Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ok im out lads. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The more severe cold of this current spell has not arrived yet, the leading edge of it has recently moved through Scotland and is starting to show up in Northern Ireland now. So I would hold fire until we see the temperatures especially overnight lows next 4-5 days. This is not going to rival Dec 2010 for cold or snow but it may be the coldest December spell since then.

At Portglenone (north end of Lough Neagh) I note that temps fell from 3 C to 1 C around two hours ago as this front passed, and temps in most of NI are now between 0 and 1 C. So there's a good potential here for sleet and snow to develop as this feature continues to move south overnight. Even small amounts of this can render driving hazardous, in fact small amounts may be the most dangerous since some motorists will expect normal traction and encounter black ice. The areas most at risk are probably the midlands and inland north to central Leinster. If it becomes clear ahead of this front in the inland south and then clouds over, that could also lead to black ice formation. Best chance of seeing the Mars-Moon event already mentioned by spookwoman earlier in thread would be inland south and southwest. As mentioned, timing of disappearance of Mars is around 0455h and reappearance around 0555h. Moon would be fairly high still at that hour in western portion of sky on its way to setting in northwest. This is an unusual occultation in that the moon is full and Mars is at opposition so it's a perfect alignment of four members of the solar system. (all occultations are by definition an alignment of three but not often the Sun as well). Hoping to see it here during the evening but rather cloudy at present (local time here being 3 p.m., because of the difference in perspective, we would see this at 03z to 04z or two hours earlier in universal time).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Forecast frontal chart for this coming Sunday. Looks like something out of the mid 1980s.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I disagree. Three or fours days of temperatures struggling to get above zero or staying just below on some days is quite unusual for December. So it's understandable there is a thread about it. Also given the potential dangers of freezing fog and black ice it's right that Met Éireann have issued a warning about it to the public. Either way you slice it is an event worthy of discussion. The November mild was unusual but there was no dangers associated with it hence no real media coverage. Also milder weather does not generate the same interest as its rather obviously not a infrequent occurrence here, hence why there was no dedicated thread for the November mild, but I am sure it was commented on by a few posters here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Hi Res models still picking up snow chance in the East Thurs evening. Converging winds along the coast, bit of CAPE , big lapse rates possibly leading to big heavy showers some moving inland or along the coast, possibly support by topographical lift from the Wicklow Mts, could have hail and wouldn't rule out the chance of lightning.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

-2.3C here near Tralee about 2km from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

0.9c here in Waterford, humidity seems to be on the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

How often do we get ice days, where it stays below freezing for 24 hours? Last one I can remember is 2018 and obviously 2010, was there any others between in those 8 years ?

An indication of wintry precipitation making its way inland in Northern counties, may be sleet or snow falling further inland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

-2.4c here in Carrick on Shannon, the showers are coming further inland but even a flurrie here will do

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Just in case you forget, RTE is here to help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Still reading as 0.9c here in waterford with a heavy frost on the cars. Crystal clear for the mars occultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

2.2C out there now in North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

-1 in south kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

100% chance of snow between 6 and 7 according to the smart phone…. Unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

A few spits of 'freezing' rain here in Offaly just starting. I can still see the moon and it's -2.1. Roads will be fun in a while. But unfortunately the 'warm' sector aloft is keeping snow away for us for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sleet here in Kildare with flakes falling

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Light covering of snow here in Blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Light rain falling in Tullamore.

There was a frost and some freezing fog earlier.

Temp around 1c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭slay55

…()

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Wicklow could see some decent snow this evening for a brief period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I was out at my walk in Naas at 6am and there was sleet. There were big fluffy snowflakes mixed in which could only be seen in the streetlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Surprised temp hasn't dropped below zero overnight.

Currently 0.4, low 0.2

No frost on car

I won't have to break ice on the rain barrel to have a wash this morning 😀

N Tipp

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

1.5C Galway.

There was ice on the car alright.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭914

There's a real feel of "snow" in Waterford this morning. Beautifully cold, frost covering.

Not sure if we have a very light frost but the colour of sky would indicate if we were expecting participation you would be expecting snow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Freezing fog and temperatures down to -2 after a low of -3.1 overnight in South Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

0 degrees and raining in Tullamore. Just looks miserable. Had the drone charged and ready to capture a misty frosty morning. Maybe tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Frosty in my estate overlooking Wicklow Bay. Stunning morning! I don’t care if it snows but by god I will take the crisp sunny freezing days over the rain. Now I have to go to work in a baltic warehouse which always seems colder inside than out! Have many many layers on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I love a bit of cold crisp weather, but I’d love it more for Christmas Day than right now. Anyways I’ll take what we’re given, and I’m hopeful for a dusting of snow as we do get that every year for the kids, so fingers crossed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement