Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

We ll never know the amount spent by JP on Limerick. Suffice to say its phenomenal. Nobody goes travelling whilst the cups are still being won there. Absolutely no chance.

I'd say Derek Lyng will unearth a few gems. There's always a few rough diamonds in Kilkenny. The problem is it doesn't just gel..training under 20s is light years from senior. An awful lot would have to go right for Derek to get Kilkenny back to an All Ireland in his first year. I cant see it.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Has anybody Kilkenny league hurling fixtures for 2023 thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

You'd get odd cases of lads travelling on successful teams, Rory O'Carroll moved to New Zealand in the middle of Dublin's dominance while Mccaffery and Mannion took years out 2015&16 before stepping away again in 19&21. Interesting to see if incentives were given to Morrissey if true, Tyrone sorted Cathal McShane out with a job to help stop him going to Aussie Rules, think Morrissey is an accountant so don't think anything like that would have happened.

Home and away is reversed from 2022 which would mean home games vs Tipp and Dublin and away games vs Antrim, Laois and Waterford, don't know the running order though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

You’re right. It was Eire Og

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I'm more optimistic than that and feel ourselves and Galway are the nearest to Limerick.

In fact I believe we are the only two teams with a realistic chance of beating Limerick in a semi or final.

Waterford and Cork have tried and come up well short, we have beaten them and lost narrowly to them. Galway have pushed them really close last two years too. Clare drew with them twice but i believe Limerick would probably handle them comfortably in Croke Park.

I wish Browne and Carey the best, but their departures may prove beneficial to Kilkenny, giving clearer runs for Blanchfield and Corcoran, both of whom I believe will make cracking wing backs and will only strengthen the team from the starting team in 2022 AI final.

But we need to find at least one and maybe two new forwards. Billy Drennan will surely get a run in league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Kilkenny Ladies minor A final played in Carlow today. Some show of support for our ladies sport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very poor performance from the Shamrocks. Completely overrun in the second half. Dissapointed with the Shamrocks backs in particular, Darragh Corcoran, Richie Reid, Joey Holden and Darren Mullen were totally dominated. Some poor wides and balls dropped short. Can't see them putting it up to Ballygunner, certainly not on today's display

I'd still have it as a 50/50 they were poor against MLR, Ryanaghs and Thomas's in last years campaign and still delivered a performance if not result in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Lack of a panel told. Once Kilmacud upped the pace they were out on their feet for the last 20 mins. Don't think they made one substitution? On the back of last weeks game as well. Two week break badly needed. Missed the start of the game but what was wrong with Ronan Corcoran? They badly need him if they're to have a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Shamrocks lack pace in their backs. Age has caught up with Joey Holden, Darren Mullen was never the fastest nor was Evan Shefflin, Richie Reid faded badly. Darragh Corcoran was the biggest disappointment, I thought his touch was poor today. The forwards left scores out there but I would be confident that they can rectify this

Simple equation, Shamrocks turn up and play for 60 mins, they will probably win, anything else and Ballygunner will win. Their best will be good enough, they have better hurlers, but the problem is their best is only showing up in fits and starts for nearly two years now. Ballygunner rarely play below par. Therir performance level is consistently good.

I will add two factors

a. I was at match and conditions were far worse than the TV may have suggested, which may go someway to explain Shamrocks' atrocious profligacy. They hit just one point from their last 11 attempts from open play (5 wides and 5 short, and the goal was a fluffed point attempt too). Over the 60 mins, they must have been close to 20 missed shots. It's hard to see how they will be that wasteful in 2 weeks time.

b. Kilmacud are a very good team, way above average for Dublin (Cuala 2016-2018 aside) and I'd reckon would be a match for any of the Munster teams bar Ballygunner. So despite the 20 wide or short shots, Shamrocks still beat a pretty good side.

Certainly wouldn't be so cocksure that Ballyhale have the better hurlers, its 2 club teams of the standard of joe Mcdonagh intercounty teams in my opinion, both teams have quality all over the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭davidx40

I'd have to agree with Billy Ocean that I wouldn't be so sure Ballyhale have the better hurlers .......far from it actually.......

