Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Who Said Ideals ? I said the Idea. People are really painting into a corner trying to suggest ancient cultures were any way comparable to modern ones But Right and left can be applied retrospectively. What next slaves built the pyramids 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So you agree that Left wing ideals have been around since very early civilizations. Good, that's one thing settled.

Can you explain what exactly the Modern Left is that emerged in the 60's and why that is such an aberration.

1789 Started Left/Right as an idea in France. New left 1960s Is a modern aberration. And not something that has been around very long. Default human nature seems to be Right wing Throughout entire human history.

Abortion was an example I know full well all about it. Just using the logic that Since Ireland has only recently past it they must have been right wing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But right wing means that women have no rights according to you. You keep contradicting yourself over and over again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Sure if we completely ignore all the other terrible stuff like slavery and all that.

• Advertisement

If were going to sit here with a straight face and try and argue the Ancient world was Great because they had a few left wing Ideals. I don't know where to start. They did enjoy the old slavery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And you're onto gaslighting. Let's just leave it there.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

No actually. Was slavery a huge part of the ancient world ? that is a fact. Nothing gaslighting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,943 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If were going to sit here with a straight face and try and argue the Ancient world was Great

That's a big If that nobody is going on about here.

Slavery survived through antiquity up through jim crow and still resides in the 13th amendment in the US.

They did enjoy the old slavery.

But you want us to believe the world was inherently right wing, no?

• Advertisement

It was unless were going to argue China is back being left wing for example. When people go to pains to paint it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Reminds me a lot of this article I read a few days ago

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/5050/anti-trans-transphobia-gender-critical-mirror-propaganda/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Who argues otherwise Glade we got rid of it in Europe. But it does not feed into a gotcha. As those on the Right would also been the ones enforcing the bans. Like the Royal navy. Unfortunately it's still going on in Africa, ME, China that's left and right wing depending on the argument for some reason.

The world, and the societies within it, continually and progressively moved to make it a better place for as many people as possible. Slaves and fighters usd to kill each other for the entertainment of the wealthy, that was recognized as being barbaric and unfair and so the practice faded out. People used to be killed as a form of sacrafice, again that practiced was stopped as the communities recognized it for what it was. People were owned by other people and used to complete manual labor, that practice was faded out. People were punished for practicing their preferred religion, that practice was faded out. People were prevented from voting because of their gender, race, wealth, social standing, that practice was faded out. People were forced to work excessive hours every day, that practice was faded out. People were punished for having sex with people of the same gender as them, that practice has been largely faded out, but still continues in part of the world. People were prevented from sharing public spaces with others because of their race, that practice was faded out. People were prevented from gaining education or employment in particular areas because of their gender, that practice was faded out. People were prevented from running the marathon or drinking in certain areas of bars or playing on certain golf courses, because of their gender, that practice was faded out. People were prevented from forming unions to advocate for better work place conditions, that practice is in the process of being faded out.

This wasn't a linear progression, there were steps forward, and then some backwards, some societies moved forward faster than others, etc. Some practices that were common in the past but no longer are permitted in some areas now, still exist in some parts of the world as change is yet to get to that area. But the motivation to fade out every single one of these practices, in the past and in to the future, is what would be described by the modern day Right as being 'Left Wing', 'Progressive' and 'Woke'.

It is demonstrably false to suggest that Left Wing Ideals are something that have only appeared since the late 20th century, or early 21st century as you and some people are intent in claiming.

The history of drag, in case 'conservatives' need a refresher

Abraham Lincoln was a Republican president who abolished slavery.

You're talking nonsense.

Southern Strategy. Lincoln's Republican party was left wing.

I agree but we cannot distil it down to left and right. As if that was the case no country would be left or right. So there would be no right to fear. That would be a classic false dichotomy. So we either accept no country is true right or True left and is a mixture there cannot be an argument for Right dangers. As you pointed out things get fixed over time Regardless of Left or Right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So what? Do you think the Democrats in the 19th century South were... left wing (were those even terms then?) They were right-wing, no matter what letter came after the names of their elected officials. How do I know this? Because they died to keep slavery legal. Party didn't matter, country didn't matter - all that mattered, was keeping slaves.

In today's South, there's a preponderance of elected Republican officials despite being in the voting minority. This was a side-effect of Nixon's policy around the "Solid South" where the GOP used civil rights advances as a way to garner votes. It worked pretty well for them, that and gerrymandering and voter suppression.

No one's talking nonsense, at least, until you back up your statement about Lincoln.

there cannot be an argument for Right dangers.

Right wing people have no issue with using labels to talk about their opponents, so this is just the other side of that coin.

Undermining electoral processes, advocating for Brexit, invading Ukraine, resisting meaningful climate action, restricting access to abortion, removing particular books and topics from schools are all dangerous practices to society.

I'm going to continue identifying these as Right wing dangers as long as the people advocating for them talk about Left wing ones.

All the things you listed are far right. And some left.

Brexit was not only right traditional lab voted too. More a Far right idea not manifested at the ballot box.

Invading Ukraine again far right. Most people I know are horrified. Some on the left want them to surrender cos peace.

Resisting meaningful climate action. You mean asking how much it's going to cost and what impact Ireland would have on global emissions. Far right again

Resisting access to abortion. That is far right I support as woman's right outside of it used as contraception. Most normal people do outside the far right.

last one is hilarious. Removing books you say. That would be far right and left wing. I assume teaching creationism in school is ok then ?

Brexit was initiated and pushed over the line by right wing players. Full stop.

last one is hilarious. Removing books you say. That would be far right and left wing. I assume teaching creationism in school is ok then ?

Is this teaching of creationism based on evidence? If so, by all means teach it. If not, keep it to religious education and out of the schools.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It really has been hilarious watching a poster tie himself up in knots in the last couple of pages.

And then they peddle the ‘abortion used as contraception’ myth.

I agree on creationism like all Ideas not based on science. Like systemic racism Hello Obama, Oprah, Megan to name a few. LGBT stuff not based on any actual science. The whole white guilt trip. Any political stuff should be banned outside explaining what politics is. Same with Religion. Tons of stuff I could mention from left and right more far right though mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Boris Johnson wouldnt agree with you labeling him a right winger. Neither would the millions who voted yes, the majority of whom are split down the middle.

Mumford musician was cancelled by the left because he read a book.

What myth what do you call aborting a perfectly viable fetus. Only tying in knots those trying to suggest Left wing societies are not pretty new.

• Advertisement

False.

Abortion isn't a "right wing" issue.

Among Democratic voters, support for unrestricted abortion has jumped from 56% in 2016 to 71% last year, according to the General Social Survey, while Republican support continues to hover around 34%.

Many on the left argue in favour of late term abortions, which even some on the left find abhorrent.

So the actual situation on the ground is not as simplistic as you're making out.

Advertisement