Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

killing everything you deem a bull breed won't mean awful dog owners will go away

Exactly, the only one who would be punished by that, would be animals and good owners..

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭4shameee

This thread has prompted a discussion on it. What's your issue with that? Not sure how it's "hysterical". When have I ever said that would mean awful dog owners will go away?

Well it is amazing how many posters called for that ' solution '.

It's part of a possible solution along with more importantly in my opinion, harsher laws on owners.But if you look at those statistics and think it's solely the owners fault then more fool you. People on here genuinely thinking these deaths/accidents would be the exact same figures without pitbulls is laughably dim.

• Advertisement

People on here genuinely thinking these deaths/accidents would be the exact same figures without pitbulls is laughably dim.

Laughably dim would be thinking there would be no other breed in the same situation now (if multiple bull breeds were gone), with the same stats..

We won't agree. You think Pitbull related deaths are always solely down to the owner , I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

When did I say I had an issue with it? The reactionary calls to kill bull breeds are what I have an issue with, as I've explained, as has been explained by others here. It solves nothing, it will happen again, with a different breed, same owners.

Informed discussion on it, no problem but some of the things said here are laughable. By you or whomever, you all look the same to me. In fact i think you should all be put down because of something some of you said.

What I think is, majority of accidents are down to the owners. I don't know how you can presume what I'm thinking..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You forget of course that this is Ireland, the home of shur twill be grand, where we don't enforce things so much.

Can't see courses for owners happening, even if some here are hardly fit to look after a cream bun, let alone a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Thats the main problem here. Even if the dogs were banned, there would be no enforcement of it. Just like there is very little enforcement of the lead and muzzle rules for restricted breeds currently.

Banning certain breeds is a complete knee jerk reaction and will solve very little

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The Dog wardens in Wexford nav lot to answer for as well.

Mod - Do not embed images like the below link directly into the thread, post a link and mark it NSFW. Anyone else who does this can expect a threadban at a minimum

NSFW image, graphic injuries

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/L8QDDC60BXE9/image.png

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Then we ban those breeds too.

And maybe we send out a messsage that there is such a thing as a dangerous breed and we can stop with this bollocks that there is no such thing, and that it's just a couple of bad apples or whatever .

Look at the photo above. You and everyone else who has one of these dogs helped make it a reality.

What are you talking about? What dog do I have? And just to say, I have dogs whole my life and none of them ever attacked or bite anyone. So excuse me, but you talking absolute shīte!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

People who believe "there is no such thing as as dangerous dog, just a bad owner" are delusional.

The statistics literally bear it out in black and white, certain breeds regardless of owner are involved in far more fatal attacks than other breeds. Even the best owners who give their pits all the stimulation/exercise/feeding in the world still have their dogs involved in attacks. The breed is unstable, bred to fight and be aggressive. Those are traits those dogs are born with, you cannot discipline it out fully.

It really is like arguing with the gun nuts in America after another mass shooting - 'guns dont kill people, people do'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

What dog do I have? 

OK so, you tell us what dogs you have.

You're posting relentlessly about how harmless pit bulls are and anyone suggesting that they're dangerous is a moron, so maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I don’t know why you are still trying to argue here. You can’t change peoples opinions once the emotive hysteria has clouded their judgement. Next month it will be forgotten again.

There's no point , you are arguing with emotional people. The most famous dog trainer in the world's Pitbull destroyed a gymnasts career. But most on here I'm sure will blame the girl.

I'd say the emotional people are the ones saying ban/kill all bull breeds. Or saying that any person who owns a bull breed is responsible for a child in Wexford. Or inferring that dog owners would victim blame. That's hysterical.

What else would you all have the government ban before you advocate for personal responsibility over a nanny state?

• Advertisement

I don't think you are paying attention to what I've posted at all. Think the best is to ignore. You can keep your twisted logic, that I, or someone else here, somehow helped to get that boy hurt, to yourself. Bye

I can't agree with your hyperbole. Doberman, German Shepherd, Bulldog, Rottweiler, Staffie, Akita were all bred to fight. By your logic none of them should ever be trusted and are essentially uncontrollable too. I know that not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Any dog can attack, that is very true and I've said the same.

Why do Police and Military use German Shepherds? Because they are intelligent, easy to train, loyal, alert and will stand their ground. Herding, guardianship, endurance and versatility are also prized in their traits. They are a working dog.

Why are Doberman pinscher used to guard property? Because they are alert, protective and bark a lot. Working Dog.

Rothtweilers are pretty much the same with more bulk and more known for guarding. Working Dog.

Why are Bullmastiffs not used for guarding as that's what they were used for? They are not as well disciplined and will attack a stranger.

Why are Akita's not used as guards dogs? Because they can get very aggressive to strangers and any other creature that may cross it's path. They were bred to be alone of with one other. They are know to attack other dogs if not properly trained and socialized and because of their size they are hard to control.

All breeds have their own traits, some more aggressive than others but when a breed was bred for guarding they are inherently more likely to attack or bite. It's why they require muzzles in public. The Pitbull was bred for fighting other dogs, often enough these dogs could only be handled by their trainers because of their nature. They copped on and started to breed only those that were not aggressive to humans and this was back in the 1800's. Unfortunately with dog fighting on the rise again that aggressive nature was wanted and bred back into them. The problem is no one knows when they get a pitbull or any bully type dog what is in it's breeding unless it's a pedigree and even then with inbreeding it's an issue. There is a reason why pounds in some jurisdictions wont rehome them and just put them down, it's because they don't know what in their breeding or how they were reared.

Why would someone want a dog that was originally bred for dog fighting and especially one that has an unknown lineage?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Meirleach

When I started my career, the most common dog-bite injuries were from German shepherds and occasionally retrievers. These injuries were almost always provoked, such as food-related or stepping on the dog, and in almost every instance, the dog reacted with a single snap and release – essentially a warning shot. There were no pack attacks.

Starting about 25 years ago, my colleagues and I started to see disturbingly different types of injuries. Instead of a warning bite, we saw wounds where the flesh was torn from the victim. There were multiple bite wounds covering many different anatomical sites. The attacks were generally unprovoked, persistent and often involved more than one dog. In every instance the dog involved was a pit bull or a pit bull mix.

Interesting read from a plastic surgeon at a children's hospital.

But I'm sure someone will come along to tell me about other dog breeds like German Shepherds(4.2% of fatalities)

Can anyone here really justify a dog breed responsible for 66% of all fatalities? No other breed comes close.

Either ban them or breeders need to work to reduce the aggression in the breed, but they won't as the danger and symbolism in owning them are too profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Many of these incidents are not accidents. They are foreseeable recklessness and negligence on the part of irresponsible owners.

You can't call anybody emotional tbh -"in fact i think you should all be put down because of something some of you said" I won't be conversing with that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pit bulls and other dangerous breeds should be banned and eradicated, end of.

It will drive their breeding underground but that's the case anyway with the puppy farms so greater enforcement is badly needed.

Also the owners of such vicious breeds involved in killings/maulings of children and other people should face a mandatory and lengthy custodial prison sentence plus a huge fine. No ifs or buts. That's all the scum owners of such breeds understand - these are people involved in criminality in most cases and some are involved in the vile and illegal blood sports of dogfighting and badger baiting.

I love dogs and have had dogs in the past - but it is far too easy to own one or more and that needs radical change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Yes the Pitbull was bred for fighting and the very same trait that made them relentless fighters can make them relentless search & rescue dogs or drug/bomb detention dogs, that single mindedness & desire to please their handler can be honed to do so much good if they were given a chance and in the right hands.

I've seen Pits do agility and they've been amazing they just need a major PR image overhaul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

lol PR Image overhaul. Yeah get them all into Brunswick and Edelman over in London who'll eradicate their inbred nature with some media compliance classes

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement