Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ursula Von Der Leyen - addressing the Oireachtas yesterday. Opinions on her speech?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You can but it'd be wrong. Israel gets vast sums of money from the Americans, more than Ireland would ever have gotten.

To say that the EEC wasn't responsible for Ireland's economic transformation without any evidence is simply wrong.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that the improvement in the Irish economy could've happened regardless of membership. Many of the policies that reformed the economy could have been instituted domestically.

Compare Ireland with Sweden, who joined the EC in 1995. Even after their economic crisis in 92, Sweden maintained a significant edge in terms of GDP per capita.

There is nothing to suggest really that Ireland's economy could not have performed well (perhaps equally so) outside of the EC - this may have been especially the case had the UK remained out.

You are correct in that the EU is not an external power. The real issue is with the Irish approach to policy at the European level which can be summed up as "we must protect our taxation policy at all costs". So when it comes to other policy areas, Ireland seems to jump headlong first in favour, in order to distract from taxation policy and earn credits and side deals to keep its taxation policy off the agenda. This is different from other small countries, who seem to be able to defend a broader area of interests.

In the end time came for corporation tax anyway, so one wonders if the years of concessions in every other policy area was worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think it would have happened without EU membership. We'd be an economic basket case because that's what we were before.

Suggesting that EU membership made no difference is a bit ridiculous in fairness.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I have given you examples of countries that performed well outside of the EC/EU. To say that good economic performance could not have happened outside is simply not correct. Of course it could have, and we can see countries where it did.

I firmly believe that the impact of EU membership on Irish economic performance is overstated.

The rate of growth in GDP per capita in the 10 years prior to joining the EC was marginally higher (2.8x growth) versus the 10 years after joining (2.4x growth)

• Advertisement

And I pointed out why they were unsuitable.

If you have proof that Ireland would have done as well outside the EEC/EU, please present it. Otherwise, there's no point in continuing this.

Where is your proof that Ireland has excelled only as a result of membership? There is no evidence either way.

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

It's your argument. The onus is on you to provide proof. Since you have none, let's just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The benefits of being part of the Single Market is estimated to be worth over €30 billion to Ireland. 40% of our exports go to other counties within that Single Market. Membership also gives us access to the EU trade deals with global markets like Canada, Japan, South Korea and Singapore. Are you seriously suggesting that a small open economy would of fared better on it's own? Then there is the €40 billion in EU funds that we have received since 1973.

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It was so good of mammy van der Leyden to come here and give her good boys pats on their heads. I can see Michéal 'tweedledum' Martin's tail wagging and tongue out. This country's economy is now essentially based on foreign corporate tax and property investment scams and arbritage, and this land is still weighed down relatively forever with unnecessary debt (the famed subordinated bond holders et al with the Quinn doc a salutary reminder), the housing and rental market permanently overheated thanks to taxation and migration policy, so having the homage ceremony here was good of here, now that Leo 'tweedledee' Varadkar is to very shortly to be top dog. Apologies to dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hate to puncture the optimism re Ireland, be somewhat unpatriotic and burst the nice bubble you have going but the rich non EU/somewhat (more) detached from the EU countries in Western Europe, and a technological/scientific powerhouse and doted on client/ally of the world's greatest power (i.e. Israel) are IMO not great comparitors to Ireland.

You could just as easily make a comparison between Ireland and some of the small peripheral states in east/south of Europe that haven't managed to make it into the EU + ended up far more detatched for historical or geographical reasons, but that doesn't look quite as good for the argument. They are all pretty poor and have problems with corruption holding them back (including that clientelist/3rd-worldish "the local big man/chieftain will provide for us" kind of disease that has died off a bit in Ireland, but still has a lingering popularity with alot of the voting public). They have improved much more slowly over the decades (post fall of Soviet Union, shattering of Yugoslavia) compared to peers who did make it into the EU (e.g. progress of Romania [probably not great example, as its not a very "small" country] and Moldova, or Croatia and some of the Balkan countries still outside?).

I can accept argument that maybe Ireland could also have done quite well while having a more detached relationship with the EU, but I think we needed to be fully in EU Single Market etc. for the development "model" that we used, which worked fairly well to increase wealth/development here over decades of EU membership to function. Then question comes in as to whether it is better to be on inside, be fully involved and have some say even if it is less than the bigger countries, vs being semi-detached? As said I think none of the semi-detached western European rich countries are really like Ireland or can be compared to Ireland can they? I think we've benefitted by getting fully involved.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Ya and (IMO) if she'd have gotten up + delivered a few salty, well aimed points about the problems we know we face here to the Oireachtas instead of a fairly complimentary speech emphasising the positive, well the donkeys on here probably would have told to her to go away now, keep out of what is not her bailiwick, and drink a big cup of stfu!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh wow, how wrong can you be.

That means putting the UK in control of all of our trade. That worked out well in the past...

When they change the rules on UK-EU trade then Ireland has to fall in line with no say.

No thanks.

In the EU we have a say the same as every other member.

If we have to choose between closer links to the UK and the EU (and it's the UK which has stupidly forced this situation) then it's the EU every time, hands down.

The UK starved us, the EU enriched us.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

If they destroy the tradition of raping altar boys then I'm all in favour.

Nonsense.

The choke-hold on our economy which was the link to Sterling until 1979 made us poorer.

The Euro brought us the Germanic concepts of fiscal stability and low interest rates which are beneficial. It's not the EU/Eurozone/Germans fault that this was taken advantage of in the early to mid 00s era to excuse utterly irresponsible lending. All, and I mean ALL, of the adverse effects of the "Celtic Tiger" were homegrown and could have been countered by homegrown policy.

Er, what’s nonsense? I never mentioned the Punt/Sterling relationship pre ‘79. What’s it got to do with the ability to set one’s own interest rates?

If you want us to go back to having our own currency then you need to look at when we did have our own currency and explain how we were better off as a result.

But we didn't even have our own currency for nearly 60 years after independence - we were shackled to Sterling so the UK's economic problems became our economic problems too. We had no input into interest rates etc.

We only had a free-floating currency for 18 years, 1979-1997 but even then the UK's economy still had a big influence on ours and most of our trade was with the UK.

Sure we could set our own interest rates if we were not in the euro, but those rates would be higher (to account for the greater risk of investing here if we devalue etc.) so how exactly would that benefit us?

So, how many hundred thousand have they massacred?

What a moronic thing to say.

People come out with this "the EU is anti-democratic" guff but they never provide any details of exactly how it is supposedly undemocratic. Because if they try to make an argument it can be easily dismantled. So they never try and stick to the silly slogans.

• Advertisement

Can Ursula von der Leyen, the most powerful person in the EU at present, be removed via public vote?

Straightforward yes or no question.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How many politicians in Westminster can be removed from office by a public vote? It's a stupid question and you know it! The EC president can be removed through a vote but not by the public. Same as Westminster! Same as the Dáil and many other parliamentary bodies.

Those MPs were democratically elected by public vote.

Who publicly voted for Ursula von der Leyen?

Or was she appointed?

You tell me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why is it that people who are most vocal about opposing a federal EU then complain about the aspects of it that are not federal?

Its a supranational body and she and the commission are voted on by the members. Having her directly elected would make the EU even more of a federal political entity.

When it comes from the from the far/"alt" right, it is bad faith. It's an "any port in a storm will do" attack, which may work with people not paying attention (as you say putting the choice of roles like the Commission president or Foreign representative much nearer to the people, would actually increase integration of the EU and move it closer towards becoming a sort of federal state).

Apart from fact it is a lie, such people don't care about (direct) democracy at all. They are fine with autocrats and "managed" democracy, provided their kind of guy can get to be the big man at the controls giving the right people a real good hammering.

It's very much the opposite of that.

Let's take a hypothetical thought experiment where Nigel Farage was appointed as EU Commission President. Appointed, and could not be removed. The same people defending the current system would be up in arms to say how the system was undemocratic and he should not have power over half a billion people.

The EU Commission (all of whom are appointed) is the only part of the EU that can propose legislation (the EU parliament, the elected body, cannot initiate laws, and its recommendations on laws proposed by the Commission are only advisory). This makes it no different from the Communist politburo.

It is a "lie", because as you know the EU is not a state, the EU Commission president is important but is not at present the equivalent of the PM of a nation state.

The EU member states (and their governments) will not give up their perogative to control selection of the role and hand it over to direct democracy. If they do it is a big step down the road of the EU becoming a federal entity, it weakens the power of small member states in particular (esp. if its a highly simplistic + probably unworkable 1 EU citizen, 1 vote formula rather than some other mechanism.

I don't defend the current system anyway (the way the leaders of the member states can cook up between them who gets the job in a back room decision is awful) so you can shove that in your pipe and smoke it. However, the fact that it works that way would make your hypothetical impossible (or very very improbable unless stars align and far right governments come into power in majority of EU member states, in which case, electorates would probably be happy with Farage or ilk).

So what if the Commission proposes legislation in current system? BTW you told another lie (or made a mistake) in an earlier post where you claimed the European Parliament cannot reject or modify what is proposed by the Commission and must pass it. Comparing the EU to the USSR (or Nazi Germany perhaps) is a very tired UK Eurosceptic Brexiter trope now and I think even the Tories have shut up with that one.

Read the link to the EU website itself from my earlier post. The recommendations from the EU parliament are not legally binding; they are advisory.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I take it by your change in questioning that you know your previous line of attack on her role in the EC was going nowhere.

Now you've moved the goalposts to how she got to the role. Who voted for King Charles if you want to go down that laneway?

Anyway, I couldn't be bothered with your farage-politics tonight and would rather watch the football.

• Advertisement

No I don't recall any links from you. Must have missed it, so maybe you could repost? Was referring to https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119961463/#Comment_119961463

In fact, it's only when a politician loses an election that they become prime meat to be appointed to the EU Commission; the only body that proposes legislation that the EU parliament (the elected chamber) cannot veto.

So may as well go away + have a look at a few links myself given I'm not an expert...

I think I kind of see what you were getting at (it mentions its possible parliament only has consultative role in some cases):

In the adoption of legislative acts, a distinction is made between the ordinary legislative procedure (codecision), which puts Parliament on an equal footing with the Council, and the special legislative procedures, which apply only in specific cases where Parliament has only a consultative role.

On certain questions (e.g. taxation) the European Parliament gives only an advisory opinion (the ‘consultation procedure’). In some cases the Treaty provides that consultation is obligatory, being required by the legal base, and the proposal cannot acquire the force of law unless Parliament has delivered an opinion. In this case the Council is not empowered to take a decision alone.

But the EU parliament is in there and involved, even at the beginning, and then throughout the whole process, even though it is Commssion proposing the legislation...

The way the EU works, would seem very, very, very unlikely you'd have Commission initiating legislation that the parliament is extremely hostile to and despises from start, and somehow it getting (edit: syntax) it rammed through into law (with Council) against the parliament opposition. Could you give me example of that happening maybe?

Anyway further down the page (1st link), also seems to be some specific things the Parliament can have a full veto on as well (the "Consent" procedure section).

I'll repeat the points from earlier, I don't think you really care that the EU parliament is weaker + has less power than a national parliament, or that EU Commission President is appointed rather than directly elected or chosen by parliament or such in a process closer to direct democracy. It's just a point of attack. As other poster pointed out, changing both things would move the EU to a structure much more like a federal state.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Advertisement