Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

1.5C here near Tralee, ice on windscreen a short time ago. Clear skies now, can feel it is going to get very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another plus about this cold snap is that it feels Christmassy. I love it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

I don't like GAA and I can't understand and it greatly bothers me how people in the GAA forum discuss GAA.

I don't care for cars either and it drives me nuts that when you go into the Motors forum, people are discussing.....motors!! It beggars belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Nephin Mountain in Co.Mayo got a fresh dusting of snow from this shower that passed by about an hour ago.

The first snow of the season could be seen early last night near the summit under the light of the full moon.

A couple of well scattered but lovely defined showerclouds here this afternoon. The one below produced a few snowflakes in Castlebar and along part of the Nephin Beg Range. A lovely orange glow now in the southwestern quadrant of the sky after a lovely winter sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Uncommon.

The only ice days at any station in the country since December 2010 are 21 January 2011, 1 December 2016, 28 February 2018, 1/2 March 2018 and 6 December 2020. Derrygreenagh (Offaly) had a max of -3.7C on 28 February 2018.

In Dec 2010, there were 12 ice days alone in Cavan. However, that was an exceptional case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Donegal airport went from Rain at 4pm to light snow at 4.30 and to sleet at 5pm

EIDL 081700Z 17008KT 9999 -RASN SCT012 OVC048 01/00 Q1014

EIDL 081630Z 17011KT 9999 -SN BKN020 OVC023 01/M00 Q1014

EIDL 081600Z VRB04KT 9000 RA OVC026 02/M00 Q1014

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Down to -1.1c at Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Some amazing cloudscapes out over the Irish sea being lit up by the setting sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Cloud is building in the north Irish Sea in the past hour or so, hopefully it continues as per the forecast. Will be interesting to see if we start to see some radar returns begin to appear in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Checking some of the hi res charts and steering winds really weren't going to switch more NE'ly till maybe 6ish for Dublin & south.

Looking at satellite and developing cloud in and around the IOM is finally shifting and moving on a NE'ly wind. So almost kickoff (in terms of shifting wind). Window looks to be open till a little while after midnight. But not surprising to see the lack of precip pushing inland, by the times things may get going again we won't be a million miles off winds going back more straight N'rly and any developments will start to slide down the Irish sea again.

But let's see what the developing cloud around IOM does - not my area of knowledge so don't know is this a precursor to precip.

EDIT: Icon 12z does make something of the cloud developing in that area. But it get's within touching distance of Dublin and says g'luck. Let's see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I also think frosty weather is necessary to kill off bugs like cold and flu - mild damp weather is awful for feeding and spreading them.

I love cold, cold, as well as hot, hot, hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Whoop, whoop!! 0.0 c in Sandyford now - fell rapidly from 2.1 to that in the last hour

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not too cloudy out in the Irish Sea atm. However, fantastic moon in the clear northerly air!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Much colder than last night here, clear overhead with some clouds visible in the Irish Sea direction, currently 08/-0.9C temp/dp so conditions favourable for sneachta, lets see what the night brings.

Webcam view towards the NE (bright ball is the moon which looks huge tonight :

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

In wicklow town and it might just graze us with some wintry precipitation. Interesting to see if we get anything. Won’t be staying up lamp post watching but would love a sprinkle in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 BradyH

Have been quietly watching this forum for years (10ish) never post, just check in come winter. Familiar with all the names, here & gone. I find the discussion/model watching fascinating, and share a passion for cold with some.

It never fails to strike me, that come Winter, approaching a cold snap, various unfamiliar posters pop in, some to genuinely question the love of wintry weather, but some to criticise, dismiss, agitate.

I have arrived at the following categorization:

"what is the story with wishing for cold, I mean what about the vulnerable etc.". = I'm disappointed

"ah sure it all be over in 2 days, non event, what's all the hype about" = I'm disappointed

"You lot always ramp it up & it never comes to pass" = I'm disappointed

Anyway, thanks to everyones contributions over the years, a good bunch all round. We all deserve snowmageddon this year☃️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

"I also think frosty weather is necessary to kill off bugs like cold and flu "

Surely after the spread of covid you dont believe that myth anymore? Covid first spread across the Northern hemisphere in the 3 coldest months of the year. Indeed one the first super spreader events in Europe was from a bar in a ski resort in Austra. Cold weather has precisely nothing to do with killing virus, It merely keeps people indoors a little more which can make the virus harder to find hosts. Nothing to do with Temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Down to 0.4C this evening.

I've to drive into Tralee tonight😭

Ice warning for the whole country at 10pm.

Driving in wicklow and Dublin treacherous

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Extreme cold does inactivate viruses, but not the temperatures that humans exist in.

As we well know, only barrier methods, hand and mucous membrane hygiene and virus killing agents like ethyl alcohol can reduce viral load and give the immune system some chance to avoid illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats Mars above to the right, they'll be closer together later in the night, impressive sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Down to 0.9c here in waterford Was up at 1.7 last night at 8pm. The water tray out the back didn't really thaw much today so it will be interesting tomorrow if these temps keep dropping. Would recommend getting a quilted frost shield for the windscreen of your car, very handy and keeps the ice forming on the inside of the windscreen if you have a car that fogs up. Also good if you have a diesel and it takes ages to heat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

i haven’t logged into Boards for at least a year, but had to do so to ‘thank’ this post 😁

Long overdue a decent cold spell, hopefully this is it…

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Signs of convective activity in the Irish Sea as winds turn a shade more towards the northeast. Showers bubbling up

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

The Irish Sea is definitely starting to bubble up.. I imagine snow showers are on the way for parts of Dublin and Wickla!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Thanks everyone for answering my query with..on the whole...civility

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking east from coastal north dublin about ten minutes ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Look at those lovely showers just floating off the coast of wexford. If only they would push inland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement