Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

4kWh today on the nose, from 8kWp south east array

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

7.2kwh today from 4kwp SEish in South Meath.

27kwh so far this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

I checked my NW for the craic. 300w today from 1.2kWp :)

Did 30kWh in Oct, 15 in Nov, and will drop more this month of course. It's good to end of Sept at least. So NW is grand if you've filled everywhere else. Gives a small 'boost' in the evenings in summer when we're cooking dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

20.4 kWh from my 6.1 kWp system here in Cork, facing directly south. Small bit of fog and mist in the morning but once that burnt off I was cooking.

Ramped up the underfloor heating around the house to put some heat into the slabs to get ready for tonight, so used 75% of it today which is good for me.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

Jay's, that's some return this time of year, what slope are the panels on?

Only got 5.4kWh today off 6.9 kW system @35° facing south in Roscommon, no major sun today.

Sunny day yesterday and still only got 13.1kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

9kW off a 5.85kW array here in Dublin, SW facing.

Jealous of your 20.4kW down in Cork, @ECO_Mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 LWheeler

Just had a new system installed (Louth) - total 4.7 kWh East / West split and am only getting on average around 1.5 kWh per day... Would love to be getting some of the figures yourselves are mentioning !!....

Is there any way of telling if things are working as they should be ?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭con747

You should be able to check both strings via the app depending on which inverter you have. If it's a Solis Inverter open the app and press your plant name then press device then press inverter and it's all there with other data.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Yeah just check if anything coming through on your app or inverter for each string.. for West/north west it's going to be very low as the sun sets before it gets around to shine on the panels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

20.1kwh from 6.9kwp south facing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I am about 40 degs to the vertical so they are steep enough to take advantage of the winter sun. It was a cloudless sky all day apart form a bit of mist in the morning. I am also literally facing south and was set out by the surveyor to be exactly facing south so that might help also.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Thanks Micks_address and con747 for your responses. I can see generation from both strings, but am not sure if there is a means of being able to determine if all panels are working as they should be... Are yourselves aware of a means of determining this ?

Could you post here a screenshot showing your DC voltage and current during today for the two strings?

Also which are the panels? Made, model, etc

Hope you don't have the same issue which I had when mine was installed. They only connected 3 out of the 10 panels by mistake :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

If it's any consolation, @LWheeler, I've been getting under 3kW this month so far...

I think people post here when they get a great result, like today - but your area may have been cloudier than the rest of us.

So I wouldn't read too much from that, unless of course you were basking in sunshine today!

@Galego - Please find below a screenshot of the panels performance along with inverter data.. I hope this is what you were asking for (still learning my way around this)...

I believe that the panels are JA Solar 395w - but do not have the model number... Please note that there are 5 panels on the East and 7 on the West.

thanks everyone for the help !

@simpsimp - Thanks for the comment. I guess that, as the system has only been installed (at probably the worst time of year for solar production), I am keen to understand if everything is working as it should be - as it seems to be performing a bit lower than expectations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭con747

All looks ok to me. Just bad time of year, it will get better before you know it!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Agreed I'm only getting max 2kw from my 4kw south east panels.. figure won't get peak production till sun is higher in the sky..only have panels a month yet..

• Advertisement

@con747 & @micks_address - thanks for taking the time out to look at the output and confirming that all looks ok... Appreciate your help... Hopefully the spring / summer / autumn will make up for it !

Cheers

Voltage looks alright for the number of panels you have connected to each string. Nothing particularly obviously wrong which I can see on that data.

1- where are you based? How was the weather like for you throughout today?

2- Any shading in either side? Any optimasers fitted?

In your first string, the current seems a bit more up and down few times like affected by clouds or shading. Second string, current seems more "solid". Maybe weather got better in the afternoon?

Most than likely your system is working as it should. E/W systems don't do well (compared to South ones) in the winter even in cloudless days. Things will change in March. :-)

@Galego - thanks for checking over the data. I am based in Drogheda. Today the weather was ok - some direct sun around midday (which we can see in PPV2 string), but clouds came in a bit later in the afternoon. There are no optimisers installed... however I might check with the installer to see if these may be required, as there are some trees that could be impacting performance (due to the low sun in winter), and there is a chimney that might impact performance at some stage - however the shading from the chimney would have been taken into consideration during the design...

Thanks again for your time.

Don't overthink it too much. All seems ok in your side. Wait till May/June to reassess things in regards to optimasers or poor performance.

Enter your numbers in the below link and use the expected outcome as a guidance for your system. It doesn't need to match 100% but it is a decent starting point.

- https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html -

And don't mind the outputs others produce :-)

@Galego - unfortunately I do have a tendency to overthink things - especially if it is new to me - so it has been great to get some feedback from yourselves who are more experienced and knowledgeable in this area, so that I can relax (just a little bit) 😉

Will definitely check out the link provided to see what it estimates - thanks for passing on.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭rameire

7.1 from a 3.8 system in Clonee, its nice to see the sun on a cold day doing its work.

Looking like it is to be sunny tomorrow.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Right now it's as close to rock bottom as it gets. Yes, the shortest day is Dec21st, but the amount of daylight behaves as a sine wave and we're pretty much at the bottom for all intents and purposes.

Basically only 12 minutes difference in daylight between today and Dec 21st.

Wierd little known fact - the earliest sunset isn't Dec21 it's actually around Dec 15th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Your system is fine LWheeler. I actually have a slightly bigger system (5.3Kwp also split east/west) and here's my generation for Dec so far.

East/West splits are pretty bad this time of year. The reason is that the sun doesn't really rise in the east (more like South east) and then sets south west, so our panels on the roof are always "edge on" to the sun.

Once end of Feb (you mark my words!) you'll start to see some serious production coming online. The sun will hit our panels more directly and it's higher in the sky for longer.

All things considered, E/W splits while they don't generate as much as due south facing panels, they are actually IMHO the best layout to have. In fact many of the fixed industrial sized solar farms install E/W splits as they tend to have a more balanced generation curve during the day for longer rather than the big spike at solar noon (about 1:20pm in Ireland in the summer)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

10.4kWh from a South facing 4.8kWp system today in Fingal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭silver_sky

@LWheeler I'm a bit south of you in Balbriggan. Most days recently have been in or around 1.5kWh on my 4.46kWp south west facing system. It's all on the same aspect and pretty steep at 41 degrees.

I managed 7.2kWh yesterday. You can see where that cloud you mentioned rolled in, before that it was cracking.

Advertisement