Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Dark Materials.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember when I started watching this and seeing the daemons, thinking back to the earlier BBC productions like The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Effects have improved slightly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold on.. that was the last episode of the season?! Nooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Slydice wrote: »
    Hold on.. that was the last episode of the season?! Nooooo!

It wasn't supposed to be. That last scene with Asriel was meant to be an entire episode revolved around him but it had to be canned because they couldn't film because of lock down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,292 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (The Fix), Jamie Ward (Tyrant), Kobna Holdbrook-Smith (Motherland), Simon Harrison (Endeavour) and Amber Fitzgerald-Woolfe have joined the cast

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2021/06/adewale-akinnuoye-agbaje-jamie-ward-more-join-bbc-ones-his-dark-materials-for-season-3/

So is the consensus that this is worth watching?

Read the books years ago. Remember enjoying them, but can't really remember what they were about.
    Something about spirit animals and wheely things.

• Advertisement

Read the books years ago. Remember enjoying them, but can't really remember what they were about.
    It's an improvement on the failed movie series.

flazio wrote: »
    It's an improvement on the failed movie series.

That wasn't great TBF

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

That wasn't great TBF

It's quite good! We haven't met the wheely creatures yet though, that'll be season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I think you should read the books again. They are fantastic and I am not convinced any TV show / film can do them justice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've enjoyed the TV series, speaking as someone who hadn't read the books. But, the enjoyment is in spite of the execution: I get the source is a YA series of novels but the show leans really hard into exposition and weirdly declarative dialogue. Everyone spoke their mind and intention all the time, while things "just happen" without any feeling of natural progression or agency. The world is fascinating, Mrs. Coulter a properly intriguing "villain", but the dialogue killed the vibe every time IMO.

• Advertisement

Some casting news

Actually had forgotten about this. I'm assuming it'll be next year before we see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Interesting. As much as I loved the characters, I thought they would have to go. Simply to streamline the show. That's great news..

Mind you....

Even though they are a major part of the story, I can see them dropping the Mulefa: Just too difficult to do in a visual environment. While readers would love to see them in place, non-readers would go "WTF is with the mini-mammoths on wheels?" They could shift Mary's story to Angels or something. I mean I may be wrong but I think they would just be a step too far for TV audience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That has been my meme for every show getting a news bump. Oh, forgot this existed; the reason usually being the obvious grenade thrown into our lives.

This does remain a show I both enjoyed but got frustrated by with equal measure.

I am enjoying the show and am REALLY enjoying the deviations from the books (Mrs Coulter and Mary, Mrs Coulter and Lee etc), yeah, I do enjoy it but.....it can be a little bit underwhelming. Maybe it's because I am too familiar with the books. I mean there is nothing in it I dislike or would even change but, yeah, maybe I am too familiar (Which is probably why my favourite bits are, like I said, the deviations)

Something of note, series 1 is currently airing on RTÉ One on Sunday evenings. 4 episodes in. They are all on RTÉ Player at the moment but episode 1 only has 7 days left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I must say I really enjoyed both seasons of this. Really well done, great production, quality cgi and top notch actors.

Really looking forward to season 3.

Was just thinking of this this morning for some reason so decided to google it.

Turns out it's back sometime in December, so about 2 years after season 2 finished. Gonna need a recap/rewatch

And Stelmaria (Asriel's snow leopard Daemon, whose name I didn't recognise) will now be voiced by Victoria Hamilton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looking forward to the return of the show. It was really a quality show imho.

Cinema standard sfx in a TV show.

Wow, that's a great design of an angel. About how I imagined them. Whether it's just because this article was focusing particularly on angel or what, I see no mention of.....

The Mulefa. I suspect they may be cut. They are too alien to be portrayed on 2 or 3 episodes of TV. As much as I love the characters. I suspect we will have Mary encountering an Angel (Maybe Xaphania) who teaches her how to make the Spyglass.

I know they have cast the Galivespians, which is cool.

That photo of McEvoy looks like he's in an Intention Craft. As for Stelmaria, I don't know the actress but, in fairness, Stelmaria didn't have much dialogue. Really it was only Pan and Hester with any amount of dialogue. Jopari's Sayan Kotor had some (Just one I think) and Serafaina's Kaisa but that was about it........

apart from Kirjava

Waiting for a trailer...

I was going to snark about "oh yeah, this show, forgot about that", but then scrolling up realise I made the exact same joke this time l last year!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was going to start with "This is your annual reminder than this show still exists"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

That looked great. I actually didn't recognise Daphne Keen initially. Was wondering who was with Will.

So December 5th.

Just skipped to the end to see rather than watching the trailer.

But curious for those who've read the books(I haven't), are ye happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ngunners

These were my favourite books as a twelve year old. I read and reread them. I think the show is excellent and I hope it encourages a new generation to read the novels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Be VERY careful with the trailers. There is a massive spoiler in the trailer and I will say no more about that.

Those two trailers really REALLY are spoilery so don't.

As for the adaptation. I do enjoy the series but am a just a smidge underwhelmed. But that is 100% down to me. As I mentioned in another thread, everyone has something they are "precious" about and this (And The Iron Giant) is my thing. I read the books as they came out even though I am not the core demographic (I am 50). But I just enjoy Philip Pullman's writing so much. I have read them all many times and the writing is simply beautiful. Not overly floral or grandiose. No grand Tolkienesque dialogue. Just simple, efficient prose. From early in book one.

One man was swiftly lashing cords around her, around her limbs, her throat, body and head, bundling her over and over on the wet ground. She was helpless, exactly like a fly being trussed by a spider. Poor hurt Pan was dragging himself towards her, with the fox-daemon worrying his back, and he had no strength left to change, even; and the other man was laying in a puddle, with an arrow through his neck...

That section, when read the first time was a great example of placing. You are reading it, and the previous paragraphs with a rising seems of panic. What's happening, she's caught, who are.... Wait, what was that? The way it cut to the man with an arrow in his neck in a heartbeat.

There was nothing to be edited out. Each word chosen carefully. I also read Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and they got more and more and more boated. Pages about tables of food and storylines that went nowhere. Hundreds of pages from each book could have been cut without impacting story.

So..... VERY long story short (Martin isn't the only one in need of a good editor. Hah). The series is very good. Any adaptation is difficult and the last season will be no different but they have done a great job so far

Saw new trailer out, went to post it here then realized that it actually aired last night in the US so won't post it here. Looks like it doesn't air on the BBC until next week as my tv show tracker was showing next week as air date

I still want to do a rewatch. So might start the rewatch this week and let the weekly episodes build up. Then watch all together when finished. Seems they're airing 2 a week in the States. Don't know if they'll do the same here.

I guess with US and BBC airings so close together, spoiler tags should be used in here until it airs here, if watching the earlier release?

• Advertisement

All 8 episodes will be released on the BBC as a box set on December 18th

In the US, the first two episodes will premiere on HBO Max on December 5 at 9pm ET/PT. Two new episodes will debut each following week, with the finale set to arrive on December 26.

In the UK, the entire season will be available on BBC iPlayer from Sunday December 18. Episodes will also stream weekly from that date on BBC One each Sunday, with a start time yet to be announced.

Advertisement