Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Surface level winds in the Dublin area will be offshore this evening/tonight helping temps stay cold enough for snow. Upper level level winds will be NE steering any showers onshore. Ideal scenario in such a marginal setup. Lets see if the precip materializes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That cloud bank will be coming ashore here near the coast shortly. Currently not cold enough for consequences of anything at the surface but as soon as the sun gets nearer the horizon we'll head toward 0 again. It's around 3c in north Dub at the moment.

I expect more graupel than snow. Also we'd want precipitation to drift offshore before ever so slightly milder temps temporarily intrude over the sea later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Tullamore rural.

Current 1.5c at 3.30pm

and sliding away.

Love this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

+0.3c here in Roundwood at the moment and dropping fast. I can see that big cloud bank to my east....

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Looking due north across Donegal Bay, the Bluestacks will be white in the morning 🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I see the Howth weather Islandbawn station is no more

Used to be great taste of the airmass, dewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Genuine question

Why do some people want this weather?

Snow,Ice,freezing temps,hazardous traveling conditions with a possibility of injury or worse,loss of life.

As I said genuine question,not meant as inflammatory in any way. Have wondered this for a long time and hoping someone can provide an honest, non judgemental reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Because its fun to observe/experience much like when people speculate/enjoy a heatwave or torrential rain which also cause the possible outcomes you mentioned. It's about perception & acting accordingly in line with the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Because there is a beauty in a bright cold winters day, and when the alternative is cloudy windy wet and dark conditions, lots of people need a bit of light when we can get it. You can get spectacular sunrises and sunsets with these kinds of conditions which is good for the soul.

Also, our climate used to regularly have frosty days in winter, and this played a role in controlling the population of insects and other flora and fauna. If we don't get these frosty conditions, then the balance of our eco system changes and we can lose some native species and they get replaced with invasive species from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

perhaps some snizzle? 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kegg

Snow shower in castlebar at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I don't like wet and rainy days, it's miserable especially when the days are short. At least with cold crisp sunny days you can do things and the sun even if there is no heat has a warming affect on the soul.

Snow reminds us of our childhoods I think. I know it's wet but it's a different wet that you can still go out in and enjoy. We all remember snow ball fights and sliding down a hill on plastic sacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

Yes. I also love strong storms and in summer I love 30° + heat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Any evidence to support your claims of extra loss of life?

People will be driving slower or not undertaking that journey at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As long as its not raining i'm happy. i can go out golfing or walking well wrapped up and enjoy myself. Rain i don't like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This sort of weather brings joy to many people. The current dry and frosty weather makes it easy to go outside and not be stuck indoors all the time when it's raining. Snow brings joy to many children and adults alike unless they have to drive. A serious dump of snow keeps many inside and even bag a few days off work into the bargain. Not everyone likes snow but plenty of people do. Snow is so rare in Ireland, many of us have been waiting 4 years since the last snowfall that doesn't include temporary dustings. I don't ever remember hearing about loss of life during Storm Emma or December 2010, sure some people may have slipped on pavements but this sort of weather is generally less damaging and dangerous compared to a proper winter wind storm.

As mentioned in above posts when it's icey or snowy, people generally drive much slower and take their time making sure accidents don't happen.

Latest GFS run. Doesn’t bring onshore any precipitation from the Irish Sea. Resolution probably struggles to handle small events though.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yeah the ICON and ECM both keep the precip offshore too. Arpege backing down on the idea too, just has it clipping the coast now. Only the Arome still has anything significant coming inland. Was always going to be a nowcast situation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

it may well be that many of the enthusiasts are town/city dwellers?

Deep rural is a very different kettle of fish. Much more disruptive etc.

As for me? No weather is bad weather... Just all is WEATHER.

I just had to go out to bring the grocery delivery in and IT IS SO COLD. In just those few minutes I "lost" my hands..

And thinking of homeless folk tonight. You could not survive out there. And of those who cannot afford heating.

It is what it is and yes it has a great transient beauty. Takes the breath away. Watching strange shaped clouds scaling the mountains... Other worldly.. Like a scene from Tolkien..

So still now. Heavy clouds.

Carpe Diem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

0 degrees at Gurteen at 4pm. Many other stations hovering at 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I'm a rural dweller, in the Wicklow Mountains (with poor circulation), and I do enjoy this weather. It was a rarity when I was a child where I grew up, probably more so for my own children. For all the disruptive experiences it can bring, it also brings positive ones such as sledging with the children. Even if it was stressful at times (santa worried about getting out for one!), 2010 is talked about far more than the Christmas either side.

But you can't wish weather anyway - it is what it is. I lurk on this forum all year, but it's the events I follow and learn from, and the snow I post about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OldRio

What a day. We managed to get all the lights put up outside the house and the farm buildings. I wore plenty of layers. Up and down ladders helped keep me warm.

What a difference to have sunshine and not rain and cloud. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sleepy Joseph

Much ado about nothing in SoCoDu. If Met Eire really need to persist with these warnings they need to be locally specific.

Latest Harmonie out. Seems like a bit of a downgrade compared to the 6Z run. Just the Dublin area now can expect some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Snowchants

Temperature plummeting now in the Dublin mountains 250asl here and has just dipped into the minuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

Down to 0c at Dublin Airport in the last half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Max of 2.6c today in Tullow and back down to 0.2c already at 4:45pm.

• Advertisement

Latest dew points, well poised right now if we get precipitation in the Dublin area soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement