Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Better teams didn't make it to the World Cup, like Norway or Hungary

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

We've accepted style over substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭siblers

7 yellows after almost 3 full games is a bit mad. Wonder how many of them were genuine yellows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

I see Luca Connell scored for Barnsley last night. Elsewhere Cashin, Hourihane, McGoldrick and Collins all started for Derby with Knight on the bench. Mark McGuinness starts for Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Some suggestion that Ferguson could go out on loan in January.

This makes sense to me. He's 18 now and it's clear he's too good to be rotting in under 21 football.

Interesting they mention Connolly, who by some accounts is surplus to requirements in Italy and will be sent back early from his loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Great to see Luca Connell having a good start to the season with Barnsley after wasting a few years at Celtic.

Tony Bloom owns Union SG in Belgium who've been one of the better teams since being promoted last season. Would be great to see Ferguson or Moran spend a bit of time there.

Had to laugh at some of the comments of your man Hayes when talking about Championship Vs League One for a loan. He's 18 and think even if he were to go to one of the teams pushing for the League One title would be very beneficial for him before getting a season loan somewhere.

Might only get a few minutes here and there but in the championship Swansea could be somewhere he could develop nicely. They play a good style of football, a system that could suit him, and Russell Martin seems like a good coach. They'll also likely be replacing Piroe and Obafemi next summer and wouldn't be surprised if Obafemi left in January so will be looking at options for next summer and a few months there could see them bring him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The lad McAllister from Argentina isn’t actually an Irish qualified player is he?

No he's a good few generations out for Ireland and Scotland.

Venezia's club chairman Duncan Niederauer has spoken about what is next for the Seagulls forward. He said how the young Irishman has struggled to adapt at his loan club and discussions will be held with the Sussex outfit over what comes next for him.

“Connolly? The player isn’t injured, he was, but he’s fine now, he’s had some adaptation difficulties. We will talk to Brighton in January to find a solution. In January and June, we will do several operations,” Niederauer said, via TuttoMercatoWeb

• Advertisement

Could see Swansea taking a gamble on him. Brighton will have to face the fact that they're gonna have to let him go for dirt dirt cheap or let his contract run down.

They should do what Everton did with Dele Ali and let him go somewhere on a free and just stick a 20% sell on clause into the deal if they want to try get him off the books asap.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Whatever about Connolly’s failings, It’s odd he looked good playing as a winger in Stephen Kennys under 21 side, scored 2 goals on his full Brighton debut as a 9 and then I can’t ever remember seeing him play as a winger again despite looking a limited fit at 9. I know wingers are no longer fashionable but he seems possibly a huge victim of this

That would require either Connolly to take a 1- big wage cut from his 25k a week

2- a new club to be willing to pay the 25k

3- Brighton to pay …say… 10k a week just for him to leave and a new club to pay him 15k a week

none of the above seems likely. Think he’ll just continue to go on loan and if he really impresses maybe a deal can be struck that satisfies all parties

Swansea are pushing for a play-off spot, I would be shocked if they pulled the trigger on a player who's failed to perform in his previous two loan spells.

Connolly is the type of player who I can't see benefiting from droping down levels. The Championship is a more physical league, League 1 even more so again. For a player like Connolly who struggles with that physical aspect, there's very few teams who he would suit. He's a player who needs ball at feet, and if he starts dropping down the levels, he's going to get less and less of that.

I have no idea where he goes from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder if maybe the Netherlands might suit him... bit less physical than the championship, and everyone speaks English so should be easier to adapt than Italy has been. MLS might be an alright option even.

Swansea brought in Armstrong Oko-Flex as a back up player this season who had 49mins of senior football. They're a club that are shopping on a small budget and looking for bargains. Not to say Connolly is a bargain but they bought Obafemi on the cheap as Southampton wanted rid and were rumours that Burnley were gonna spend £8m after just one season at Swansea.

Do believe if Swansea were able to work a deal that suited them they'd consider it. Someone on the cheap they'd be hoping to do another Obafemi with who also had his off the field issues with coaches talking about his lack of professionalism holding him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Martin O'Neill interviewed on TalkSport and asked about how and why Grealish and Rice didn't commit themselves to the ROI.

Strange comments from O'Neill who didn't seem to give a proper answer to what the question entailed. It sounds like he knew Rice had made his mind up to play for England and still gave him 3 Irish caps anyway. It's clear the caller is asking why weren't Grealish and Rice capped early competitively but O'Neill instead goes off on a tangent without seemingly being direct to answer the question we've all wanted to ask ourselves.

it’s about time people move on from talking about why we couldn’t get English men to play for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

Amen to that. I’m happy they are with England and not with us if that’s how they felt. Give me genuine Irish players any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Well said. Personally I am delighted they are not playing for us. I have zero issue with players born outside the 32 counties playing for us but only long as they see themselves as Irish first which clearly those 2 never did.

I’m sorry but let’s have some real talk here.

Any person born in England with English born parents will see themselves as English. So countless caps have been awarded to people who see themselves as English. The grandparent rule is handy but it’s a load of shite.

Grealish clearly has stronger Irish links than many of our players do given the GAA background and the visits to Ireland. It still doesn’t make him more Irish than English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd agree with this, really don't know where he goes from here. Can't see any clubs at a high level willing to give him a run and even if they did, not sure if he would seize the opportunity. Then I can't see dropping down the leagues working for him due to reasons listed above and I think his ego would make him think he is too good for L1, L2, LOI football etc.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns his career around, his performance for the u21s lately was a reminder that he is a decent player still. But attitude seems to stink and has not given any reasons to be positive at club level in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’ve heard that Rovers have put in a loan offer. Would be down to Brighton agreeing to pay his wages. Stephen Ireland MkII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Don't be sorry just stick with the straight insult without qualifying it. Yes no question most players born in another country will feel themselves of that country first but not all. There is also no question there have been Irish caps given to players who really should not have been given they really didn't see themselves as Irish.

