Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaysus One eye you really are showing your lack of knowledge again.

You should go for a hat trick you are on a roll.

Our meat industry is owned and run by some very greedy and questionable people.

I wouldn't ever see anything they do as other than self serving.

Some of them would throw human meat into the burgers if they thought they could get away with it and it made them a few quid more.

I am not allowed discuss …

What we're saying is that, given the problems with housing and accommodation that need to be solved, let's not add to the problem with open-door immigration. You deny that hundreds of thousands of extra people in a country makes no difference. I strongly disagree.

You strongly disagree means nothing. Throw up some actual evidence to support your argument and we’ll see just how much immigrants are having an impact on existing problems then and whether or not they’re actually adding to the problems which already exist, or whether they’re being used to alleviate existing problems and improving quality of life for Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Easy the Un ones are unenforceable for one. russia is still in the UN. On Ukraine I have read the legislation there is an out as always. It says in solidarity with members and not to the detriment to the population basically. We have gone past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Tbh, I dont even think Europe should be forced to accept legitimate asylum seekers...

The Manchester bombing was undertaken by a Lybian asylum seeker. 20 kids dead...

Seemingly his mum got asylum and then went back to Libya to live... she still claimed her benefits from the UK though.

• Advertisement

Sure I know all that, my brother is a manager in a meat factory, and he would definitely fit your description 😂

My point though, is that from the agricultural industry, to the horticultural industry, to the services industry (including providing early childcare) to the financial and IT sectors, to the healthcare and care industries (including providing care for the elderly) - immigrants are a source of cheap labour, without which, Irish people wouldn’t have the far superior quality of life that they do.

Of course Ireland has transformed in the last 20 years, and that has both it’s good and bad points, but simply blaming immigration and suggesting that we should stop or slow down immigration or try and put in place even stricter controls on immigration, means giving up the quality of life that most Irish people know full well they have benefited from and are benefiting from.

You think I’m not bloody aware of how Ireland has changed in just the last 20 years alone, of course I am, or how difficult it is to get rental accommodation in Ireland that isn’t extortionate? Of course I am, or how everything like even childcare is so expensive if parents are working? Yep, course I am. Irish people love to complain about how much everything costs and how the cost of everything is going up. It does make me wonder do those people actually realise the value of anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Actually the Green Party want to both slow economic growth and increase immigration ( all while reducing emmisions)

square that circle

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

"i'd probably have more in common with a somalian that a beef farmer from mayo anyway :D"

How can you reason with someone who could make such an absurd statement. Its a cult!

Liberalism is a religion. Its tenets cannot be proved, its capacity for waste and destruction demonstrated. But it affords a feeling of spiritual rectitude at little or no cost. David Mamet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yeah don't take it too literally, i was just making the point that some of us urbane city slicker cultured types couldn't care less where our neighbours were from.

liberalism is a religion? what do you mean when you say liberalism?

I’d say from who they quoted, the poster doesn’t even know what liberal means. It’s nothing more than the author taking a spiteful dig at the people who rejected his ideas. Manet was a card-carrying lefty-liberal sort until he was told to fcuk off by the people who he imagined should be in thrall to him for his intellect 😂

• Advertisement

Eskimo while you’re gathering your evidence to support your argument that immigration is adding to existing problems, I figured it might be better to get who’s responsible for overcrowding in accommodation out of the way now before you hold immigrants responsible for adding to that problem too.

Here’s an example of one greedy bastard who sought to capitalise on their investment in just this year alone -

Nash calls for action on overcrowding laws after landlord attempts to rent family home to 22 tenants

The now-deleted advert on daft.ie sought €500 per month for a shared bedroom and €600 per month for a double room. 

Critics of the landlord claimed that full occupancy would equate to a rental income of €11,600 a month or €139,000 per annum for a property, which was bought for €275,000 earlier this year.

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/lmfm-news/nash-calls-for-action-on-overcrowding-laws-after-landlord-attempts-to-rent-family-home-to-22-tenants/

And the issue of overcrowding in rental accommodation wasn’t just highlighted by Prime Time in 2020 -

Crowded house: 11 people crammed into one apartment during Covid-19

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2020/1203/1182221-accommodating-covid-overcrowded-accommodation-dublin/

It was highlighted in 2018 too -

RTÉ Investigates - Nightmare to Let

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2017/1107/918221-rte-investigates-nightmare-to-let/

And in 2017 -

However, some properties are not registered with the authorities and so are highly unlikely to be inspected.

Among them was a property located on Old County Road in Crumlin in Dublin in which an RTÉ undercover researcher rented a bed at €250 per month.

The multi-occupancy property housed 40 tenants across ten bedrooms.

The building did not have a properly maintained fire detection system or properly maintained firefighting equipment.

During RTÉ's investigation, building work also began on an extension at the rear of the premises. It housed 24 additional people, bringing the total number of tenants in the building to 64.

The RTÉ Investigations Unit established that the person at the centre of the rental operation at 12-14 Old County Road was Andrew O'Neill.

Mr O'Neill owns at least five rental properties generating him a potential gross income of more than €26,000 per month.

RTÉ's undercover researcher reported concerns to Dublin City Council in relation to the Crumlin property four times before a report was passed to Dublin Fire Brigade in September.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1102/916956-rental-accommodation/

Government have been promising specific legislation to deal with the issue for years, but so far, well you don’t win any prizes for guessing how that’s going 😒

Immigrants aren’t taking up any extra space, or accommodation. They are simply, like many Irish people, being packed more tightly into the same amount of space.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

Question:

how many of those immigrants working in financial, IT, healthcare, hell even a lot of the service industries turned up at Dublin airport without a passport or means of identification ?

hell how many in the agri sector turned up with no identification ?

Why oh why do people put a doctor, engineer, nurse with qualifications and valid visa in the same category as some dude that rocked up in Dublin airport with nare a document to his name or some dude that fell out of truck in Rosslare?

Do people really just want to mask the fact that these so called asylum seekers/refugees/undocumented actually offer nothing, bring nothing to the party but actually cost the state huge amounts of money?

But if they are thrown in with all the real working legal immigrants then hey presto the waste that they are doesn't look so bad and is hidden from view.

Speaking of people hidden from view, there is no way of knowing how many illegal immigrants are here and working in the various sectors you mentioned. Estimates put it at about 20,000, and because they’re illegal, they don’t qualify for any support from the State, so they’re not costing the State anything, but they’re making enormous profits for the people they work for, and they’re not protected by Irish employment laws either.

However, I didn’t put them in the same category as immigrants who are here legally, who are entitled to support from the State, are entitled to work and employment protections and so on. Whether they’re a doctor, engineer or a nurse is irrelevant as far as some people are concerned, they have an incredible ability to determine anyone’s legal status just by looking at them, apparently 😒

So it’s just not true to state that illegal immigrants bring nothing to the party and cost the State huge amounts of money, or to suggest that they’re a waste, when they’re actually contributing to the Irish economy and getting nothing from the State in return, because they don’t qualify for anything by virtue of their being here illegally.

hang on a minute you are shifting the goal posts.

You mentioned those working in financial, IT and healthcare.

The latter one being majority public owned.

I don't know where you are getting your info, but I have found little to no illegals working in some of those areas.

They may work in agri and service industries where it is often easier to work for cash, but not in most others.

I don't know where you are getting your info, but I have found little to no illegals working in some of those areas.

Has it occurred to you to ask yourself why you have found no illegal immigrants working in the healthcare sector? Come on j, use your noggin and think about that for a minute 😂

Nobody’s shifting the goalposts, their employers can’t find them either… until they do 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I do hope that is a parody account . Although with the novels they write it would be an elaborate attempt at trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

A parody? lol, they are regularly destroying any arguments put forth. I don't think I've seen them lose a debate here.

No the rest of us just give up arguing with them because we can't be ars*d trudging through reams of often not relevant facts and stories.

But of course you are probably surprised that anyone with a differing viewpoint to you can actually read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

I just see people getting their points countered with factual evidence which is usually always supported with links. There is usually always solid evidence supporting their points which is great to read. It's hard to argue when the facts are provided that are destroying your argument. I think that poster is certainly one of the best in terms of providing quality posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

Apart from the fact it was fugees fighting with fugees, young single men, exactly the thing that concerns people

• Advertisement

Hang on a minute.

Are you actually lauding a poster as some kind of Alpha debater who earlier today claimed there wasn't a major accommodation crisis in Dublin at the moment.

And then went on to claim adding massive number of immigrants (refugees, asylum seekers and legitimate immigrants) to accommodation demand had no bearing on Irish people being able to get accomodation.

Man if you think that is quality posting it explains a lot.

There isn’t a major accommodation crisis in Dublin. Of the 1.5 million people who live in Dublin, there are less than 100 people sleeping rough, and they don’t want to avail of sheltered accommodation because of the drug use and their belongings being stolen.

You posted earlier about how posters are lumping all immigrants into one as though illegal immigrants are the same as legal immigrants, and yet you’re now doing the same thing yourself above. You claim the issue isn’t with immigrants who come here legally, so which is it? Do you want them treated separately or not?

As for the number of immigrants to accommodation demand, I’ve already provided evidence that it isn’t immigrants are putting demands on accommodation - the accommodation hasn’t changed, the number of people being squeezed into accommodation has!

That’s not affecting Irish people getting accommodation, who struggled to get and maintain accommodation anyway that they weren’t paying for and can’t afford to pay the mortgage which increases the amount banks have to charge for lending money to other Irish people who want to purchase properties. That’s notwithstanding the landlords who, if they aren’t charging extortionate rent and packing them in, are getting out of the property game because of over-regulation meaning they aren’t making the profits they used to, which means less rental properties on the market- can’t hold immigrants responsible for that.

Then we come to your claims about illegal immigrants, and you asked how many there are, and there isn’t a clear answer to that question because they’re illegal, they don’t exist on paper, but estimates put the number at about 20,000, and they’re not costing the State anything, because they can’t claim for anything, and those that are working, you claimed you don’t know of that many in healthcare, and there’s a good reason for that - because they’re illegal, they don’t exist!

They’re not going to broadcast the fact that they’re either overstaying their visas, or they have fraudulent identity documents, fraudulent work histories, or fraudulent qualifications; none of which you would be able to tell just by looking at anyone, unless you possess the extraordinary mental abilities of an earlier poster who could tell just by looking at someone that they were non-European. Illegal immigrants tend to be involved in shady shìt like this -

The operation was carried out alongside the Department of Social Protection and the Workplace Relations Commission.

"In the course of the operation, a significant number of persons working at the premises were identified as being illegally present in the State and working in breach of the Employment Permits Act on the basis of fraudulent documentation,” a garda statement read.

“All persons present were interviewed and a number of fraudulent documents were seized, along with personnel files and mobile phones.

“From intelligence obtained during the operation, a subsequent follow-up search was carried out at a nearby private residence. A number of items were seized including fraudulent European ID documents and electronic devices,” it added.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-target-south-american-gang-after-raid-finds-significant-number-of-illegal-immigrants-working-in-meath-factory-41742640.html

I posted earlier in the thread about the chap who I worked with a few years back who was fired one week, and was back in the job a few weeks later under a different name, his passport was indistinguishable from the real thing to the naked eye! You and a few other posters appear to be under the impression that immigrants are coming here for the €200 a week on the dole, and they’re not, and certainly illegal immigrants aren’t coming here for it because they don’t qualify for it in any case, and they’re living ten to a room while you’re obsessing over Irish people being unable to afford to purchase and have a whole house to themselves, while blaming immigrants for them being unable to do so!

When presented with evidence that you have no evidence, and the evidence available just doesn’t support your argument, you dismiss it out of hand and it’s too long for you to read, but earlier in the thread you were calling for the need for Irish people to rise up and revolt! Your only option really is to join the people who ARE protesting, but you don’t want to do that because they’re all smelly lefty trust fund babies with third level educations, and they don’t share your opinions of blaming immigrants for all the ills of Ireland either. You don’t want to associate with freeloading leeches either who are draining the taxpayers resources, AND you don’t want to associate with the elites who are screwing over the taxpayers!

If you’re hoping to start a revolution, you’re pretty much on your own, having excluded everyone else from joining your gang of pureblood native Irish merrymen 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

"There isn’t a major accommodation crisis in Dublin. Of the 1.5 million people who live in Dublin, there are less than 100 people sleeping rough, and they don’t want to avail of sheltered accommodation because of the drug use and their belongings being stolen"

There isn't an accomodation crisis in Dublin? Surely this is pure trolling? I've been warned for trolling and lots of people have been thread banned. How can someone repeatedly tell lies like this and not get banned?

There is a thread about a housing crisis that does not exist apparently.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nail on the head. It’s scummy behaviour of the highest order yet some here seem to think it’s perfectly fine to scream and shout at vulnerable families like we saw in Fermoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes I doubt there are many people who don't want to see some kind of plan to deal with the numbers and put limitations on it but when I see people screaming at migrants in places like East Wall I lose any sympathy for their protest. Plus the WEF Great Replacement signs and Irish Lives Matter posters there aren't a great look either. Surely we're better than that.

How can someone repeatedly tell lies like this and not get banned?

How many fingers am I holding up?

In case you don’t get the reference, you’re trying to have me say something I know to be untrue. You’re demanding capitulation to your ideas without justification, without question. You can’t will something into being by demanding everyone must believe it to be true. Think of your Emperors new clothes story and you’ll get the idea.

There’s whole forums about God, do you really want to go there?

I don’t either.

Government ministers have agreed there is a housing crisis. Not one sane person in the country has suggested otherwise. Well I know of one sector NGO's And not the homeless ones.

If the Irish population increased by 700,000, it would impact accommodation, GP appointments, school places etc. Everyone can see that.

It's an obvious reality of demand and supply.

Replace Irish people with immigrants, and apparently there is no problem at all.

I'm finding it hard to believe that poster sincerely means what he is saying. He cannot possibly believe this arrant nonsense.

• Advertisement

If Government says it, it must be true… is that really the argument you’re going with?

That’s leaving aside your ‘no sane person would disagree with me’ fallacy.

NGOs are fully on-board with promoting the idea of a ‘housing crisis’, there are over 500 approved housing bodies are dependent upon Government funding, and the more they can convince people that there is a housing crisis, the more funding they get to put themselves forward as the solution to the problem they need people to believe exists!

Simply putting the word ‘crisis’ after an issue doesn’t explain the extent of the issue, it’s like food crisis, energy crisis, inflation crisis, education crisis, crisis crisis… ok I made that last one up, but so are the rest of them. The point is that they are terms designed with the intent of raising public awareness and anxiety about an imminent danger. In reality, this is how a person is defined as homeless for the purposes of the Housing Act -

A person shall be regarded by a housing authority as being homeless for the purposes of this Act if—

(a) there is no accommodation available which, in the opinion of the authority, he, together with any other person who normally resides with him or who might reasonably be expected to reside with him, can reasonably occupy or remain in occupation of, or

(b) he is living in a hospital, county home, night shelter or other such institution, and is so living because he has no accommodation of the kind referred to in paragraph (a),

and he is, in the opinion of the authority, unable to provide accommodation from his own resources.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/act/28/section/2/enacted/en/html#sec2

I discovered last night that Hunky Dorys aren’t the same value as they once were, Tayto appear to have halved the amount of crisps in the bag from when I remember, while keeping the bag the same size. Some people might think that’s a crisis (they have little to be worried about). I simply emptied one bag into another and then I had one bag that contained the same amount of crisps I remembered.

Same thing is happening with people claiming there’s a housing crisis because they can’t afford to rent a place to themselves. Whereas years ago people were squeezing in on top of each other in bedsits and they made do, because that was all they could afford, it appears nowadays that people want a standard of living they can’t afford, and are complaining about a crisis when reality doesn’t match their expectations.

Advertisement