Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My son wants a gaming pc, need some advice though.

• 08-12-2022 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi, I’ve never played a gaming pc, been a console lad all my life. My lad who is 13, now wants a gaming pc and I’ve no idea where to start

I just want something that will run well for him, and that can be constantly be updated in the future.

would it be worth while me trying to build myself ( though I have no experience) or just buy ready to go?

we have a keyboard and mouse is all, so would need the monitor too.

I would appreciate any advice please & thanks.

dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

First things first - what is your budget and how flexible are you on that?

A gaming PC is like a car - it can range from a second-hand 15-year old Nissan Micra to a brand new Maserati.

You can spend anything from a few hundred (on second hand weak system) to tens of thousands on a ridiculously high-spec rig. But, typically, most people would fit into the 1,000 - 3,000 camp.

In terms of building yourself, it's relatively straightforward, but really only for people who understand what all the components do and how they work together and understand the bottlenecks and likely upgrade paths. If you know nothing about PCs, I would hesitate before going down this route for you first PC. i.e. get the experience of a reasonably built PC and then upgrading it over the following years. After that, you might have enough understanding experience to start a build from scratch. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

Thanks for your input 👍🏻

Probably 1500-1800. Was thinking building would be a step to far initially.

Just want it to be good for a few years for him before having to upgrade it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Building is fairly easy, but if anything goes wrong, you'll have no source of support other than Google or on here. Buying a pre-built does provide a source of techical support, or replacement if things go fairly wrong. With a slight premium to the price of course. There can be more subtle hidden limitations with pre-builts though, they often tend to keep to bare minumum on things like cooling, or PSU wattage, or smaller motherboards with less expansion options, or proprietary parts. All of which can limit longer term upgrade options.

For either path, research every aspect of it. And don't hesitate to run things past us on here for opinion/criticism/insight.

Yeah, if I buy a pre build, it has to be fully upgradeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,726 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lenovo desktops use standard parts: https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/d/gaming-desktops/

HP Omen do too https://www.currys.ie/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-desktops/hp-omen

Problem is you're looking right after the Black Friday rush, so all the cheaper desktops are out-of-stock.

• Advertisement

Based on the above, I would look at something like this:

which leaves up to €300 spare to spend on a 1440p monitor.

The graphics card is very good for that price range and while the storage/ram is quite small, it would be plenty to get you up and running and you could upgrade at a later date (Graphics cards are often the most expensive to upgrade as they are ridiculously expansive and you have to replace the existing card whereas you can typically simply add more ram/storage as and when you need it). The only issue is that the website gives no details as to the motherboard used (or even the case internals), so hard to see specifically what upgrade paths are available. Definitely worth confirming the number of ram and m.2 slots on the motherboard. Ideally you would have 4 ram slots (2 of which are being used) and at least 3 M.2 slots (1 of which is being used) to enable you to expand the memory/storage.

• Administrators Posts: 53,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't focus too much on upgradability, there's only so much you can do (unless you are willing to sink an absurd amount of money into it).

After 5 or 6 years you will probably have to start from scratch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Homelander

This. People completely go over-board on the "future-proof" and "upgrade down the line" angle, if you buy a solid base now, firstly you won't need to upgrade anything for a few years and secondly, even at that the only thing you'd likely add is a new graphics card.

The upgrading down the line angle only really makes sense when you're buying a low-end machine to begin with because you can't afford anything better.

By the time for example a Ryzen 5700 needed upgrading, the whole machine would need replacing as the entire platform that PC is built on would be totally obsolete.

A PC with a Ryzen 5700 and 6800XT would last anyone years, but especially a kid. In fact a decent PC with something like an RTX3060 and a nice 1080P monitor would cost about €1,200 for the bundle and last for years without touching it.

I've had a Ryzen 5700 and 3060Ti (cost €1,100) with a 1080P 240hz monitor for the past year and I doubt I'll be changing anything for a few more years and I would consider myself more on the enthusiast level that likes to run games at high/ultra.

i seen this lad on adverts who sets up gaming pc’s. Says he gives a warranty and has a very good rep.

i’m sure his build are fully upgradeable. wondering what you think of his set ups?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Homelander

Wouldn't consider them at all when you can get better machines from actual legit retailers for the same money.

Again, you are over-thinking the upgrade part. A PC of that level won't need touching for 5+ years, and at that point you'd probably be looking at a new PC rather than upgrading it, as upgrade options would be limited and superseded by far newer/better technology.

Upgrade potential mostly refers to lower end builds, not to higher-end ones. EG if you bought a machine now for €800 with a Ryzen 3600 and an RX6600, it would run the latest games well and there's loads of rooms there to upgrade to a Ryzen 5800 and newer graphics card in 2 or 3 years time.

But when you're buying a base €1,500 machine, you're already buying close to the ceiling of that platform - and in a few years time anything you could upgrade to would still be far slower than the latest generation, new processors.

So just buy the best machine you can for €1,500 and you won't have to think about a thing for at least 5 years.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads.

what would you go for ?

anyone heard of this company? Offer a 3 year warranty. Specs seem very good, a bit over budget but is it worth it ?

vs

multiple add ons in checkout.

vs

this has an upgradeable graphics card

heads melting looking at these 🥴

Paradagit used to be called komplett and were very popular at one stage.

The 1st paradigit one is €200 more expensive than the lenovo. For that, you get:

• a slightly better cpu
    • twice as much ram
    • twice as much storage
    • a slightly worse graphics card.

As this is for gaming, even if they were the same price, I would go for the lenovo (the paradigit's GPU will be the bottleneck), but for a €200 difference, it's pretty clear who the winner is.

Remember, the ram/storage can be added to at a later date, when they will be cheaper than today's prices. I would stick with 0.5TB - 1TB max and 16GB for now and put the money into the CPU, and especially the GPU. Given the prices for storage are constantly decreasing, why pay for something at today's prices when it will be cheaper by the time you need it. Similar with RAM, you can add another 16GB/32GB at a later date as and when you need it.

As for the second paradigit, by the time you upgrade the graphics card, it's even more expensive and inferior to the 1st one!

Thanks. That’s very helpful. Thanks to all that commented. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I can't see the point of a gaming PC to be honest when an XBox Series X or PS5 will give you 4K 60 FPS HDR or even 120 FPS for 500 quid with zero messing around.

You could then add a cheap laptop on top of that for PC stuff like programming, school, office stuff. Or even a raspberry pi for peanuts.

More options. 😂😂😂 Sorry !

Not sure what the above has to do with the thread, but many people prefer PC gaming as there is a vastly wider selection and variety of games, it is possible (and cheaper) to build up a huge game library over time, have better controls (mouse and Keyboard for most games, gamepads/joysticks etc for the few games that benefit) and contrary to your post, the graphics are typically superior (often vastly so). A console may pretend to give 4K 60/120 FPS, but I'm afraid it is fake (simply a low resolution + low quality image upscaled to 4K just so they can tick a marketing box).

For others, they simply prefer the actual building and tweaking of a PC and upgrading it over time.

P.S. You certainly wouldn't do "programming" on a "cheap laptop" and even "office stuff" would benefit from 1-2 good quality/size/resolution monitors.

Yeah, he thinks he wants to go that way regarding programming. I just want to see the lad smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Not sure if you have purchased yet but I believe I may have found you the ideal PC from the Lenovo Ireland Education Store

Rather than spamming this forum i will link you to the thread i created on the main computers forum

This prebuilt will have enough for a good few years at about 1/3 of your budget

You will need a college email address. Direct link below

Actually it is the same PC you had searched above but with nearly €1000 off

Sold out now from what I can see.

That was very strange pricing. Has to have been a mistake somewhere. The graphics card alone was worth more than the entire PC. Even if a student didn't want it, they could sell it on eBay at a nice profit. Or strip it for parts and do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

No it happens regularly with the Lenovo education site, crazy 70% discount for a day or so or until stock runs out. I picked up a €1000 laptop for <€300 back in April

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118980903/#Comment_118980903

My advice is to sign up for the education store in advance and check the deals page regularly. I sort of apologise for only putting up the deal late today but I had to make sure my order was confirmed before alerting anyone else.

Advertisement