I am saying I don't want players playing for Ireland that don't see themselves as being Irish playing for us only players that clearly see themselves as Irish. Kevin Kilbane would be a good example born in England but always saw himself as Irish and wanted to play for us. In todays more diverse world there are many who have multiple nationalities. I myself hold more then one passport. But as long as a player clearly sees himself as Irish while also being maybe partly of 1 or 2 other nationalities that is good with me. But no thanks to players who can't get a game with another country and do not see themselves as Irish but just use us.

Rovers would actually be a good shout. It's a level down, but he'd be playing decent football and be with the best team in the league. If he spent a season there, got 15 goals or so, he'd definitely rekindle some decent interest.

Are Brighton really going to pay Connolly a 5 figure weekly wage to play for rovers for free in a low standard league which is not going to be a great shop window compared to an L1 which will be able to contribute to his wage.

for all connolly’s faults he looked our most dangerous starting player in the recent under 21 playoffs so I’m not convinced his career would be best served by going to the LOI to be honest.

He obviously didn’t like the question, maybe was bored by it, maybe he’s right…long since time to move on imo

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Re: Rice and Grealish. I don't for one second doubt their genuine feeling for their Irish connection. Both guys have Irish families. Feeling "more English" is thrown out there as the reason. The real reason is that in this day and age, exposure and commercial opportunities are king. There is more ££££ in being a one cap wonder for England than being a 100 cap player for Ireland.

These lads didn't choose England because they feel so English, they (and their team of agents/advisors etc..) made a decision based on so many factors, and its an easy choice given the fact they are English born too.

Re: Connolly, the lad is very talented but seems an absolute flute. Don't think its something that can be changed unfortunately. You see it all the time in England when talented younger players get that first big contract. They are financially set, the hunger is gone. The interview he did when he joined Venezia where he blamed his "friends" for his form falling off a cliff was another warning sign. Talented lad but will never knuckle down. Talk of signing for Rovers on loan, what happens if he ends up flopping in the LOI? Which is a possibility given his dreadful attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I think flopping in LOI is his trajectory tbh. Brighton will probably let him go. He’s worthless to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say he being moved to Union in Belgium is his best chance of playing or else just sit in the stands at Brighton and have his contract run out.

He will probably end up back here but not before he swallows his ego/runs out his Brighton deal.

Rice or Grealish do not have Irish families. I don’t know where that has come from. Grealish’s da is wearing a Union Jack waistcoat at the games in Qatar. His great great grandfather played for England.

Having Irish grandparents does not mean you have an Irish family. Having two Irish parents like Kevin kilbane or Noel Gallagher means you have an Irish family. Rice and Grealish feel more English than Irish which is totally natural.

• Advertisement

union are title contenders in Belgium, I’d say he has better chances of playing in L1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'm fairly certain that Rice was on the bench during a competitive game? If that's right, then I don't understand why he would have a player on the bench who he couldn't play, and who seemingly would have refused to come on.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Is that true though? Heard he was on the bench for a qualifier against Moldova but always thought it was an urban legend to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Fair enough.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

No problem, to paraphrase Keyser Soze; the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing many Irish fans Rice was on the bench vs Moldova.

And that we it matters if we finish third in UEFA qualifying groups to get a playoff

The U19s and U17s found out this morning which teams they'll be playing in the elite rounds come March. The U19s were top seeds for their draw with the U17s being fourth seeds for theirs.

Group 5: Republic of Ireland, Greece, Estonia, Slovakia

Group 6: Italy, Ukraine, Cyprus, Republic of Ireland

Only the group winners go through to the finals from the U19s while the seven best runners up also qualify for the U17s finals. U19s have also been confirmed as hosts for the elite round games while the U17s travel to Cyprus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MON is being kind to the two lads,

What happened is they never thought they would make it to the England squad so we would "do" once it became a possibility to play for England they where gone,

MON had Rice in squads & tried his hardest to get Jack to play it wasn't to be move on ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

That’s it in a nutshell really. And is the case for most of the “English” lads that played for us I’d say. You can’t tell me the likes of Andy Townsend wouldn’t have done the same in a heartbeat. Kevin Kilbane is the only exception I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If you think about it if the rules were like how they were now back in Charlton’s time - how many would have switched back to England / Scotland etc if given the chance?

Plus many people seem to forget that ROI ‘stole’ plenty of NI players over the years.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Grealish was talented at underage level and good enough for England at that level but we were willing to push him up the age groups early. Was 17 playing with our U21s whereas at England he would've had to work his way up the age groups.

Rice was a different story as he came into us a year after being released by Chelsea and was never on the radar for England's underage teams when he joined up with us.

Good to see Idah and Omobamidele are both fit and available for Norwich tomorrow vs Swansea. Though Idah will likely see minimal minutes as they ease him back in given his fitness issues and now being labelled a joint-compromised athlete by their medical staff.

at least Idah will be like Paul McGrath in one (or two) ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I can see Connolly back at Shelbourne in LOI or somewhere soon enough.

Lad just ain't going cut it.

Chiedozie with his sixth league goal of the season.

See an article this morning that the FAI are finalising a ten year master plan and hoping to get €1B to improve facilities from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement