Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why inheritance is the dirty secret of the middle classes – harder to talk about than sex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So, in summary:

Forced selling of farms = bad

Forced selling of houses = good

Wouldnt happen to be a farmer would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Given the total revenue generated from CAT was €36m in 2021, I don’t imagine they’ll be too keen to get rid of it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't worry dude. I pay tax on what I earn. I'm not sitting around waiting on someone else to pop their clogs so that I can get money for nothing.

Businesses are protected. Simple as that.

You might have your eye on your elderly relatives place. You might even be looking forward to the Winter in case there is a cold snap. If they pass away and leave you something then good for you, but that is merely just a windfall for you to cash in and live off for a while. It isn't contributing to the economy or the country GDP.

You are free to have said relatives purchase a business, or even land, and set yourself up to cynically take advantage of the rules if you want. The purpose behind the rules is perfectly logical and reasonable though. You might find - if you actually read up on it - that it wouldn't be worth your while to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement

Here are CAT receipts by county:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Jesus I read that arseways 😂

(I was looking at a table on the CSO website)

Definitely not doing away with it any time soon so 😬

If you have money that you want to give to your kids, and if you are married, is it not the case that you can give the kids 6k per year (3k from you and 3k from your wife) which is tax free (and I don't think comes off the lifetime allowance). If the kid is married, you can give 12k. If you have grandchildren, you can also give them 6k per year tax free.

So it is quite easy to pass substantial wealth to your children cash free. Most of the people whinging though are not worried about them passing on to their children. They are worried about having to pay it on their expected inheritances. Because it might be a bit on an issue to approach mammy and daddy and explain to them that they should give you 6k a year pocket money so that you won't be taxed on it when they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Better off spending 5/6 grand on installing a walk in safe at home for your cash / valuables the way these grim lot are going…

keeping a token 6/7 grand in the bank for appearances… take couple of hundred out, lodge a few hundred in every couple of months for appearances.

keep the bulk of your cash in the home safe….

I’ve seen these safes on line and a business I worked for years ago had one… you’d need military grade explosives to breach them. It was a two person job to close the door. 😶

inheritance tax especially at the rate it’s at… it’s a mafia style scum sucking cash grab….nothing more, whomever thought it up and implemented it should have been jailed..

before I did some research I said.. “ ok, the implementation of that tax was a FG dude , no fûckin doubt “. I wasn’t wrong… Richie Ryan… who I’m reading was characterised and lampooned at the time by Halls Pictorial Weekly as ‘ Richie Ruin ‘ ….

A little bit of history of taxes on transfers of wealth in Ireland:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you heard about inflation? It'll do far more damage to your cash haul over ten or twenty years than any modest inheritance tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭techman1

Well SF the party certainly benefited from a large inheritance from one William Hampton, they received nearly 5 million euros, nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I realise you are not serious and are just edgelording, but when you do things like that you get unintended consequences. Remember, Ireland's inheritance taxes are already the highest in the world, according to one accountancy firm.

France introduced a wealth tax, which was something like 1% of all world wide assets held if you were worth more than €1.3m. So what actually happened was total tax receipts declined because a lot of the rich people left France. Some who couldn't stop working in Paris moved to Belgium and commuted daily. Overall the consequences of the wealth tax were very negative for France, which is why it was abolished.

Capital flight since the ISF wealth tax’s creation in 1988 amounts to ca. €200 billion; The ISF causes an annual fiscal shortfall of €7 billion, or about twice what it yields; The ISF wealth tax has probably reduced GDP growth by 0.2% per annum, or around 3.5 billion (roughly the same as it yields); In an open world, the ISF wealth tax impoverishes France, shifting the tax burden from wealthy taxpayers leaving the country onto other taxpayers. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228281017_The_Economic_Consequences_of_the_French_Wealth_Tax

The famous French actor Gerard Depardieu left France and moved to Russia when they introduced a stupid 75% tax on high incomes:

Gerard Depardieu paying just six per cent tax in adopted Russia since fleeing Francois Hollande's 75 per cent megatax

So if you increased IHT to 100%, a very childish idea, other things would happen, and likely not good for the country in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So you work hard your whole life to provide for your family, Paying tax on every penny you make & then when you die the government swan take 1 third of it, that then probably goes to some scourges on the dole, Sounds great

You can easily pass on a lot of wealth tax free using the 3k per person per year route if you want to. Then they'll have their 335k limit after you die too.

As posted above, most people whinging are not whinging because of that. They are whinging because they feel they might lose out on their own windfall. It is easy to fix if it is your wealth that you want to hand over, what might be difficult is for you to approach someone else and ask them to hand theirs over to you now.

Yes you can do that if you like, there is also other ways around it & lets also remember not everyone see there death coming ,

Lets be honest here if you work your entire life & have children & have paid tax on every penny you have ever made, The thought of the government swanning in once you pass and taking 33% of your estate & not the people you care about is hard to swallow,

If you think otherwise that fine its your perspective on life but at the same time you must be aware not everyone thinks like yourself,

I always have to laugh at people preaching how others should think

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's a great reason for more and more countries to introduce wealth taxes.

They don't take 33%. They take 33% of the amount over 335k for category 1 beneficiaries

How much would you realistically be leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People are discussing, disagreeing and critiquing... which is all fine and appropriate in a democracy ;)

Not whinging... but continue to post disingenuously

Sure if he went and lived in a shack in no-mans land in Antarctica he might get away with paying 0% tax.

• Advertisement

I know what they take ,The issues is you taxed on every penny you have ever made & then the money is taxed again & again through out your life & then once your gone they come looking for the rest,

The whole idea is to redistributes income so the money goes to the state to be distributed for the benefit of all but in reality does that even happen ? I think people wold find it easier if there was a certain pool for inheritance tax that we all knew actually done its intended job ,

I hope i'm a long way form leaving anything ,

I'm not sure if you have kids but id imagine its every parents hope to leave them all they possible can , Remember all them hours you put in making money where hours missed with them,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

The joys of Trusts in the States...;)

Inheritance Tax is state sponsored theft and double taxation, pure and simple.

I have never received an inheritance nor do I want to. However, as a family we have always worked together. Each child has spent years working with me during holidays to build what we currently have. Yes they were paid and NO they don't want to be part of Dads business. That's fine. However, they have all worked their asses off helping me build/maintain/develop assets that we currently have. If they were to have to pay 33% of the value of those assets after their allowances (euro 335k???) it would mean I would be taxed twice on the earned money it took to get those assets.

Take another scenario, two brothers, never married living together in a house, one dies..... should the other have to pay inheritance tax? It may have been their family home for decades after their parents passed away??

Much of the wealth that is passed on, particulalrly for larger estates, is as much due to State and society as it is to someone grafting with their bare hands. Nobody likes to admit it though because they like to feel that it was purely their own brilliance that contributed to the increase over their lifetime.

With 3 kids, you can leave a million quid and the State gets nothing. If your spouse is still alive, and each of those kids is married with their own two kids, then you can be handing over nearly a grand and a half a week to your family tax free for as long as you want while you are alive. And they will likely get more benefit out of it early in their lives anyway.

For your second scenario, they pay zero tax under current rules. Even if the house is worth 100 million

For the former, your kids could easily avail of business relief with the proper planning and preparation. Are you taxed twice on business assets? Usually not. You could also have paid your kids an income when they worked for you. (You say you did, but this also reduced your "profit" and your own tax bill). That would have reduced your tax bill. There are people who do this specifically to avoid tax. Especially when they have kids in college etc. They pay their children a "wage" rather than handing over cash to pay for their expenses. Of course, the work is supposed to be done. But in some cases many don't do the work. It can significantly reduce the business owner's tax bill

Basically, it can allow the business owner to give their child money before tax. Whereas the PAYE worker has to give their child money after tax

And you don't see that this idea would lead to countries vying to attract the wealthy as tax residents via ever lower and lower rates? Interesting.

Corporation Tax waves hello!

That already happens............................

The question you would need to ask yourself for the example given is whether you'd have a better standard of living in France, paying more tax, or in Russia, paying less tax. The poster said the actor fella pays 6%. Google says the rate is 13% for such cases. That wouldn't take into account unofficial "taxes" you might encounter in such a jurisdiction either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All good arguments for tax harmonisation and elimination of non-domicile statuses tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Or to put it another way, you work hard and pay tax all your life and those taxes are subsidising class of people living tax free off grandads millions

• Advertisement

Whereas you want them to subsidize all the people who have nothing to do with grandad instead?

Advertisement