Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Mick Wallace and Clare Daly Irelands greatest shame?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I know. The utter naivete (if they really believe what they are saying) from some is astonishing.

They don't know, or want to hide, the fact that Russia already signed a treaty with Ukraine guaranteeing its territorial integrity in return for renouncing nuclear weapons.

The word of Russia is worth zero.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I never understand the "Russian red line" argument. Russia doesn't get to dictate what Ukraine is allowed to do. And to use that red line as an excuse to invade and murder thousands of people is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Wallace now criticising the....[checks notes]....Iranian protesters!

Speaking in the European Parliament, Mr Wallace told the debate there had been “violence and murders by some protesters, untold damage and destruction”.

“It would not be tolerated anywhere,” the MEP told the chamber.

He said there had been a “campaign of propaganda and destabilisation” against Iran, echoing the regime’s view that the protests are engineered by its enemies to cause regime change.

“Iran is under attack,” Mr Wallace said. “The media assault is intense.”

This is got to be right up there with the very worst of his takes.

source

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He also attempted to distract and deflect from the discussion about Qatar abuses in the context of the soccerball World Cup by kicking off shouting that the US should not be allowed to host the next one due to them suppressing all human rights over there (or some such sh1te).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Unfortunately, the major powers do get to decide what their weaker neighbours are allowed to do, and Russia is not the only one to make this sort of demand.

For instance, the US has a military base and concentration camp in Cuba - do you think they care what the Cubans think about it? The US took over a group of islands in the middle of the Indian ocean and turfed the inhabitants out (Diego Garcia). The US still has a bunch of military bases in Germany 75 years after the end of WWII.

Closer to home, the UK has installations in part of our country. They also have one in the south of Spain and a couple of them in Cyprus. Interestingly, when Turkey invaded Cyprus back in the day, The UK did not aid Cyprus - although they may have drawn a red line as to how far the Turks could advance.

We have never been publicly told we can't have Russian or Chinese bases in Ireland, but in the very unlikely scenario that Ireland did offer to host such a base - just what do you think our UK and US friends would do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Utterly shameless, craven contrarianism. At this point one has to seriously wonder what might be found, were some forensic accounting to be conducted on Mr Wallace's business interests and accounts.

I know the EU elections struggle to attract interest and footfall but I'd hope enough bad press percolated through to ensure these idiots are shown the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Closer to home, the UK has installations in part of our country.

Where in our country?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Germany could ask the US to vacate their bases in the morning - France did exactly that in the late 1960s and didn't become a pariah state or anything.

Gibraltar and Guantanamo are the result of international treaties from long ago, if countries should be able to just do what they like regardless of agreements or laws we're left with.... the attempted destruction of Ukraine among many other things we'd rather not happen.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

Or with the very ‘best’ of his takes. Life is difficult enough so don’t make it any way more difficult. I need a bit of ‘light’ entertainment now and again and Wallace and Co are up there with Joe Duffy

It'd be funny if it wasn't for the people dying. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've seen a few people tweeting about those comments basically saying that we, as an electorate, need to take European elections more seriously. I hope that if Wallace runs again in 2024 that these comments, in particular, are brought up in any debates. There are a minority of voters out there with a soft spot for Russia but I doubt that there is hardly anyone out there who support the Iranian regime.

France was an ally of the US, Germany wasn't. I clearly remember British jets screaming past about 50 feet above my head back in the day when I worked in Germany.

As for Gibraltar and Guantanamo, they both came about as a result of wars, and the victors took what they wanted. Cuba was not a belligerent, but officially a part of Spain, along with the Philipines and Puerto Rico, IIRC. The Americans in that case were the warmongers, they used an accident as their excuse to go to war.

So whatever about Gibraltar and the Wars of the Spanish Succession - isn't it just a little disingenuous to call the outcome of the Spanish American War an "international treaty"? I think the Chinese have a term for this sort of thing: unequal treaties. The Brits on the other hand called it Gunboat Diplomacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Vincent Browne's chickens coming home to roost. Hope he's embarrassed at the behaviour of his fledglings.

Total nonsense.

West Germany was a US ally before it joined NATO in 1955, the unified Germany is also.

Treaties between nations being an outcome of wars - who knew! 🙄

Whether a treaty is 'unequal' or not is a matter of opinion - but in the end it's military and economic power which determines whether treaties are renegotiated or not.

West Germany was a US ally, and East Germany was a USSR ally.

Neither of them had any choice in the matter though.

Yet Austria ended up neutral and unified, neither zone of occupation was forced to join an alliance.

West Germany saw it in its interest to join and stay in NATO, the example of France proved that they could have left at any time.

Anyway none of your whataboutery is at all relevant to the topic of this thread, Daly and Wallace's unwavering support for mass murderers provided they're anti-Western.

Wait a minute, you said Germany wasn't a US ally - you seem to be confusing even yourself with your spin.

An ally in the sense that "it was on the US team". Where it had to be, as it was a US vassal state. It has greater freedom to carry out an independent foreign policy today, owing to several factors, including the existence of the EU as a bloc of which a united Germany is the powerhouse, the disappearance of the USSR, and of course the relative decline in the strength of the USeconomy and the rise of China and the other BRICS.

Rubbish. Any state can leave NATO at any time. France ordered US bases out of its country but remained a US ally. You're just waffling trying (and failing) to fit history into some anti-US narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

With the election of President Lula in Brazil, Wallace and Daly are now less isolated politically.

Many Brazilians in Ireland support Lula.

Lula said Zelensky was "as responsible as Putin for the war".

He also said "it’s not just Putin who is guilty. The US and the EU are also guilty."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

I was going to let this slide but...................Lucinda Creighton was one of the most able and articulate TDs out there. She is badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

She wasn't missed when I said it in April and she isn't missed now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A South American political view on the war in Ukraine doesn't really hold much water for its relative geopolitical distance in the matter. Especially when his rationale is as painfully naive as he's quoted:

What was the reason for the Ukraine invasion? NATO? Then the U.S. and Europe should have said: “Ukraine won’t join NATO.” That would have solved the problem.

I guess Lula didn't read the literal essay by Putin arguing Ukraine was part of the Russian motherland.

There are a lot of Brazilians in Dublin, never mind Europe. Plenty in the US also. I'm not sure whether their population has the same appetite for emigrating to Russia. Anyone got any stats to prove me wrong?

What did she do though that caused shame? Genuine question.

My understanding is that she held views which were not really in line with the majority of the public and then resigned because she was being pressured not to uphold her own principles by her party

I'm not even getting into whether she is missed or not. Just asking about the "shame" aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

If there were well paying jobs a-plenty in Russia, and none here, they probably would.

Emigration doesn't have much to do with 'values' imo.

The important word you have said is if

The availability of well paying jobs is down to many factors. An important one being the political set-up there.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

You could say that about anyone including Wallace and Daly surely.

Have they resigned in order to stand up for their "principles"? I wasn't aware that they had

You don't have to agree with Creighton's beliefs but they would be legitimate beliefs held by some people.

Wallace and Daly's guff is incoherent and inconsistent.

You still haven't explained why you would associate her with the label "shame"

• Advertisement

She believed than infertile people had no right to get married.

"marriage is primarily about children, main purpose being to propagate and create"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement