Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When you tot up those numbers ... yikes. 2 billion before money's made; Hollywood has gone truly insane. Of course, the other factor is films running for months & months, slowly accumulating, is relatively rare these days; the window to make these Megabucks has shortened IMO bar the occasional Top Gun Maverick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

only a fool would bet against JC but that trailer looks super boring, even if the the 3D effects are amazing, we saw it all before in the first film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's actually the Na'vi themselves I find hard to get over. In a film that looks like it has some of the most impeccable CG scenery and waterscapes, those lanky blue folk still stand out as rater cartoonish despite the obviously great care that has gone into crafting them.

As for the film's chances of success, well it does have every chance as it seems to be getting a saturation release. There's not a single film I'd personally class as a 'blockbuster' competitor released between December 1st and early to mid February. Plenty of great indie films and awards-season fare, of course, but Avatar is out there on its own grabbing the 'premium' multiplex screens for at least a month or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't bet against Cameron; but I also wouldn't bet for him either. Precisely because this feels like a litmus test for his powers as they exist in modern blockbuster cinema. Time was he alone could define what blockbusters were by upping the ante, and his peerless craft; this has always looked like more of the same, now swamped by ... well, the MCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I heard it needs to be the third highest grossing film to breakeven? You'd kind of hope they get a financial kicking.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I don't know, I think this is going to make a metric tonne of money. I can see this making 2.5 Billion. If he does it right, he will have a whole new generation of audience. For all the spectacle, Titanic and Avatar had paper-thin and predictable "storylines" But Titanic especially appealed to the teenage audience given its romance plotline and DiCaprio, Winslett etc. It looks like they are going to lean into a bit of teenage romance. So potentially you could have a HUGE teenage audience, Kids who may not have gone to the cinema for years. Looking for something not on their phones.

I know I sounds like an old fart ('cos I am), but I think you could have a large amount of people looking for a big blockbuster that is NOT as Superhero movie. Another group of people who just want to see a James Cameron film on screen again. And potentially a large teenage audience (Pending decent work of mouth).

I think the animation looks amazing. Any "floatiness" I put down to different environment and the fact that they are not human. As opposed to some "uncanny valley" disconnect. The facial animations in the original are still amazing (The fact that the characters are not human does help and will help here).

So I'm not saying it will be a great movie. Avatar itself was not a great movie but it was certainly a spectacle and needed to be seen on the biggest screen you could find. There is no doubt it changed how movies are made: From convincing digital environments (Some of the internal shots do look a bit ropey) to Weta's amazing facial animation. Expanding on their awesome work with Golumn.

So, I think it will be a pretty paper-thin. Not so much "Dances With Aliens" that the first one was but more of a "Romeo and Bluey-ette" with some (well crafted) action sequences (Say what you want about Cameron, he knows how to construct a coherent action sequence). But I suspect it will be HUGELY popular.

I certainly hope so. If only to shake things up a bit and to introduce a new generation to James Cameron action "Hey, did you see that real old movie Terminator 2?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I really don't think a movie of this size is going to be mega blockbuster it would traditionally have been.

Interest in this film is at best, average.

The viewing audience has changed hugely over the last 10 years and the appetite for seeing movies on the big screen as a must-see event, has waned greatly.

I hope it succeeds on story telling/animation front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭santana75

Went to book tickets there and noticed the run time: 3hrs 13mins!!!

It's been given a China release which is something many Hollywood Blockbusters have failed to do over the last 2 years.

However with enforced Covid lock downs in China, it may not prove to be the boost a China release would traditionally bring to a movie of this size

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Is there a list of what cinemas are showing this in HFR 3D?

Movies@Dundrum are showing it in that format but I don't see anything on Cineworld or Odeon websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Is Avatar 2 going to be in 3D ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

absolutely no interest in this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The summary I saw was, looks great, thinner plot than the first, drags in the middle, 3rd Act is great

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

These are gonna be the most divisive yet I feel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

3 hours 13 minutes is ludicrous .

No need for any film to be that length especially something like this, its not plot heavy.

Cameron thinks 3D is on a par with Colour in the advancement of film technology.

But I'd say 3D is more comparable to surround sound.

In some films 3D and surround sound can totally immersive you in the environment but in other films they are just not needed at all like in a court room drama.

Post edited by Big Gerry on

I have never watched a film over 2 and a half hours that I liked.

I think 2 and a half hours is the max length any film should be before you start to get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Depends on the person. For me, if the film is good enough, it doesn't matter how long it is. Films like Lawrence of Arabia, Godfather 2, LoTRs, The Wolf of Wall Street - all long, excellent films.

• Advertisement

The Dark Knight Rises felt like a very long film to me even though it was only about 15mins longer than the Dark Knight which is a film I absolutely loved.

Another thing I noticed about long films is that many of them could easily be trimmed down by 30 mins without having any impact on the story.

The last James Bond film is a good example of a film that is way too long.

Can anyone really justify the long running time of No Time To Die ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Must have watched schindler's list about 6 times over the years, not once did it feel long. clocks in over 3 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have never before seen a trailer for a film and thought I DEFINITELY don't ever want to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Chris Stuckman review is out, as expected great visuals with clunky story line.

wowee empire giving it 5 out of 5

pretty sure they hosted james cameron for the london premier last week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

In other words, they know good **** when they see it....

🙃

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cameron says that The Abyss is coming to 4k Blu-ray by March 2023 at the latest. lol, nice try Jimbo! As anyone who has been following The Abyss Blu-ray saga knows, he has been claiming stuff like this for years. There's multiple articles going back to 2016 at least in which he said he was working on it now and it would be out in a few months.

• Advertisement

the thing is i remember going to see avatar imax 3D and thinking wow this is a 5 star movie and then i saw it on tv and was .....ah ok

Advertisement