Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid propane bottle for heater question

• 07-12-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I purchased a greenhouse heater the other day that runs on gas. It is the first time I have ever used a gas bottle so don't have a clue. I asked my husband to pick up a bottle of propane and he came home with a 34kg bottle of propane. So I connected it all up went to try and light it and nothing. The pilot flame will not light.

So here comes the stupid question. I went back to the instruction manual and it said to use either 13,19 or 47kg gas bottle. Does it make a difference that mine is 37kg? I figured gas is gas but maybe I am wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

I purchased a greenhouse heater the other day that runs on gas. It is the first time I have ever used a gas bottle so don't have a clue. I asked my husband to pick up a bottle of propane and he came home with a 34kg bottle of propane. So I connected it all up went to try and light it and nothing. The pilot flame will not light.

So here comes the stupid question. I went back to the instruction manual and it said to use either 13,19 or 47kg gas bottle. Does it make a difference that mine is 37kg? I figured gas is gas but maybe I am wrong?
    did you open the valve on the propane tank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

And mix up some fairy liquid and water in a spray bottle to spray and any joints you may have connected if it bubbles up the joint is leaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

And mix up some fairy liquid and water in a spray bottle to spray and any joints you may have connected if it bubbles up the joint is leaking
    that's a good tip
    also, you should be able to smell gas and probably hear it if there's any flowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

. Does it make a difference that mine is 37kg? I figured gas is gas but maybe I am wrong?

Is it a red colour 34 kg bottle? If so, it should be compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

Thanks for all the replies, it is the red bottle. Yeah I opened the valve at the top. I got the pilot flame to light once but it went out and I can't get it to light again. Should I be able to smell gas from the heater when I am depressing the control valve button? In trouble shooting it said to try it with a match but even that won't work which makes me think I have a gas issue? I'll try the fairy liquid thing and see if there any leaks. It's driving me mad.

• Advertisement

Ok I checked and there are no leaks. I am officially stumped as to why it won't do anything. Should have gone electric!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

On some of them heaters their is 3 buttons one turns on a fan one lets gas in and the other one lights the gas that's the way my propane heater works so turn on fan press button until you hear gas flowing then light up what make and model is it. Jesus be careful with gas if you let loads of gas into the area your in and it lights up your going to get a fair old shock. Also where you connected the gas pipe to the tank their should be a regulator sometimes they have a valve that you can screw out. On your heater did you have to connect the orange pipe to the heater if so did you take out the small black dust cap before connecting the pipe. All your joints should have gas reated PTFE tape put on them it's the one on the yellow roll. And put a good bit of fairy liquid in the water bottle. If you still haven't got it fired up get someone to have a look at it or bring it back to the shop and get them to light it up, it might just have a fault and your going to be all day messing with it

Thanks for the thorough reply. I've followed the instructions for starting it but it just isn't working. There didn't appear to be a dust cap on the pipe, not that I noticed anyway but I will check in case it's wedged in there somewhere. There is no screw on the regulator. I bought it online from calor so I will get in touch with them Monday and see if they have a solution, if not I will send it back. I don't really know anyone that knows anything about gas heaters to take a look at it for me.

Ok, mystery over. I remembered we have patio gas and a regulator from the bbq so tried that and it worked straight away so it looks like it was a problem with the gas bottle. What that problem is I have no idea but yeah it's not a faulty heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭slystallone

Is it ok to transport those 34kg bottles by car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, as long as it's secured and not rolling around.

I also have an empty one in house I just moved into. Is it just a case of hand that back to supplier when getting the new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yes. They cost a lot more if you don't have an empty one to hand in.

Not your ornery onager

and its ok to transport the empty one as well by car as long as it's secure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Advertisement