Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dispute over parents ashes

• 06-12-2022 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi sensitive topic here

Parent passed away and was cremated. Two siblings involved who have no relationship. One sibling (2) wants half of the ashes and the other (1) wants to have the ashes buried in a plot and has said that the other sibling can have a small portion (scatter tube) of the ashes. Sibling (2) who wants half has got a solicitor to send a letter to other solicitor requesting half of the ashes. Sibling (1) paid for the funeral and cremation and is nominated next of kin. What is the legality of this situation? Is this something that can be forced to be done? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The executor (assuming there was a will) would probably be the person whom would have the responsibility for making decisions surrounding the funeral, burial etc.

Ultimately, if there is a serious enough dispute between the parties, it could end up being determined by the courts.

My advice to the two would be to cop themselves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Deeec

Deepest condolences to both siblings. Why can't sibling 2 be given half the ashes and sibling 1 bury the other half of the ashes. Everyone is happy then.

Why cause hassle over something that can be easily solved.

I'm sure though the solicitors had a giggle over this - this problem is very trivial. - don't let your hate of each other takeover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Offer sibling 2 50% of the ashes when they have contributed 50% to the costs paid by sibling 1 of the funeral and cremation.

The other thing that needs to be buried here is any sense of entitlement...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And these responses show a very one sided approach. Many people (mostly the religious) are appalled at the idea of ashes being divided, shared, incorporated into jewellery etc. it doesn't’ bother me but to suggest that they should be bartered over for money or regarded as property is truly odd. If you don’t have any attachment to them as consisting part of the dead person’s body it might be better just to leave them to be commingled with those of others.

it’s quite possible that the other sibling has an attachment to them which would not be satisfied by a simple division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Feelings run high at a time of deep grief and something so sensitive and so very hard adds to the complexities.. Maybe let time pass .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Funeral costs would normally be taken from a deceased's estate before dispersal of rest of estate.

Of course if there were no estate then matters may be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the idea of paying to receive the ashes of a parent is distasteful in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The ashes are not a reward for paying for the funeral/cremation. They represent the persons life. The sibling thing that they bought they ashes via the funeral is the entitled one imo.

People are entitled to have their views on what should happen at burial/funeral. They don't really have any right to enforce that on others. If the person was truly appalled at the idea of dividing remains, then they would give the entire ashes away. As King Soloman showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the real world, distasteful or not, funeral directors don't release the ashes until their bill is paid.

And you've no guarantee that the urn you receive contains ashes that came from a particular person's body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

Thats complete nonsense - of course the ashes will be given to families before the funeral directors bill is paid ( unless the family is considered dodgy). Its normal for funeral expenses to be paid from the estate of the deceased - it can take months and even up to a year for this to happen. The funeral director is used to the procedure and waits for payment.

Obviously you must think all funeral expenses are paid in advance - not the case at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭blackbox

It never ceases to amaze me the things that people will get into disputes about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well that’s incorrect on both count. But regardless, I was referring to receiving the ashes from the estate/family not the funeral home. That should have been obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Is there no subject that you won’t give completely inaccurate opinions on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

This kind of thing keeps Irish solicitors happy.

“ You want me to write pointlessly to your sibling and order him to hand over 1/2 your dead fathers ashes? Sure! That’ll be €100 please! Thanks!”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The post I have made is based on actual experiences of two specific funerals.

If you think that funeral directors wait for years to be paid, you're dreaming. It was made very clear that the person who booked the funeral (me) had to pay,and was reimbursed by the estate in the fullness of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Funeral directors regularly wait to get paid if an estate has to go through probate.

Mrs O Bumble - this is not the case at all - having arranged funerals of family members myself - the funeral director waited for payment from the deceased estate and put no pressure at all was put on for payment - but they knew they would get it.

In your case the funeral director may have thought they wouldn't end up being paid so demanded payment off you - this wouldnt be normal procedure for a funeral director. I imagine the funeral director maybe wasnt aware of the family or there was good reason to suspect the family wouldnt pay.

Advertisement