Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Police Scotland recruitment takes about 16 weeks and that includes Ist tests. Assessment day including interview. Fitness test and all vetting. The starting salary is £28k too.

Even if Psni had the budget for new intakes the process takes so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

It’s not ideal the waiting time but it’s the only option we have lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ciaran124

it is certainly frustrating. I believe it it similar to the majority of public sector jobs in Northern Ireland. Very slow process, but Starsky is right it is our only option. Hopefully there is some sort of update in the beginning of the new year. It will all be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Summer157

I am bottom quarter of the list and to be realistic it could be 2025 before I fingers crossed could get in

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Same as you, im also in process of buying house which could write me off from process if they don't take partners income into consideration. Mortgage and bills would eat up my salary for the first 6 months so it's looking less likely for me now 😕 who knows, just have to wait and see, finish the process and deal with the rest after. Partner on alot more than i am currently so might be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

I am in the 2020 campaign, appointable and awaiting the call, February 2023 marks 3 years since i applied my advise would be to just live your life and let the campaign run in the background. I have changed jobs twice since applying, and furthered my career just in the off chance that i dont get in. The recruitment process for me was a drawn out one, from covid to budget cuts to covid again and now even further budget cuts but i am still here because i truly believe that it will be worth the wait. Good things come to those who wait after all.

PS. If anyone has any questions about the recruitment process, give me a shout i am here to help if i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

On one hand, all is not well. On the other hand, they may need people sooner than expected.

I was talking to a mate who is in the Psni. They are keen to stop newly trained officers leaving. ( After all it took a lot of money to train them )

He said the pay structure and rates are being reviewed in April. Should be a rise and also the salary should increase more in the years after joining. Eg u won't have to wait till about year 5 till u have a decent salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Hopefully come April time, things start moving in the right direction again 🤞

Isn't the payscale fixed nationally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Did anyone watch the policing board meeting on Thursday? This topic came up about the amount of probationary cons leaving. They said they are imminently looking at adjusting the garnerville starting wage of scale 1a and instead making it 1b which would make it £24,780 + £3492 Nita. They said that can be put into effect without an executive and separate to the pay rise.

glad to hear it because lately I have been thinking there is no way I could take the hit of scale 1a (£21,441) regardless of it being for 4/5months.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

PSNI to look at improving pay for new police recruits https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63917338

I received update email. No intakes planned for 2022 /2023 year . Cannot confirm when further stages of recruitment will commence

Does their financial year run April-April? If so that’s not that surprising. My feeling is that they’ll know around Feb what the craic is for the first quarter of FY24. I’d emailed them a few months ago and she said it was going to be run in batches, so I reckon around then they’ll start vetting maybe the first 100-200.

Thing is though I’m near sure I heard the COO say they’d received their budget 2 Wednesdays ago on that latest Policing Board meeting, and if that’s inclusive of the funding allocated by Permanent Secretary then it doesn’t bode well as she said they hadn’t been able to bridge the gap.

I also feel like they’ll run a small squad to begin with probably in May (May seems to be the consensus on 2020 thread) at maybe half strength? Then break for June July and a full squad in August going forward

Keep the heads up folks.

There is still no executive so it's inevitable that the recruitment position hasn't changed, and at least we received an email to keep us in the loop and confidence that our campaign wont be done away with.

If anything hope that the the PSNI starting salary will change, apparently there is a meeting on Wednesday about it and it looks promising that it will be adjusted which can only be in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Skyhook44

Best of luck to everyone with the remaining stages! As of this week I’ve withdrew my application from the process, like many of you it’s a career I’ve always dreamed of but I’ve recently had to be honest with myself and ask is it a job that would really suit me?.

It’s polar opposite to my own job now and probably not something I would transition into easily. That’s not to say I won’t reconsider in the future but for now I’m out…

Good luck all I hope the process starts to speed up…there’s light at the end of the tunnel yet!

I'm honestly the same mate, especially with the pay cut and having to working shifts for it. Completely different to a force 20/30 years ago, my dad retired at 48 with a full police pension, that doesn't happen anymore.

If I can give you any advice, I would hang fire on withdrawing the application if you haven't already done so, nothing is moving at the moment anyway and you have done the hard part of recruitment process. Keep your hat in the ring, you can always defer it for a year when the call eventually comes.

Don't withdraw just yet. Nothing to loose to keep application in. You can always decide later if u get the call.

Been feeling like withdrawing too as am over 40 now and just been offered a new job this week. Gonna just wait and see. Hopefully things will move forward next year.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope we all see some progress in the new year.

• Advertisement

Thank you ! Merry Christmas to you and everyone on this board. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Newsoph3

Does anyone know the latest figures for the 2020 campaign? I see it was updated on 21/12/22 but my phone won’t load the chart showing the numbers.

Yeah I have them here;

21/12/2022

Candidates Appointed 480

Candidates Failed/Removed 341

Candidates Progressing/Waiting 159

Does anyone have any idea what the small "Cohort Intake" was about? Apparently it was less than 10 people who started in January, it was mentioned in an email. Bit odd I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OldBenTheHermit

That small cohort were the reserves from October

Who all thought big news was coming in the email ? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

Same. Fed up with it now tbh.

Yeah it’s frustrating, it’s just a waiting game but it will come . They can’t not recruit 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ciaran124

I’m the same. I check this forum every now and then in the hope that I’ve missed an email from recruitment. Sure fingers crossed for an update soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 C3PO.

🤣 I did 100%

Advertisement