Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

That's me done with Scabby valley, 15 minutes trying to exit through the barrier yesterday. One barrier on exit means if one person gets stuck, everyone suffers. The cinema was colder than the arctic, and the whole family was huddling up together under the coats to try to stay warm.. Very disappointing experience overall.

#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Like a previous poster I used go almost weekly and haven’t been now since charges introduced. Hines prepared to sink the place as far as I can see.Maybe they plan to turn it into apartments .Anyone saying they wouldn’t get planning permission mustn’t be great at irony and/or recent Irish history .M&S having closed shops recently elsewhere must be under threat .Anyway I’m voting with my € elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Look they need to get pragmatic about it really. Fair enough they won't back down but they could do the Maths and decide to lower the fee or something like that. It's not that I'm totally against it but it just needs to be done correctly. Possibly offer free off peak parking or nominal parking fee for cinema users.

Just get creative. Offer solutions and don't be trying to absolutely fleece people to the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Someone mentioned roads into the place are jammed that's because of the stupid barrier camera system, even if you know the system and stop on the optimal spot it usually takes about 20 seconds for your number to appear on the screen and another 10 seconds for it to lift now double that or more for drivers who don't know the system or have dirty number plate and you'll have huge delays.

Also not helped by those dreadfully slow traffic lights. The roundabout that these replaced worked fine. Was SDCC road planners consulted and approved this change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Those main traffic lights are a disaster. Never mind the paying for parking, for those traffic lights alone, I'm now avoiding the place. Took a good 3-4 minutes last night to get through them. What a waste of time, there was no waiting time for the roundabout that used to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Yep. The new junction is an absolute disaster both approaching from all 3 directions. Whoever designed it must have got their engineering degree in a playschool. Add this to the opportunist gatherining of 2.50 per trip and i just don't bother with Liffey Valley anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Was in marks and Spencer this evening....it was pretty dead...usually busy at around 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pay parking at The Marshes, Dundalk, so I stopped going there. Give those SC's that charge a wide berth and they might change their greedy ways.

Interesting I was in the cinema on sat and kept jackets on, and face and hands were freezing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭This is it

Yeah, the new lights aren't great. We've definitely gone over less since the charges. Often we'd head over for a coffee and look around, wouldn't bother now unless I needed something specific and quick. Blanch is only a few minutes away and has most of what Liffey Valley has, and more.

• Advertisement

Blanch will follow suits you may bet. Only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭fliball123

I dont think so. Retail outlets need to understand that charging for parking is going to bring their footfall right down with a lot just going on line instead add in that it can be seen the city center foot fall due to parking has always been less busy then the stores like blanch, the square and liffey valley and only had real foot fall due to people working in there and its way down now due to a lot of people working from home. I can see both the square and blanch getting a nice bump in foot fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

from what I’m reading there are about 3400 car parking spaces at Liffey Valley.

if an average of 6000 cars use the car parking daily for an average of two hours. 2.50 the average charge for that time.

around 15000 grand in car parking revenue a day.

A guesstimate of 5.475 million in parking revenue annually.

the overheads for parking will be fûck all…. So it’s a very lucrative revenue stream…

Hmmm if thats the case then why would LV do it. Id be shocked if blanch didnt do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭fliball123

Not sure I know they spent over 30Million redeveloping the car park which is a lot of wonga for what should of been non profitable piece of infrastructure, maybe they thought that it was a reasonable business model a couple of years back and had the opportunity with covid shutdowns to do it, fast forward to now and with cost of living, cost of petrol , cost of electricity, cost of everything and its just completely the wrong time to try and take more out of peoples pockets (as can be seen with the uproar of tolls going up and the government kicked the can down the line) when their pockets have been bleed for other costs and I would hazard a guess its going to impact on business and I can see a lot of shops moving from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

The Square already charges. They started by charging from the minute You got your ticket at the barrier. But I heard yesterday, they have already altered their charges, I think now 15 minutes grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Only a few min away if you take the M50 which would cost you same as a LV parking. You gain nothing by choosing Blanch, except more shops and more time wasted. If you actually know what you're looking for and what shop you need to go to, and are closer to LV then Blanch, then LV is still better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Stopped in to refund something the other day and it was fairly busy during work hours. I don't think all the people boycotting Liffey Valley are really sticking it to the man like they think they are.

It took me 20 minutes to get out of Blanch about 2 months ago just trying to get a coffee on my lunch break at 7pm, the extra fuel driving to Blanch is going to shave off most of the savings you would have made.

Makes no difference to me, €2.50 is cheaper than the bus for two of us. Plus driving is warm, dry and doesn't smell. 13 minute drive vs 45 minute bus journey, cycling is 20 minutes if I need something. I avoid LV like the plague though place is always frustratingly busy.

Why would SC lose a great income from parking for the sake of the shops' income? Most SC don't care what the income for shops is as long as they pay for the rent... As and example, Blanch SC is in such a high demand that you need to be years in the queue to get a chance to rent a unit. I see no difference for LV. If few shops leave, other will come. So they aren't idiots as you say, they're in fact very smart and only after themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

And if you think the lights in LV make the traffic bad it's not a patch on blanch. It's an absolute nightmare traffic wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I haven't been in Liffey Valley since late summer because of the ****-show roadworks and now the carpark charges - but I remember the M&S end of the centre having a lot of vacant units - it was eerily quiet down that end. I suspect if M&S wasn't there it would have been deserted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not so sure about that, there was a lot of units in LV empty for a long time, especially near the M&S end, and that was with free parking and no roadworks chaos.

What retailers would be interested in setting up in LV which aren't already there? I can't think of any but then again I don't really keep up with clothing brands for 20-something women, there's fcuk-all else there really now

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

I'm missing Manning Bakery, Mr Price, is there were to play a bowling and a table pool in LV? Just need some imagination. The problem that even I, living close enough to LV, more often go to Blanch as I find more shops to my needs there. I don't get a concept of LV. And I'm not the only one when I talk to my work colleagues and friends. However, with new apartment buildings at the large roundabout and new estates in Adamstown LV will probably get more customers. And hopefully will offer something different than any other SC in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LV is and always was a poor shopping destination for men. Nothing but clothes shops and even those are not great unless you want cheap fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The new traffic layout is not great at all tbh, seems like they fucked it with that turn after all the car shops. Roundabout was far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm closer to Blanch. But LV used to be quicker due to the grid lock traffic at Blanch. M&S used to be better in LV. Not been in LV in months at this point. Doesn't seem to be any reason to go their anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I don’t think there’s any free units? The bits down near M&S have huge new Zara shops and others. has been that way a while too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I didn't say that there were empty units at the moment

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

but you did ask who’d be willing to set up there. The answer is enough to keep the place full at the moment

• Advertisement

I visited the Tesco Superstore at Liffey Valley this afternoon and there are new big yellow Europarks signs at every entrance to their carpark that its a two hour max stay.

Advertisement