Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoardsFM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I enjoy both these songs that are in number 3.

It was the John Lewis ad(The year when it got good) that got me into it first and then I fell for the other version for some reasons I love the music video.

The power of Love. Gabrielle Aplin and Frankie goes to Hollywood.

Yet another sort of weepie song at number two but this song just reminds of Christmas/Winter and it just makes me feel so cosy.

East 17 Stay Another Day.

Coming in at Number 1 it's a classic and It has to be the original it's simply perfect. I don't need to say anymore.

The Pogues and Fairytale of New York.

I do have some honorable mentions and I could go on but this is a great song for Driving home for Christmas be it from Shopping, Work, Abroad, Family, etc. Thanks for listening here on boardsfm.

It's Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea.

Happy Listening

From Freshpopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Brilliant. Well done @freshpopcorn

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yes, brilliant @freshpopcorn, really enjoyed that. Some great songs in there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Wow that was excellent @freshpopcorn come fantastic memories right there, great tunes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭A cup of te

Really enjoyed reading those posts. Really brought home memories to me too. Funny to see 2 become 1 in there. I was a child in 1996 and always get a memory of Christmas when i hear that and being in a poundshop in Dublin. Music is such an integral part of the whole spirit of Christmas for me (and life itself really). Going to play my Christmas CDs all the way to Waterford in the car now today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭A cup of te

Christmas FM is always great and introduced me to songs I wouldn't have even known :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Great line up, @freshpopcorn! Very enjoyable read/listen. 🙂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm loving this thread. Have had a few weeks of surprises and health issues but promise I'll get to it as soon as I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

No pressure @Mystery Egg, a few us in the same boat so probably wouldn't get to this till the New Year.

Take care of yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Right, about time I did this. I've had the list for ages but was waiting for laptop time as it would have been a pain on the phone!

So to kick off...it can only be.....Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade. Is it ever really Christmas until you've heard "IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!!!" in Nolder's Black Country accent? So actually I'd clip that, play Noddy first and then go into the song...cos that's how you open a show!

At number 10 we have this one...my mother hates this song because it was number one at Christmas and still number one when I was born. She was fed up of being pregnant and "When a Child is Born" was just rubbing it in that I was overstaying my welcome in her womb 🤣

Next up at number 9 is one of the songs that made this list that Christmas FM brought into my world...some people say Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend but this gal just wants...a Hippopotamus for Christmas!

I've never seen this video before, so of an age!

Talking about songs that radio stations brought into my life, number 8 is another one. This one I will always associate with the late Gerry Ryan. It was always nearly Christmas when he played this one, it's Frank Kelly's Christmas Countdown

This actually got into the charts in the UK and he made Top of the Pops, with an abridged version. This video is brilliant!! Frank Kelly was a genius!

Post edited by Caranica on

At number 7 now here's something from our favourite Argentinian Irish man...Chris de Burgh. There's something about his introduction to this song that always gave me goosebumps. Lots of cover versions....Celtic Women is atrocious but here's the man himself, all sweaty in concert...A Spaceman Came Travelling

Back to those radio songs again. For number 6..during Christmas of 2020 this song felt like it was played several times each hour on Christmas FM. And no wonder, in the midst of a bleak pandemic, facing a Christmas like none ever before, who didn't want to be transported to Hawaii? Mele Kalikimaka to you all!

Only the audio here.

• Advertisement

And now it's time for that hidden gem. A Christmas Song we don't hear very often, and maybe with good reason.

This song came into my world via a selection box, remember when selection boxes were actually big and worth getting? This was a large square selection box, I think it came from my Grandparents. It was a Mars selection box and in the middle of the square was a black cassette with gold writing "Mars Christmas Hits" (isn't it amazing how we can sometimes remember unimportant details?). Anyway most of the songs were familiar but this one wasn't. This will forever be a selection box song for me, dreary and all as it is!

Here's David Essex with "A Winter's Tale"

Getting to the top 5 and still so many to choose from...changing my mind as I type...but here's my number 5. Driving Home for Christmas is something I've done almost all of my adult life. Loading up the car, like playing Tetris, to get everything to fit but still allow room for the stop at the florist to get flowers for my mother and a wreath for my grandparents grave. It's tradition. This song has always resonated with me, none so much as 2010 and the horrendous snow. I didn't get to drive home for Christmas that year, it was too dangerous, and it broke my heart every time I heard that song. It's still a song that says Christmas, because it's part of my Christmas so...get on with it Chris Rea!

Number 4, how could I leave this one out. This was the song of a generation, a song of action, a song with so many incredible voices. George Michael was my hero ( I was very young) and much as I hated Bono ,and U2, his lyrics here and the vocal performance are just iconic. They've remade/butchered this song many times but it will always be about the original for me. So here's Band Aid and Do They Know It's Christmas

Top three time...and these all hold a special place in my heart.

At number 3 we have the quintessential duet, Bowie and Crosby and this classic video. I hated The Little Drummer Boy in School but Peace on Earth/The Little Drummer Boy just gave it new life, and musicality. I adore this song. I hope you do too.

Number 2...almost there....and I did mention I used to love George Michael so of course you knew this one was going to appear! Last Christmas confused me as a 7 year old, I couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't keep George Michael's heart and dump him so cruelly. I certainly wouldn't have!! Mind you none of that was anywhere near as brutal as the film that bore this name from a few years back. Atrocious doesn't come close.

Like A Winter's Tale, this song is about a break up and the genius in adding in a Christmas connection guaranteed that this one would be a success. Winter just wasn't specific enough 😉

And number 1...a classic. Another not so happy song with a Christmas motif but a classic it is. This is one of the songs that will identify the Irish people in the room anywhere in the world, no matter what time of the year. I've had a couple of magicial experiences where this has happened and it just brings you right back home. It can't be Christmas on an Irish radio station, real or virtual without....Fairytale of New York. The debates about the F word will eventually remove all the original versions from the internet, it'll be "you're cheap and you're haggard" everywhere we look. But for now enjoy it as it was meant to be.

Well that has flown by, thank you for "listening".

To sign off...well I have to remember it's Christmas and though not religious these days I was, like most of Ireland, brought up as Catholic. So I'm going to stick in something a little serious, a carol. The lyrics wish you a Merry Christmas..though I will never not hear "give a, give a, give a Garmin, give a, give a, give a Garmin" 🤣

But to break with tradition here's a magical instrumental version with a captivating video. I give you Carol of the Bells (with ne'er a bell in sight!)

Thanks folks, this has been fun!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooh great sign off. 😁

Some brilliant choices there @Caranica.

Good show!

Thanks! Have just gone back and corrected a load of typos 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Fantastic stuff @Caranica enjoyed that.

Have my list done so hoping to get time in the week to get it together and post.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement