Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers leaving Dublin schools due to accommodation costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Rents in Dublin are only partly the reason, the cost of transport makes it not worth while traveling to Dublin for work from neighbouring counties. Im really considering leaving a job in Dublin after the new year for this reason!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

And yet Minister Madigan stated on Morning Ireland today that she wasn't aware of SETs being used as subs in mainstream rooms. When pressed, she admitted to hearing " anecdotal " cases. Minster Foley trotted out the predictable" money to supply panel" press statement to Drive Time. A supply panel only works if there are staff on it. Another big issue will be that SNAs will also be priced out of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Its hilarious, it's all anecdotal if the Department don't go compile the stats, thats really an admission of failure on her part. Any primary school I know of is doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

This reminds me that in c. 2011 I wrote to our great, eh, reforming Minister for Education - Ruairí Quinn, of course! - asking would he create a centralised recruitment system for secondary level schools across the State (which exists in many EU countries). I received a letter back a week or so later thanking me for my letter which... was received. Nothing about the substantive proposal. So, I guess that qualifies as a "response" statistic for civil service responsiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

Problem with this is that schools will always want their control over recruitment to get 'the right fit'.

• Advertisement

In fairness, the first time I've seen the 2 year issue raised properly, introducing that at the same time as we were heading into a population spike was a terrible idea.......and completely cut a large number of people from lower socioeconomic bands out of the equation. Wrong on so many fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

If that's about extending the dip/pgde to two years, then completely motivated by money....more years in college, more fees imo etc etc.....

Education or at least standards are in many ways being degraded by moves designed to get more heads and more money in the door.....there's a proliferation of policies and "frameworks" and "scaffolding" and engaging and contexts and remits .... but what a student can actually do at the end of it has really been watered down imo......and the irony of a policy decision excluding lower socioeconomic bands given how one could knock a pretty good game of inclusion bingo out of listening/reading the policies......

Oh absolutely, we will say the word inclusion while instituting a policy of a 2 year PME for no reason other than to feather the colleges nests while effectly blocking anyone without access to credit or generational wealth. It should have been pilloried at the time.

Completely correct around the buzzwords. I can't remember the last time we actually sat down as a staff and discussed actual attainment or real learning. That's a damning indictment of the Department really. Great excuse for people who can't actually teach to look busy though

In fairness the 2 years was required by qqi to bring the hdip up to masters from diploma.

Anyone who did the pgde around 2009 (can't remember exact year) will know about the kerfuffle of not getting it recognised as level 9 when the colleges told students it was.

I think the crux of the matter was the Dissertation being done in a one year course, hence 2 years (plus other requirements tagged on). Really though a dissertation would be better if students had a bit of time served.

I say make it one year, slightly lower pay, then dissertation to be completed in 5 years with masters allowance to kick in upon completion.

The slight reduction in pay nationwide could easily pay for a Dublin bonus for the first 5 years.

Anyway, this is all pointless, nothing except tinkering around edges will be done. Dublin's loss is rural Ireland's gain for the moment. Dublin politicians kids are looked after in Dublin. Population will be falling in a couple of years.

Parents and kids will muddle through then move on with their lives.

It'll make the news August silly season and be lumped in with school uniforms and how expensive books are.

Pay is not linked to it being a masters, there are no allowances now anyway. It could have stayed the Dip or PDGE and it would have had no effect on anyone's pay. You can't lower their pay for that reason, plenty of teacher currently employed don't have a masters (the majority and they never will). It wouldn't even be legal. The HDIP, PGDE and PME are treated as equivalent by everyone in education.

It was a money grab by college pure and simple, I've never heard another arguement for it, including those within the third level system. We already had well trained teachers, valuable on the international market.

The long term effects on the most vunerable children will be stark, DEIS is a bulwark against further degradation in some communities and students who come from poorer socio economic backgrounds will suffer. These kids and parents won't muddle through unfortunately and cycles of poverty that could have been broken won't be. The state of AEN in the inner city is terrifying, as a society will will reap that. Just like the cuts in services for the most vulnerable during the recession led to decay and criminality in some north and south inner city communities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Since the PME was introduced there has been an overall downgrading in our education system. I can never understand how they can introduce new ways of doing things but can never go back to how things were, even when tried and tested and it's clear as day that the old way worked better for everyone.

Most of the people training to be teachers now and doing the PME are from privileged homes and backgrounds, they cant relate to half the kids theyre working with, who have often times been through more in their young lives than the new teachers will go through in a lifetime.

Totally agree with the damage done and being done. I'm not advocating for what I outlined btw , just putting it in perspective of politicians who just care about losing votes . It doesn't really affect enough of their constituents. Plus it's a local Dublin issue. That won't really affect the overall FF or FG vote. To me it's a crime to take teachers from kids with additional needs and put them into mainstream.

But totally agree, the demographic appears to me to be 'very homogeneous'. Nobody from the local area teaching there.

Just had a read of the ASTI newsletter and nail on the head. Rather than all these bullshit initiatives and dressing up of a new curriculum, the most basic place anyone would start with is where we perform the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Our GDP is wildly out of kilter compared to other countries due to the influence of multinationals here. It is not a valid basis to make comparisons to other countries.

Oh yeah cos those multinationals don't pay any tax at all on those revenues earned in Ireland, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Don’t know if it’s intentional that you’re missing the point or not but you’ve missed the whole point of the thread seemingly. The van loads of lads are heading for Dublin because they can’t get work close to the small village where your from. If they could get work closer to home do you think they’d be piling into the van at 5am?!

Teachers can get work closer to the small village without having to go into Dublin. So why would they commute, they don’t have to? The teachers aren’t complaining, they can get jobs elsewhere. It’s the schools in Dublin are complaining because they can’t get enough teachers.

This is the crux of the problem for Dublin schools. Multiple factors have come together at the same.

Every two bit village has a school that teachers can move to and be more better off relative to other workers in the area. Why would they not move. If they have a partner who can now work at home makes the move even easier.

After the lockdowns with Covid, teachers are taking their career breaks now to work abroad for a few years.

There is increased in school population due to immigration.

The housing crises has got so out of control that public servant salaries are not enough for people to live on there. At lease in the private sector emploers can increase pay somewhat to offset this. Pay increases to Dublin employees will not be possible due to union knock-on claims (so much for union soldarity) so the Government will have to return to the days of providing subsidized accommodation for teachers, gardai, nurses etc. Allow them save deposits for their place. This would have the added benefit of weakening union tactics of referring to Dublin costs as the reason to drive up salaries for everyone. Come up with work-arounds to avoid union knock-on claims or tackle unions once and for all to allow Dublin based allowances.

Incessant negativty and moaning in the workplace is itself a self-fulfilling prophecy, leading others who may not consider leaving to consider it when hearing of others doing the same. It cannot be a healthy workplace for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I personally know a few teachers too living in Dublin. 2 of them are leaving for their home counties in the summer. 2 are going to emigrate and 2 are staying in Dublin but seriously thinking about moving home or emigrating. Some are even leaving teaching altogether. One is actually going to work as a plumber with his brother instead of look for another teaching job.

And all of them are permanent long experienced teachers in Dublin and they dont have much of a chance of getting a permanent job when they move down the country (which i only just found out how that works), yet they are still moving.

My own company pays those who work in London or Dublin a city allowance of €420 per month. Everyone else gets an accommodation allowance of €300 or £300 per month depending on which country they live in. It doesnt matter if its towards a mortgage or your rent, its just added on to your salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

MY company has bough a few and rented a few more apartments that they put up contractors and new hires in in Dublin. They started doing that during covid. They also give a generous rent to any staff member who rents a spare room or a whole apartment or house to the company.

But I really dont see the government housing government staff when they cant even get near housing the people already looking for houses. Never going to happen.

This is why it was so common to see teachers, nurses, guards end up marrying each other in rural Ireland. It puts them in an incredibly strong position economically. As you say they have the best houses, best cars, more holidays than others.

Post edited by salonfire on

What are you raving about man. Where have you read that unions are against a Dublin allowance?

Can you provide a link somewhere?

• Advertisement

Best cars? I've never seen a teacher driving around in a new lexus or Jaguar. Maybe a new VW at a push. Even at that it'd be the only new car in the car park, and they're have it for the next ten years.

Ya god forbid a teacher can afford a new car, definitely can't have that, rising above their station, wotwot.

What's your own job anyway salonfire.

Tell me now , and I'll tell you all about it.

Something like a Dublin allowance would have to be put to ballot. No way would it be accepted. The unions don't even want to go down that road. It would cause no end of division within the ranks. Therefore it is never even been a mere suggestion from them or the Government even though its the most common sense thing to do. As is done in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

A Dublin allowance will never be implemented.

Unions argue for equal pay for equal work. Your job being situated in an area with higher housing does not fall within this remit. Unions are more likely to argue for any policy that increases housing supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The vast majority of the midlands is basically the commuter belt of Dublin and most of the big sites are on what I would class as the outskirts of the city out round blanch etc. Or are actually in Kildare.

There's plenty of teachers who commute over an hour each way to work too. Many from the midlands to similar areas around Dublin as these big sites.

However schools aren't just out round the outskirts. Getting to leixlip or blanch is one thing but getting into the inner city or parts of the southside which are damn near inaccessible by car at rush hour or served by only a patchwork of public transport is a totally different ballgame.

There's also plenty plenty more tradesmen from down the country staying in accommodation payed for by their employers. Be that houses rented by the companies or company level deals made with hotels.

It would also take away the strongest argument they have in pay demands pointing to Dublin COL as justification to drive up their member salaries in every backwater in the country. Considering there is already location allowances in place, like working on the Islands, it is extremely cynical of unions and their membership to allow their Dublin colleagues live in relative hardship. Especially while the housing crisis continues and services are getting hammered as staff flee.

Again... Where are you reading that unions are against a Dublin allowance? Apart from your own imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Interesting to read the cognitive dissonance in the media regarding the difficulty in finding a permanent position and availability of career breaks. There is a clear connect between the two. Career breaks, often multiple years, prevent new entrants from gaining a permanent position. I get that it is advantageous to the teacher taking a break, but it causes problems for everyone else, principals, kids, younger teachers etc.

Also, given the huge gender imbalance in the teaching profession, particularly at primary level, and the view that this is undesirable in other areas such as politics and private company boards, maybe it would be a good idea to look at some sort of preference to take on male teachers when permanent positions open up? It would have the benefit of increasing the gender balance, which is of course desirable, while also reducing the amount of maternity leave taken by teachers.

The gender imbalance is as a result of historic gender roles and stereotypes of women as caregivers. Even now in primary schools with men they will often have older classes. We do need to address this at primary.

Maternity leave is only an issue because of a chronic shortage of teachers, teachers being sick is an issue too, and career breaks and taking kids to sports games and other extras .......everything is an issue when you are understaffed because you've made a job unattractive. The media constantly giving out about teachers doesn't help. But at the end of the day this is all down to housing, and the same is true for nurses and OTs and all the other shortages.

The lads on career break in ours won't come home if it's revoked. They are good teachers. We will probably just hire them back whenever they get back anyway. The career break keeps them in contact with the school and is a little draw back, that's all. On the international market they know their worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

As we have seen, gender roles are changing and sometimes they need a bit of help from the government to change.

If you have a very large proportion of staff who are young females, you will need to have much higher cover than in a normal company for example. Primary teaching must be nearly unique in this respect in Ireland.

Holding permanent positions for years for people who are working abroad is one of the reasons it is so hard to get a permanent position for new teachers. The international market is mostly the middle east, which would be a hardship post basically, very few would want to stay there long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Could the government not just take a lead from their private sector counter-parts here and simply announce a Dublin premium for all public sector workers? It could be even better targeted for those actually living and working in Dublin (or other high pressure areas for accommodation) by giving it as a tax credit for any public sector worker living within the already defined RPZs.

I remember Margaret Heffernan famously cutting the knees out from under Mandate in Dunes Stores years ago by negotiating a salary increase with the union, letting them announce it and then announcing a slightly higher increase herself a few weeks later. Sure, it'd piss off the union leaderships to not be consulted on any Dublin premium but they'd have a hard time coming out against a pay raise for the subset of their members who are most in need of it... or if they did, they'd find they'd have little to no public support.

Advertisement