Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short-Term Tourist Letting Register

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

I can't rem it was something that was released few years back.

Here is one link

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30872671.html

Cheers for that

Though if the motivation is, as per the article, "down to them wanting to earn some extra income and meet people from around the world" the the same objectives can be met through the rent-a-room option too, especially where the additional income is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Just getting my head around this - is this just for second homes, not a persons PPR? we have a small b&b in a tourist town in an RPZ, open for years, no planning required as we have less than 4 bedrooms as per the local council planning requirements, So looks like now its signing up to register and go for planning - this will drive a lot of rooms off the market. This is not a long term fix. Bizarre

No it isn't, Airbnb guests for most part are out all day. You have a mixture of different people coming to stay for few nights from around the world. You might have few free nights before another couple book in. You can set your Airbnb calender to how you want to take bookings, block dates etc.

Someone in rent a room scheme is different kettle of fish, they in your house sometimes all day, every day, using your heating, cooking facilities etc. Many hosts will not do it, It's simple not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm not a home owner myself, but I can see that it won't work. If the State wants to control housing costs, it either has to build more accommodation or reduce demand. It is not doing either of these things.

It won't result in a massive number of new beds available for letting. It won't result in loads of new entrants to the rent a room scheme.

It will result in an even tighter short term accommodation market, since the State has been buying up rooms like no tomorrow. It's extra petrol on on the fire that is the tourism sector.

• Advertisement

There is so much clarity needed. Best email your local political representatives. Bord Failte website announces, every one must register with them, from renting a room to whole houses, so no one has an iota what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is the crux - that and the various factors that attract landlords more towards short term lets where they previously let longer term.

I hope it works, about time some structure was put on the model and the greater public good is considered.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭hometruths

Well said. You hit the nail on the head, and therein lies the root of most of the housing problems in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many rooms do you have let out in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

So why are they doing this bord failte register when you already have to register with the local council when doing short term letting? Will this replace that?

Sister rang bord failte today, they informed her all the bits of the legislation has not gone through the house yet. She said once it has gone through, bord faillte will have all the details on their website.

For now, people need to contact the planning dept of their local council explain to them what they currently letting on Airbnb, if it's a room or two in your own home, you fill out a form 15 and show proof of address. Even if you are in rent pressure zone you ok to let room/rooms in your own home. Then when legislation goes live, the council will contact you and you will be informed to register your short term let on the bord failte website, it will be a simple process, she said no body will be calling to your home to check for quality control or anything like that. When you register you will be given a registration number which you will then provide to Airbnb or booking.com and then you can carry on doing your short term letting.

People letting out whole apartments and houses in Rent Pressure Zones might find it much more difficult to get planning from the council in which case you won't get the registration number from bord failte to carry on with the short term letting.

Hope this clarified matters

it will be a simple process, she said no body will be calling to your home to check for quality control or anything like that.

Not yet. If you know anyone with a regular B&B you'll know how onerous the inspections are.

It'll only be a matter of time until FI say some of the standards of accommodation are crap and hurting the image of Ireland which will open up the avenue to allow them to start inspecting. Refuse the inspection, lose the registration.

Using FI allows the govt to require inspections themselves if the registration process isn't freeing up enough additional capacity in the long term rental market.

More than 1 way to skin a cat.

That's down the line and to be fair it's just a registration process with bord failte. Tourists/ travellers booking with Airbnb or booking.com will know the score, they read the reviews then book accordingly.

None, I don't have a 2nd bedroom which is suitable for longer stays.

Even if I did I don't think I'd let it out: a home office would be my priority for the space if I had it.

And if i had the luxury of a 3rd bedroom, then occasional short-term guests would be better than long term housemates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

So if we have a property that DOES have planning for short term lets, will we need to register with Failte Ireland? At the moment, we don't have to register with the council.