Yes, great point on panel depth. It rarely matters for them because the 15 starters are so good but it sure did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

They ll need a huge start against Ballygunner..like serious because if its close going to the last 15 they arent winning . Id never under estimate the motivation and ability if Ballyhale but the fade out stuff is shocking. They've alot of guys with a lack of gas..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Ballyhale didn't use a sub but Kilmacud didn't make a substitution until 52 mins so the tide turned with the 2 starting 15's on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'm not comparing the panels - it was a comment specifically about Ballyhale and their inability to change it from the bench when they start Niall Shortall. The second half was played at Crokes pace and Ballyhale ended up chasing shadows. I was very surprised nobody went down injured to break the momentum at any stage. You also need to factor in that Cody, Darren and Adrian Mullen and Richie Reid were on holiday in Thailand a few weeks ago which is obviously going to effect them especially with a run of 3 games in 4 weeks immediately after you come back. That and complacency after going so far ahead today. And Darren Mullen and Darragh Corcoran getting roasted down that side for the entire 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

I thought Darren Mullen was targeted by the Naas manager last week also.

You could see him telling his wing backs to hit Darren Mullens corner and the corner forward was scoring off him.

He is a decent club hurler, but nowhere near senior inter county standard.

He wouldn’t even do well at Joe McDonagh level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

What time is the semi final v Ballygunner ? hopefully its not clashing with the world cup final. Shamrocks look very slow at the back. Especially the half back line. When Shamrocks come under pressure Richie Reid offers little resistance. Kilmacud Crokes were walking through the centre could have scored 5/6 goals if more clinical or had more belief.

Post edited by Village87 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Ronan Corcoran missing was a big loss and Brian Butlers seeming inability to get fit really told on Sunday. When they start Killian and young Shortall, Ballyhale have very little to offer from the bench. They have a very strong starting 15 and the couple of young lads when they can be kept in reserve are good enough to help finish teams off at this level but their not the finished article yet. I think if Ronan Cororan starts I give Ballyhale a good chance, if he fails to make it I would say its Ballygunnars to lose. Both teams can be very explosive so they could put each other to the sword and win big but I would expect it to be fairly tight in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Brian cody obviously a big loss aswell. I was at the match and agree with a previous poster that teams are isolating Darren mullen inside and targeting him,naas done the same. Ballygunnner have a better inside line so shamrocks management have thinking to do. Paddy mullen is wreckless at times,he needs to tidy up his discipline. At half time it looked over but crokes could of very easily won that. They just walked through the shamrocks and it has to be a concern. Colin travelling in January so that finishes the potential come back but I don't think there was need for the comments about disrespecting them in the speech last year. This is the game the shamrocks want and all the neutrals want. It should be a cracker. Shamrocks determined to make up for last year and Ballygunnner wanting to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Thurles is ruled out. Talks of wexford park. Do we know when and where its on? David Burke getting married around this time aswell so St Thomas might want there match changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The two matches are on the Sunday of the world cup throw in for the shamrocks match is 3-30pm Croke park, Brian Cody is a major loss to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭robwen

I see 3pm kick off for the world cup final is that our time or Qatar time? Some pain if it's 3pm our time

What local clubs are on the look out for new managers/ trainers??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

3pm our time. Annoying clash but I can't imagine it will take away much from the attendance anyway.

I think it might effect the attendance and certainly TV viewers, the Cuala Na Pairsaigh final in 2018 was played the same afternoon as Ireland won the grand slam in Twickenham and definitely effected the attendance of that game, realistically the world cup final in soccer is the biggest sporting event on the planet so to have it clashing even with the allowance of the St Thomas wedding on the Saturday is surprising. As a netural who watches most sports but hurling been my favourite I'll watch the hurling but have the soccer on the laptop in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

I meant that more that the crowd in Croker would be so small anyway. It will affect the TV viewership as you correctly pointed out alright. Can't imagine I'll watch too much bar a few minutes when it's half time in the football. Poor decision not to avoid a clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Wasn't Kilkenny v Limerick 2018 in Thurles on the same day as the World Cup final?

• Advertisement

They did but hurling was at 2 and soccer 4, Clare and Wexford was on the Saturday. Kerry and Galway in football clashed with the soccer.

Advertisement