Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@DC999 - "I'm on a 24hr meter"

Any reason for that? For anyone using at least a third in night rate hours, it is already generally cheaper to get a day / night meter. It is free to get one installed. And if you have an EV and / or battery and / or try and use appliances at night and / or have even a small PV setup, it's a total no brainer

You will save a lot of money and a lot of emissions by using as much night rate electricity as possible, also stabilising the grid that will need more and more of that while total national electricity consumption is going up by 10% per year or more every year for the foreseeable future (while we transition away from fossil fuels)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

Well, if one had a backwards spinning meter.... :) NC6 has been submitted. Does that kick-off an automatic meter replacement process from ESB? Am using electric rads and have an EV so the meter reading is still increasing. 

So…bit I’m torn on is do I go D/N now and lose the backwards meter but retain deemed export (as I haven’t rejected a smart meter). Or hold off, but risk being seen as rejecting smart meter so lose deemed export??

Energia told me it’s free to change to a D/N now but I’d have to pay to change to a smart meter if I later did that (when it made better financial sense to move).

I'm already load shifting to help the grid and emissions (that’s important to me). EV, plus some other stuff runs at night. And load shifting helps me ‘practice’ for when I’ve to change meter. 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you're on a 24 hour meter then you're on the list to be changed over to a smart meter at some point regardless of whether you've solar or not

D/N meters aren't able to switched to smart meters, so if you switch to one now you won't get a smart meter until ESBN sort out the issues moving them over

I'd look closely at getting a D/N meter, you should still get your deemed export and Energia's EV plan is the cheapest night rate going

If you have a battery too you can charge it from the night rate and use it to offset some daytime usage on these dim winter days

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Ah, backward spinning meter @DC999 😎

Unless you use way more electricity per year than you produce from PV, keep well schtummm about it 😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Has anyone got the link handy to sign up for that esb thing. Not that I do any import at peak times..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

ESB Networks launch 'Is This a Good Time?' pilot to help Beat the Peak this winter.

I'm on a 24hr meter and due to get a 30 squid voucher it seems for accepting their content. They only mentioned the voucher after maybe 2 weeks of getting messages. All automated texts or emails.

Might as well get the free €30. A little reward for the many of us who promote renewable energy and energy awareness in our circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭irishchris

Strange I signed up to it and bring getting the texts and emails for few weeks now but no mention of the voucher. Assume we just have to receive messages and not reply to them or do anything?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Check your spam / junk folders? Or just wait another few days patiently, it will probably come in. All this stuff is obviously automated.

• Advertisement

Just got the welcome email

"To make the research elements of this pilot more effective, different participants may have different experiences as we test personalisation, channels, calls to action and rewards. This means you may get different communications or information than your friends and family, and some people will not be involved in all aspects of the pilot. For example, not all participants will receive invitations to sign up to additional research for various rewards. ESB employees are not eligible to receive rewards as part of this pilot."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

looks like they are doing AB testing on this. Doesnt necessarily work if its not blind!

They know I'm on the cutting edge. That must be the reason I get all those communications first. And the giftcard of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

So with gas prices easing off their all time highs for now, where do we reckon electricity prices will go over the next few months?

FWIW, my prediction is that gas prices will drop slightly but increase again in spring and Europe starts trying to refill storage. On top of that China easing COVID lockdowns and reopening their economy will drive demand for energy. So long term prices will stay high but might not reach the peaks they were at this year

So I think some of the smaller companies like Energia will drop prices a bit to undercut the competition and try and tempt a few people over, but we'll see high electricity prices into 2023, at least compared to 2020 prices

We're seeing inflation easing off, but it's still positive which means prices are still going up. There's talk of Europe entering a recession next year which may put downward pressure on prices, but that's unlikely to affect energy prices in the short term

What does everyone else think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tonight we came very close to breaking the 6,878mw record set on that fateful day the whole way back in 2010. If the cold snap continues it will be broken along with the doors of Lidl in Tallaght.

I'd see an increase in discounts (for new and renewal) first before any actual price cuts.

The gas price is still very high. (Try buying nitrogen/urea!) We're still higher than the start of this year.

I'm still on the 29c/7.9 rate, barely use any day, but gonna be well over 2000 kwh on the night rate for the Dec/Jan bill.

Although when the spring hits, my unit use is gonna be low. Car will likely be solar only from end april start of Sept. (And doing 3-400km a week)

True, I'm currently on the old 41% discount from Energia which expires in May. Currently they're not offering more than a 10% discount

I think high gas prices are here to stay, they might go down from their peaks but they're not going back down to the levels they were at the past few years

Suits me for getting solar, makes the payback a lot quicker. And in general makes renewables a lot more viable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

My Bord Gais discounts end in Feb. 29% on electricity and pretty high on gas also.

My usage is mostly shifted into the 2-5am cheap rate I have at just under 8.69c/kWh. Only saving grace in Feb/March is the payment that they're supposed to give for the export. I'm not seeing any suitable tariffs to move onto and not sure what they'd be offering now in the way of discounts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Similar situation here. Energia EV fixed rate tariff (6.67c/23.17c) is coming to an end in January. Best option looks like rolling over the Energia EV tariff at double the unit rates (13.75c/47.77c). 🥲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

There is a fairly good chance of some suppliers giving bigger discounts in the near future the way energy markets are at the moment. Wait and see is all we can do.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yeah that seems to be the best deal at the moment for electricity, all the other providers seem to have similar day rates but night rates that are double that

Silver lining is that just halved the pay back time of your battery 😂

Very glad I have more battery on the way. Should have about 40-45kWh in grid attached home batteries in the next few weeks

Anyone doing anything about the snow / ice on their panels? Making about 500W at the moment through the half inch of snow / ice, with clear panels I'd be on about 2-3kW already

Nope, just admiring the frosty panels. No snow here mind, just ice ice baby

I was about to ask about that as well, I can see a house across the road with 12 panels on their roof and 11 of them are currently covered in frost and ice

I know there's devices which can de-ice panels but I imagine they're probably more popular in Canada or Norway than here

I guess there's nothing to do but wait for the ice to melt 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

18W at the moment me - yesterday at this time 890W. Blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I've almost surpassed my total for Dec 2021 already this month.

Pulling little or no day units from the grid in December is wonderful!

1.5kW currently in iced panels

• Advertisement

Not bad. I guess your panels are not as badly iced over as our ones here in the Dublin area. Good 2cm of solid ice, starting to melt very slowly now, outside temps still -2C here but glorious sunshine. I'd be well over 3kW by now without the ice covering.

Advertisement