Absolutely everyone will have to register with bord failte. The booking sites will be requesting the bord failte registration number from you, if you don't have it you won't be allowed advertise on the sites.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

As someone that haslived alone, or with a partner in a 2 and/or 3 bed let, I have never rented out a room long-term, nor would I.

With Airbnb, I can decide that I want the house to myself for birthdays to spend with my partner, for friends to visit etc. I can block off any date I want, Like I do it at christmas a lot, and/or the new year. I can choose not to allow them access to the kitchen, I can choose quiet hours, there are no other people allowed in the house, so airbnb guests don't have visitors. I dont have to worry about them using my milk and other items and not replacing them, I can choose to have them out of the house during the day.

There is a big difference betweem sharing a house/renting out a room long term and having guests stay for 2-3 nights at a time.

If the government forced everyone with a spare room in their house to take in someone, that would also be popular with people without homes at present-Your lack of unserstanding or even the willingness to look at the points people are making, begs belief-I'm 45, Ive shared a house with someone once in my life, that was when I was in my early 20's, Ive lived in NEw york for 11 years, for 8 of those, I had a spare room-I never wanted a 'housemate', Im back in Ireland 11 years andfor 11 years, Ive had 1 or 2 spare rooms, in a town that I could rent out at the drop of a hat, but I would never, could never rent out a spare room on a lon term basis-.

that, or not renting the room out-you really seem to live a sheltered life, most airbnb guests that rent a room are lower econonomic class people, they cannot afford to pay the rates of a hotel etc to travel, some want the use of a kitvhen to keep costs down, some want to stay in a home of an actual Irish permanent resident. This will male travel for these people unaffordable, in turn reducing the amount of visitors to coffee shops and lower level restaurants etc.

But, you are failing to see the point, I feel there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

On another point, I fill my room/s for 330+- nights per year, some people do it for 20 or 50, or whatever, I will go through the process, others won't. What this means for me, is, People in my situation can raise my prices, as there is less competition. I could make more money, the same as with Ukranians filling hotel rooms, driving up the prices of the other available short term lets. Others can make more money, but it's not good for the economy in general, it's not good for Irelandas a tourist destination, it makes us even more unaffordable. I said this to my local councillors back in March, when I could foresee what would happen, lo and behold, 6 months later, they are scrambling to try and fix a problem that should have been avoided.

But, it was the populist thing to do... so they did it.

It has damaged the community spirit in many areas, this will have the same effect.

There's a big difference between popular and populist

Looks like this is aimed squarely at the "I'd rather leave it empty" folks

Councils can identify empty properties, put buyers in touch with the owners to see if it can be sold on to accommodate others.

Councils will have the power to CPO properties if it comes to that.

RTE news : Mayo plan to amend 'total blight' of vacant properties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

My sister is doing Air bnb. Maybe only about 20 or so days a year when the kids are away, just to get some money together for the family holiday. I saw this thread and sent it to her. She has already indicated she has no idea whats happening and its easier to just stop doing airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Nothing whatsoever that they have done with bureaucracy and legislation has helped to provide more housing. In fact every single thing they have tried has actually made the situation worse than it was before it. What could possibly make you think that this will be any different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Trying to understand the imminent rules and how they may affect a property I am currently considering buying.

It is currently not in an RPZ (in Kerry, outside Killarney LEA) and not registered with Failte Ireland.

My understanding is that

• It will need to be registered with Failte Ireland once the register becomes live, but that seems to be a simple self-registration process.
    • It will not need any planning permission to be let via AirBNB as it is not in an RPZ

There seems to be some semi-contradictory information online, but Kerry Coco seem pretty adamant that anything outside an RPZ isn't affected by the new regulations (https://www.kerrycoco.ie/planning/development-management/home-sharing-lettings/)

As it happens, this particular property is not really suitable for full-time living, but I'm wary about acquiring a place that I won't be able to let out for the half of the year that I won't be using it myself.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone more familiar with the imminent / new rules.

Advertisement