Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This thread is so entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

God how negative. Happy Christmas anyways SOM.

The mild sector is over the Northwest now but a colder sector comes tonight with showers of hail sleet and snow.

Met Eireann promises temperatures of minus 5 and minus 6 for the next 5 nights. Temperatures by day 0c to 3c. A bit milder on coasts.

When was the last time we had weather like this in December.

Also people saying it's normal winter fayre no it's not. Normal winter for us is 13c and rain. Sometimes 8c and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seems to have bottomed out at -2’C for me

Beats last December when I had no sub zero days.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Minus 4 in Kerry seems the lowest. Strange to see the Southwest the coldest. Should be some nice photos on this thread in the coming days.

Normally 11 to 13c there in Irish December.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭prosaic

Question about unoccupied top-floor apt, well insulated. What kind of temperature outside is needed to start worrying about freezing pipes? e.g. Sustained 24hr below -2? Or day time zero and night time -4?

It isn't heated at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

-3C showing in the car this morning in North Kildare.

Lot of ice about, which is only melting at the moment under direct sunlight, any shade still heavily frosted.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring given it's supposed to be colder again!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Midlands showing up on the models to get a dusting on Thurs. Looks like continous wintry showers in N and NW counties throughout the day, some low lying places could see a few cm's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Still - 3c in some parts of the country, last night kept going below 0c and then slightly above and so on, so barely any frost this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

That -3.8c is for Millstreet ACS (Cork) if you're going by the WOW Met site.

Owing to the light north-easterly drift in the airflow, and added protection from the mountains this allows locations in the southwest to cool considerably more than the more traditional flatter midlands parts who in this set up are more exposed to the airflow and have no valleys to "trap" cold air.

11c to 13c would be above average for a location like Millstreet which should average around 8c maxes in December. Unfortunately, the southwest has an abundance of coastal stations which skews that region as being milder than it really is for many living 50km or more away from the coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Beautiful sunny and crisp day in N. Louth. I'm heading to Greenore for a few holes. Love this kind of weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No ice day for me anyway, temperature gone positive again.

Safe to go outside now 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I based in Clondalkin and didn't notice any ice on the car or else where this morning and I left the house before 8:00am, but I'm not looking forward to having to clear the car off in the bitter cold.

In relation to extreme colds and possible snow, I think it's safe to say as soon as Met Eireann start ramping it up, you can be sure it'll be a damp squib! It's like the Jinx it for us 🙄

@optogirl there you go 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Squib people, damp squib. All squids are, by nature, damp. Sorry to be pedantic pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Calamari can be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Very glad you said that 😆 - was bugging me too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

What is a squib anyway?

beautiful day in Carlow. Not that cold yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Clondalkin here and there was a thin sheet of ice on the windscreen of my car this morning at 9:00am when I went out. Car is in the shade to so that helped i guess

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

damp squib (plural damp squibs) (literally) A firework that has been wet and therefore fails to go off correctly. (idiomatic, by extension) Anything that doesn't work properly, or fails to come up to expectations; a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭prosaic

Dry squid kind of day

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It will be interesting to see if the ECM or ARPEGE is right on this tomorrow night, the short distance between the two could make a lot of difference in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

3 Degress in North Kildare. Just a normal winters day. I think it might hit lows of 2 degrees later this evening. The anticipation is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The truth is its not normal for Ireland. We rarely get sub 7 all winter.

No idea why people bother posting in here only to moan when there's something outside the norm happening. Just leave the place to people who have an interest in following the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has gone very dark . Bright sun a few minutes ago ..bitterly cold. And very still and silent.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Indeed, most squid are damp. Perhaps they're referring to the elusive Pedantic Squid?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another absolutely gorgeous day. Long may it continue. Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think you're bang off the money fella. We have been reading in the media and listening to met eireann / rte building this up. I'm prefectly entitled to highlight the fact that this weather is nothing out of the ordinary or extreme. I think that needs to be done in fact. When media or met eireann start scare mongering they need to be conscious of the fact that it can have a very negative impact on some people.

I get that there are posters on here who hang on every word Evelyn says and want to believe we are facing Arctic like conditions for their own amusement but their opinions are no more relevant than mine or anyone else who is a bit more realistic about the weather and actually lives on planet earth.

It's been pointed out before that issuing storm warnings when the weather is a little bit bad will make people switch off to them when the really strong storms hit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Gusser09 OK. Point made/noted. Can we move on with less of the repetitive cynical/smart (arse) posts. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

The problem seems to be that only one type of “following the weather” is truly tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Freezing in the office today. Its only 5c outside doesn't feel that much warmer inside. At least I am working from home for the rest of the week so I cover myself in a duvet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement