Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strategy for bidding below asking price

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There are considerable legal differences between selling at auction and Private Treaty sales, if what you propose was applied to Private Treaty sales, the seller could just pick a random number of hundreds of thousands over the realistic asking price, and advertise that as the minimum price. Every seller and buyer would still know that as the market sets the selling price, the asking price/advertised minimum selling price would be completely irrelevant, just as the guide price is when advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I'm sure the seller would like 500k over asking too, why not 2 million, why stop there.

You don't have to bend over for seller and especially not for the EA. If they jumped this fast to negotiation, they took the bait. There are probably few if any other bidders. You're supposed to be bidding against the market, not against seller-EA dream land. Do always make sure to ask on email how many other bidders are in the process and what is the highest bid. Don't bid against yourself, if they want you to up the bid it's on the understanding that you negotiate 1 on 1 with the agent and if you shake on it it's sale agreed.

"It's not worth that to me, my offer stands, but not for long " be polite, if the property has been on the market for over a month point that out. They will come back if there isn't a crowd of bidders, if you think it's reasonable you can then even negotiate and give them a "win" by going a bit higher. Sellers and agents are shaky right now, the market is turning into a bit of an unknown, and there is traditionally a bit of a dead period around late Dec-Jan any smart agent will want to deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Similar situation. Have bid 5 to 10 per cent under asking on three different houses now. None accepted but all have come back and named the actual (below asking) price they're currently willing to accept.

I'm hoping that by letting them sit, one of the vendors will end up accepting or at least further lower their "willing to accept".

Might also backfire spectacularly should more bidders get involved but will keep you posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was bidding on a house in Phibsboro last year at about 30k under asking, the vendor got back and said they'd take 10k under asking.

I was stubborn and kept looking at/bidding on other houses, in the knowledge they'd go for the 10k under.

Finally went back and offered 10k under - the vendor's mam had since died and they were taking the house off the market.

Always wondered if they'd have gone through with the sale if I'd made the offer a few months previously. I was really gutted at the time as I loved the place.

I see it actually sold over the summer for 15k over asking, so worked out for the vendor in the end as they got an extra 25k for waiting a year.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

All's fair in love and war when it comes to buying things in the hundreds of thousands of euro.

You'd be a chump to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Bid went in Friday and heard nothing back yet. I’m hoping against hope that the sellers are strongly considering the offer and will ultimately accept.

more realistically, the EA probably just forgot to ring us with the rejection.

What's the best play - play it cool and wait for the EA to come back to me, or follow up and ask for an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Quite harsh. The poster took a risk and it didn't work out for them. Happens to most people many many times over the course of their lives.

Meh, when you take the risk, there can be good or bad consequences, it’s no biggy to say you deserve what you get when you take that risk, it’s your decision.

The buyer was willing to sell below asking, the poster was willing to pay it but decided to in his own words be “stubborn”, even though the seller told him they would not sell at the lower offer. In the end the seller got 25k more than what it was offered at to the poster and he was “gutted” to miss out on a house he loved. All’s fair in love and house buying, but considering the difficulty in buying a home in Dublin, and the fact that the poster didn’t say he couldn’t afford it/didn’t think the house was worth it, his “strategy” cost him the house he loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

Yeah we all read the previous posts. To say he got what he deserved suggests he did something wrong which he didn't. Circumstances worked against him - if the vendors mother hadn't died he probably would have got the house at the amount he bid. Prices have surged in the past year which benefited the sellers - they could have gone the other way also.

Separately, I'm the highest bidder on a house at 30k under asking but the vendors are holding out for the asking even if it means waiting til Spring. I won't be bidding against myself.

• Advertisement

That’s the thing, circumstances didn’t work against him, he was offered the house 10k below asking, he was willing to pay it, but stubbornness meant he wouldn’t, until it was too late and the opportunity was missed. Prices have been surging in Dublin for years, and you have no basis for thinking he would have got the house for 30k below asking having already been told that the bid would not be accepted. This isn’t a case of bad luck.

You could get your house at 30k below, or miss out on the house you love, whichever it is, you deserve what you get, it’s your decision.

I'm still in the game if another bidder comes into the fray. And that's all it is, a game of poker. The bidder did nothing wrong despite what you claim with your choice of words.

Your game is not yet the same, your vendor hasn’t come to you yet and said they will accept a bid of €10k below asking, you haven’t yet said you are willing to pay it, but you are stubborn and want to take a chance in holding out. Your strategy could work, but if your game follows the same line as the other poster’s, I’ll say the same to you, you got what your strategy deserved:

Obviously if the poster missed out on the house he “loved” and is “gutted” even though he was willing to pay the price, but wouldn’t due to stubbornness, he is now looking back thinking he did something wrong, he didn’t take the opportunity that presented itself. I dont know if he bought since, if he hasn’t , depending on if he is renting, that’s an extra year of rent, higher house prices and higher mortgage rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

My advice is to tell the agent your 360k bid will be withdrawn after a week as you are still looking at properties.

I find that viewing a similar place with the same agent can work wonders.

The sellers are cacking themselves right now, as buyers of fixer-uppers are getting nervous. Banks aren't lending without renovation estimates, and contractors are not providing estimates they will stand over forever.

My vendor has effectively said the same thing - they are holding out for asking, meaning they will accept a bid of the ask. You're stating the obvious when stating that you get the outcome of your decisions - which could be overpaying or underpaying or walking away. It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

If what I am stating is obvious, what’s your issue? You are dragging the thread away from the topic.

You don’t think bidding strategy is affected when the buyer tells you that they won’t accept your bid, and what they will accept?

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Basically what 3 data said above,

I'm surprised the estate agent hasn't gotten back to you ,

If you think your up for it, basically make a "final offer " with a time deadline .. as in - if it's sale agreed by Monday ( or whenever ) then this is what we'll offer , if not we're out ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In a way you've nothing to lose ,

As it is , asking price plus realistic refurb costs is out of your budget ,

So pick a price that'd make it work - and offer it with a time deadline - but be prepared to walk If you don't get it ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

OP, sit tight and wait for the call from the EA, give them until Friday and follow up only asking if any update on your current offer. If the EA says the bid was rejected, tell them you think about a new bid and need the weekend to think it over and call again either Tuesday or Wednesday with a new and final offer but remember, you have a budget, and you need to stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

We put a bid on a house 20k under asking. They sat on it for a couple of weeks, no response either way. We had followed up with the EA after a week and was told "thank you for your offer" or something similar but no acceptance or rejection - it was frustrating.

We left it there another week and still no update when we phoned the EA. There were no higher bids. It had been on the market about a month when we put our offer on it with on other offer 20k under ours.

Tbh we really wanted it, we think it'll be our forever home. The EA had mentioned while we were viewing/enquiring that the vendors want their asking price. We in the meantime were going sale agreed on our own house, and after 2.5 weeks of no response, we decided to up our offer 20k to asking price and asked them to respond within a week. They accepted the next business day.

So we basically bid against ourselves, and sure we could have hung on to see what else happened, but we decided we didn't want to risk losing it, and we are in the process of buying it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I think that it's important not to conflate an auction with the bidding wars that we see today. In an auction, a bid is binding. In a bidding war, an offer is often just a number, and many agents don't even bother asking for proof of funding before accepting an offer.

Also, there are other factors that come into play in a bidding war. For example, if two people want a house, they will keep bidding out of a desire to not let the other person win. On my mother's road, a house sold for 630k last year when every other house on the road is valued (and selling for) around 500-550k. Many sales also fall through once the buyer sobers up and realises that he/she has well overpaid for the property. This happened recently to a house across the road that was "sold" by that paragon of integrity Auctionera. It went 100k over the asking, and it's now back on the market with another agent.

In short, bidding wars are deleterious in many ways. There should be regulation to prevent them.

No there shouldn’t, the market should set the price for a house, no one is forcing bidders to bid, and it should be up to the seller which bid they wish to accept, which is usually the highest. Why should there be regulation over how much a vendor sells their assets for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Your last sentence is not at all what I suggested.

What are you suggesting? It reads like you are unhappy with buyers bidding for properties and want to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Doc07

Bid as low as you want and do not be embarrassed. For example I wouldn’t see any problem with chancing 300€. I bought an old house that needed ‘some’ work. It’s very difficult to appreciate how much you might need to invest in upgrading an old house. I placed significant underbids on 2 places while house hunting and the EA didn’t dismiss them outright. Also got into stupid bidding war on a completely overvalued house ( in good location) but thankfully bailed out.

Also don’t be afraid to be very assertive with EA and while I would always be respectful , by default having a ‘don’t trust them’ is a reasonable advice IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Quick update - EA came back to us and told us the Vendor would accept at €370k. We had a think about it and a couple of hours later upped our bid to €370k, so now we will be sale agreed once we pay the booking deposit.

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Delighted to hear that, best of luck with it, hope all goes well!

Master of the Universe

Congrats! Delighted to hear it worked out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yermanhimself

You should have started at £350 K to get it at £360K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Advertisement