Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, a proportion of those who aren't refugees are the fake English students who overstay. We should be looking at those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'll get you that poll ASAP. I may be wrong but I would have thought having pro life as something on your manifesto would make a political party a no for the majority of people nowadays. Then again I don't know middle aged many housewives from Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Ill look forward to it. I think maybe at a time of tbe referendum, but it's a done deal now, and a small party such as Aontu isn't changing that. Most see it as settled.

Though to be honest, I have little interest im arguing with someone with an entrenched position, who constantly throws "digs" at any opposition felt.

It might be really important to you but on the Sept Ireland Thinks Poll, I don't see abortion anywhere as the two most important things facing the government, I see immigration on 7 percent (I think it maybe be up to 11 percent in latest one) up massively since the last election

And I voted Yes at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So a 1 billion euro hit to the economy per year. And will only get worse. Wasn't there a guy on here a few days ago saying it actually generates money ha. Some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Generates a lot of money for some hotel owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

I work in the industry (not directly in a hotel but with many hotels)

I've been saying this since day one,it's unbelievable how some people can't join the dots.As I have said on here before it doesn't matter if they can't see it now,it will become very apparent to even the most simple of simpletons from next season.

My own business will be gone next summer as a direct result of this policy.Our insurance is paid up until mid July so we will run til then if it makes sense,if not (as I expect to be the case) we just won't open next season.

The one billion Euro hit as outlined in the article is only the tip of the iceberg.It is based off figures as of today and doesn't include the 10s of thousands who will come between now and next season. It also doesn't include the expenditure on refugees which is approximately 3 billion next year.People are angry about the children's hospital, this equates to 2 children's hospitals every year and that figure is only going up as more and more come.

I'm not anti refugee, I've been lumped in with fringe lunatics by some of the more naive posters on here.We need a plan to deal with what's here and what's coming.

I don't have much faith in any party to do this,look how they dealt with the first wave......destroyed our biggest indigenous industry and then told us we need to do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's of great concern is the apparent consensus among political parties here, industry and certain NGOs that increasing and constant immigration is a given, that we somehow need it.

I don't recall any great public discourse on this. I don't recall that we've consulted in a referendum or it being a major election issue. I've never been contacted by my public representatives or anyone else to get my views on it. This is being increasingly presented as a fait accompli. For a matter of such great and lasting importance, that is simply not good enough.

At the very minimum, there's needs to be considerable public consultation - let's the hear the arguments and policies both for & against and what limitations are in place etc. Then the public can make up it's mind and not feel that we're being railroaded into something on the quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The one billion Euro hit as outlined in the article is only the tip of the iceberg.It is based off figures as of today and doesn't include the 10s of thousands who will come between now and next season. It also doesn't include the expenditure on refugees which is approximately 3 billion next year.People are angry about the children's hospital, this equates to 2 children's hospitals every year and that figure is only going up as more and more come.

The €1Bn hit in the article refers to lost earnings to the tourism sector, that’s not the same as a €1Bn hit to the economy, and that figure is based on the numbers of hotel rooms being used for humanitarian purposes rising to 30%, from 24%. The €1Bn projected loss DOES appear to include a rise in projected numbers of refugees and a projected rise in demand for hotel rooms.

People are angry about the rising costs of the construction of the children’s hospital, because the initial estimate for it was €800m in 2014, it’s currently double that now, and is scheduled to be completed in 2024 with nobody able to put a figure on the final cost. But, at the end of it we will have a children’s hospital which will serve the needs of the public.

The tourism sector isn’t really comparable in any sense with the provision of public services, and when hotels are increasing prices to offset the costs of running the business, a drop in occupancy rates is entirely to be expected because people just won’t be willing to pay it. Some people can still afford to pay it, like my young lad he booked himself a stay recently in a four star hotel and there was no issue with getting a room. The hotel owners and staff were only too delighted to be able to accommodate refugees too.

Government haven’t destroyed the tourism industry, they’re trying to deal with a humanitarian disaster, while the tourism sector appears to be no different than any other sector of the economy which is experiencing the rising cost of doing business, and can’t get the staff -

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/11/28/energy-costs-now-account-for-up-to-12-of-a-hotels-revenues/

What’s happening is having a global effect, it’s not just having a negative effect on the tourism sector, it’s affecting all business sectors in Ireland, and in reality there’s actually very little the Irish Government can do about it on their own, and it’s not just you our Government is asking to do more, they’re asking the same of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

How are they not getting staff the whole point of this seems to bring in people to do the job the Irish apparently to good for. Yet still unable to get staff.

How are they not getting the staff? Because the staff aren’t there!

As any business tries to do, they’re trying to keep their labour costs as low as they can, and people aren’t willing to work under the conditions they’re being offered which don’t reflect the reality of the rising costs of living and working in Ireland for any potential employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

So for the same reasons as the Irish won’t do these jobs the immigrants won’t do them either?

It would appear so. It used to be the case that there would always be people willing to do the jobs other people wouldn’t, but even that doesn’t appear to apply any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

When the cost of living rises too much, a large number of jobs become undesirable.

That used to just refer to bar work and hotel jobs and service industry stuff. But as cost of housing in particular has risen so dramatically as of late, now professions like nursing and teaching and even gardai are undesirable in Dublin and beyond.

Importing more people to do these jobs doesnt solve anything, it makes things worse. Housing costs are going to keep rising as a result of these policies, so the labour issues will get worse, not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Probably has something to do with all the comforts being gifted to them as soon as they landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

So the whole thing about people arriving "without passports" is just a red herring then, correct? People here have an issue with all of the refugees and asylum seekers who are arriving?

Nope Genuine are welcome but not from safe countries.

But from what I can see, the narrative keeps on shifting. Sometimes the objection is to people arriving without passports and documentation, but other times even the ones with passports and other travel documents are being described as "illegal" and "not real refugees". I'm seeing the same stuff on social media, the narrative changing almost every day.

No it does not maybe on other platforms. People have said genuine are welcome. People who loose their information not. People who try and jump the Que of economic migrants I.E don't apply for visas. If people have enough cash to pay people smugglers for example they can afford to come legally. The is a reason they pay as they will not meet the entry requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

is that the case? aren't the ones in east wall on mattresses in office cubicles? i think they get 46 euros a week, hardly much of a life. i would have thought most people would prefer to work in some capacity rather than that.

All fair points , and I get called woke because I object to intimidating refugees

you’re correct the government needs to man up and start pushing back to the eu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"What’s happening is having a global effect, it’s not just having a negative effect on the tourism sector, it’s affecting all business sectors in Ireland, and in reality there’s actually very little the Irish Government can do about it on their own, and it’s not just you our Government is asking to do more, they’re asking the same of everyone."

They are like f**k asking the same of everyone. There'd be many in this country who are more or less completely sheltered from adverse effect on their income. Working in parts of tech and pharma etc, but also largely in the public service. Completely sheltered and happy to lecture those who are affected, on their moral obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

For now.

Won't be long before they are either moved to full rate supports and given a home to call their own.

or

Ride it out a bit longer while taking their case to the courts which ends up costing millions.

Either way it's nothing but a bad deal for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RTE must be afraid the protests will kick in big time over the next few weeks, Drivetime sent a reporter down to Clare for a sympathy piece on a few young men who are in tents because there is no accommodation for them.

Its a bit galling to hear these economic migrants whinging when they were never asked to come here in the first place.

"International Protection Applicants" RTE likes to call them, and of course no texts from listeners were read out afterwards.

But it's surely not for the public or a section of the public to decide who is or who isn't a genuine refugee. That can really only be done by the authorities working with our own asylum laws and international refugee law.

It would be a bit like me trying to decide from the comfort of my armchair who is eligible to receive social welfare payments and who isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I'm sure you have proof that these lads were "economic migrants" as you call them. And lol, the far right lads trying to push protests are not going to get anywhere I'm afraid. Some quite good exposes on them done lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Damien360

This keeps happening. Painting people protesting as far right and racists.

I can only tell you about my local one in Newbridge. I live nearby the proposed location. I could walk to it in 10mins. The people had genuine concerns with regard to the location and services effected (schools, doctors). There were no far right nutters present in that crowd that I saw.

I suspect the east wall one was similar but people found one person with a grudge and decided everyone else must be a racist.

People have to be allowed protest and be heard. The media and entire government, including the opposition, are all on the same hymn sheet, all with their heads in the sand, pretending we are a rich country and the taxpayer will swallow all this cost to them financially and socially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I was agreeing in principle but your comment about East Wall ruined your entire argument. Plenty of far right conspiracy loons there.

"What started out last week as quite a large cohort of people in the North Inner City and East Wall discussing how they weren’t informed, how they didn’t feel consulted, has very quickly descended into what I will only describe now as a far-right rally,” he said. The protest "does not represent” the view of local residents." - the words of a local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Well there ya go, you were wrong in thinking that.

I think unemployment with the Nigerians is around 60-70%.

They came here feeling war and persecution etc etc years ago.

Are they all still living on 46 euro a week?

Im pretty sure the majority are in houses while the majority of them are unemployed.

Can you square that circle for me?

Wait it out long enough and, well we all know what happens except yourself and a few others who are in denial with your hands firmly over your ears.

This is not going to end well as long as government keep their heads firmly stuck in the sand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well you are dead wrong on that one, protests do get results.

The tide is turning and the push back has begun against these young men coming here with their made up stories.

Advertisement