have been compact enough before taking their chances when they inevitably come,0-0 ht 2-0 France is how I see it panning out.

Didn’t the Dutch score 2 in the last 5 minutes against senegal and the game was pretty even throughout? Pretty sure the USA game wasn’t comfortable, think the Americans had more chances overall and the first 20 or so had them on the ropes.

These threads the last few years generally consist of

England, played no one yet,

colombia will show them - England win - Colombia are just awful …… Ukraine are the ones, no, Germany defiantly , Denmark will get them, - Senegal etc etc - England win - “such average sides, these England lads have played no one” Keep repeating until they eventually lose and say I told you so!!!

France are the favourites and rightly so but honestly you would think England are a bunch of no hopers, not a team that has conceded 2 in 4, have the most goals in the tournament and some of the best attacking players in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Re Brazil 82 and the comparisons with now.

That was a brilliant side, no doubt. However, there was a huge aura around those sides back in the 80s. We simply didn't see them play until the world cups. We had heard of the likes of Zico, Falcao, Socrates, but apart from an odd clip, we were only familiar with them from reading of their exploits, tv coverage was pretty non existent.

Nowadays, we see the likes of Richarlison and Casemiro on a weekly basis, warts and all. The aura and mystery is gone.

I said nothing about them being no hopers, I just think some have gone way overboard in their praise, based on what they've done in this tournament so far. I didn't mention 2018.

To be fair I never said you did, just the threads in general.

Bar the English press, who has gone overboard? A few people saying they can win it doesn’t seem overboard, a team in the QF with Kane, Saka, Foden, Bellingham, Rice, Sterling, Rashford etc, hardly seems excessive.

if there was a France / England combined 11 I would think it would be a fairly even split with France being clearly superior at cb.

Keepers - both have mistakes so 50/50

full backs - walker and Hernandez

Cb’s - both France

CM’s - Bellingham, Rice, Tchouameni

forwards - Mbappe, Kane, Foden

So I have it as an even split, granted not everyone would be the same but it’s not unrealistic to think England can win this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the brazilian dance celebrations are reaching All Black Haka levels for me at this point. Its not that I dont want them celebratig, or don't want them dancing - but the AMOUNT of time they dedicate to it is disrespectful to their opponents, and shameless self-indulgance. Was basically three seperate celebrations for the Richarlson third. Just kick off already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

correct, I’m dubious about any of the great players or sides unless I saw them play.

for example if Cristiano’s career was transferred to the 80s or 70s no one would have known or talked about that he completely fell off at the end of his career and the sides he played suffered from having him and he reacted in the worst possible way to being past it. The age of micro analysis of football means this will never happen again.

England have some of the best attacking players in the world, but also have a shaky defence along with a conservative and tactically limited manager who essentially hasn’t evolved or improved the team in the 5 odd years he’s been there. Protect the defence and play on the counter is the sum total of it.

In pretty much every tournament they’ve played they fall against teams with comparable talent to theirs. The exception is probably Germany in the Euros but even still they had home advantage for that one. This year in the nations league they were destroyed as pretty much everyone knows what England are going to do, it’s just a question of having the ability to stop them.

Id give them a small chance against France but nothing more, and that’s largely down to Bellingham adding a bit of unpredictability to their attack. I still expect Mbappe to cause complete havoc against their back line, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

2018 is key though to this team though. They lost to teams rated higher than them, Belgium (5) (twice) and beat the teams rated lower than them in Tunisia (28), Panama (49) and Sweden (25). They drew with Colombia (13) and Croatia (18). England were ranked at 12.

England are now ranked 5, but France is ahead of them at 3. Waterloo, and all that!

england we’re almost no hopers in 2018 though, expectations were very low! I’m not disputing France are the favs here, mbappe could ruin that defence but France have conceded against everyone they have played and not one of those sides can compare to englands attack.

…. agincourt….!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah that's the Eamon Dunphy move when a team he doesn't like is getting good results: "Wait till they play a real team." And when you dig down you find there's only one or two 'real teams' in the whole thing...

What would be funny is if Brazilian players got booked for ‘excessive celebrations’ and then a second yellow later on. Could change a game. Plus with the refs adding on loads of extra time those celebrations could bite back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

They should be booked actually according to the rules because it is excessive. One of the ideas behind the taking jersey off booking (which is nonsense) is that its excessive and time wasting. So lets look at that.

1. You score a goal and while running you take your jersey off (by instinct, prob not even thinking about it) and when your team mates get to you, players usually start walking to the halfway line for tip off while putting their jersey back on..
    2. You score a goal, run to the corner flag, celebrate with your team mates, then do a completely separate celebration with your buddies that you had pre planned that doubles the celebration time and is effectively rubbing it into the team that just conceded. Oh and you do this every goal you score, maybe adding in your manager and substitutes. Go Brazil.......

Its not people being grumpy either, its people calling out excessive bullsh*t. It was the kind of celebrations you see when somebody gets a last minute winner. Those celebrations are natural and understandable, the kind of nonsense Brazil were getting up to after every goal was not fun, just looks like they wanted to rub it in when they scored.

Reminds me of the SouthPark creators movie "Baseketball" when they were mocking American sports for getting more and more ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I think France could suit England the way they play. Another poster said England were walloped in the Nations League. But wasn’t it only Hungary that walloped them. The rest were close? Still France should have too much for England if they are tuned in.

Only Hungary hammered them in one game but they really struggled for goals against those teams. Wasn’t until the last game against Germany that they scored from open play and that was total chaos at the end.

England are great at putting 4 or 5 past lower opposition when the breakthrough has been made and they can pick them off on the counter. But when a team can contain them, they run out of ideas very quickly.

I would agree with you to an extent but Brazil battered teams with pure swagger in 82.

I only went looking it up because Souness was eulogising about Brazil 82 best team he ever played against etc. Different level etc.

Now Souness is not a fella to give praise lightly at all. But basically said Scotland were lucky to keep the Brazil lads to 4 goals.

And that Scottish team was littered with quality but they were completely outplayed.

Good point on C. Ronaldo but he STILL gets the goals and STILL turns up in the big games.

I got to be honest football wise he impresses me. But it is with reluctance - as his big ego personality annoys me. And that Peirs Morgan interview was like a mockumentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Other than a chance that fell to Pulisic in the first ten minutes, the Dutch were totally unbothered by the USA. They schooled them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think the Brazil celebrations are annoying and OTT but if they can put their money where their mouth is and keep winning then they can be as arrogant as they want, however if they do get knocked out at some point I want to see whatever team beats them going 110% with every celebration.

People hate Neymar, he’s the most or close to the most entertainingly skillful player to watch in the world.

people were glad Belgium were knocked out, they have been the best team to watch over the last couple of tournaments as they were committed to attacking more than anyone else.

people now hate this Brazil team after putting on a glorious exhibition of flair football.

There are other examples

Deep down I don’t think people want to be entertained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nobody hates Neymar because of what he can do with a football.

People hate Neymar because of every single thing he does without possession of the ball, on and off the pitch.

its part of the story but a lot of people think Neymar is a useless show pony.

what do you mean by what he does off the pitch? Endorsing bolsanaro but what else because endorsing bolsanaro is recent while the hate is a decade old

I just can’t believe the level of discussion around it! I didn’t even really notice they’re celebrations that much apart from with Tite but I thought that was a bit of craic. I certainly don’t see how it’s disrespectful to the opposition, planned celebrations have been part of football for decades and haven’t been reserved for tournament winning goals either.

Think Tite has done a superb job building this Brazil team generally and you can see the camaraderie throughout the whole squad. As much as I dislike Neymar I really like this Brazil team compared to recent others because it really feels like it’s not just about him anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

In what world exactly have Belgium been one of the best teams to watch

At international tournaments, 2018 they came from 2-0 down to beat Japan 3-2. They knocked out Brazil in a superb performance of attacking football.

• Advertisement

schooled them? I mean that’s just clearly untrue, they were the better side and deserved to win but a quick look at the stats tells you America had more shots, shots on target, possession etc.

So, yes they won deservedly but a schooling is a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Stupid things like being "injured" at the same time every single year to celebrate his sister's birthday back in Brazil (which is also a bit weird IMO), his primadonna attitude and general behaviour outside of football...

Do you really need more? As for the "endorsing Bolsonaro but what else?" comment; there doesn't even need to be anything else, that's pretty bad form in its own right given the political climate of Brazil and the financial incentives he's given for it.

yes but his public support for bolsanaro is only couple of months old? And frankly the hate goes on a lot longer. I think his support for bolsanaro has very little to do with the hate he gets to be honest.

I think he missed two champions leagues campaigns in the second halves of seasons due to injury. If people believe it was an eloborate ruse every time to attend his sisters birthdays i think they have vivid imaginations. And what difference does it make to people if he does take his sisters birthday off anyway? Unless they support PSG or Barca I don’t see why a load of man utd, Celtic etc fans should give a damn.

i think Neymar gets hate because he’s a man child like an awful lot of other footballers but maybe because he’s so good there’s a good portion of jealousy thrown in.

the first hater of Neymar around our part of the world was Joey Barton and I think the reason he hates him is the reason most do; jealousy

I think bolsanaro or sisters birthdays are just convenient reasons haters tell themselves to avoid the true behind their hate

He is making a lot of stuff up to prove his narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There’s just a continuous string of things with Neymar… the sister thing, the Bolsonaro thing (which is a big deal), the continuous string of sexual assault allegations including the one on a Nike employee that saw them dump his contract, the giant covid parties, the self importance, the rubbish like his weird funeral procession in 2014 (this was I think the first inklings of many people’s raised eyebrows), and then of course the extent of the diving and theatrical rolling around. Like, lots of players do those things, but he took it to such an obnoxious extreme that gets hard to overlook - a few ‘big stage’ examples in the 2018 WC especially. And even just the greed inherent in his style (like yesterday, ignoring a simple through ball to set Vinicius clean through in favour of taking on everyone and just running into trouble and out of play)… imo ’youre all just jealous’ is a fairly lazy catch-all retort to wave away a fairly impressive list of dislikable traits on and off the pitch that, for many, will outweigh the impressive things he does while upright on a pitch.

For me at least though, it’s the more off-pitch stuff of the last 4 years that turned it from ‘I find him a bit frustrating to watch’, to ‘ok, this doesn’t seem like a very good person’.

Fair answer, he broke his back in 2014 and the surgeon said he was a small measure of never walking again. So thats the context of the “funeral”. I don’t think he asked for that funeral, it’s just Brazil follows football as a religion and this was a home World Cup and he was in a strikeforce with Fred, Bernard and…maybe Willian….which is deeply average without him so the country as a whole lost it.

i wouldn’t say greed is his style, his assist stats are huge. I’d call that out as nonsense. He should have played Vinicius in yesterday but it’s not normal for him to not play that pass.

A continuous string of sexual assault allegations? There is a troubling one with Nike. There is one where he was accused of rape, had hidden camera footage of the interaction and it was the opposite of rape. Why he had a hidden camera at all is questionable but it proved a wise decision. Not aware of anything else?

people have been strongly criticizing him a lot since very early, before these things came out so that is why it’s smells like jealousy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

According to Souness, Zico of Brazil was the best player he ever competed against.

" I could never get near him", he said.

Lucky Zico !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Morocco could win this.

Comfortable Spanish win I reckon

Its the preplanned nature of these celebrations that bores the ars off me. Give me SuperPippo or Marco Tardelli just screaming with pure joy any day over this tedious crap.

Best celebration so far was the Ghana lad doing Ronaldo's stupid publicity stunt 🤣

• Advertisement
Advertisement