Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

Saw the report referred to on Newstalks social media accounts a couple days ago. Was pleasantly surprised to see most comments not having much sympathy for people who live near an airport complaining about the noise of overhead planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

The media are a disgrace on this topic. Years ago (1988?) when rwy 10/28 replaced the old 05/23, huge numbers in Ballymun got a respite from noisy take-offs, and planes those days were a lot noisier. This was all ignored and the grievances f a much smaller number were all we heard about.

Frst question to complainers should be: "When did you but your house?", then refer them to the date when the basic orientation of the 10/28s was decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The runway is built and in use. There is nothing that’s going to stop the ramp up to it being fully operational, and it’s only going to get busier from here on in! I know it might sound harsh but that’s the reality of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Well said FFS live near an airport and even more when the future runway plans were in the public domain for so long.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

If the airport had been built from scratch within the last 10 years, with only a few years planning process, I'd have some sympathy for the homeowners.

But DUB has been operating for over 80 years now, with high levels of commercial traffic for 60 odd years. Anyone whos bought (or built) a house near the airport was well aware of it beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Also the plans for the two current main runways were first published about 55 years ago. Can't say yiz weren't warned lads.

Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if some of the issues reported are 28R departures not making their right turn early enough and making noise where they shouldn't as a result.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

With modern navigation systems, there would be very little excuse for not following the SID precisely. However some departures are given a non-standard climbout, e.g. to track 330 degrees, to facilitate traffic flow. In truth the population in the area north of the airport is sparse but it would be impossible to avoid flying over someone's house whatever the route taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

To be honest. If you buy a house and there's no overlying traffic, attend a meeting to be told there won't be but then there is. The enormously wealthy authorities should buy you a new unaffected house.

Why do we live in a world that expects 100% redress for Mica but not severe noise pollution?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

The issue appears to be the “pilot interpreted” initial first turn to the first point. Then the handover to the autopilot to pick up the SID. Look on FR24 and you will see many different versions flown and not one standard. The problem is the turn is actually flown tighter than many expected or were told.

However I’ve seen complaints on here from people who have aircraft flying over them that are above 3000ft, just some info, there is noise restrictions anywhere in Ireland once the aircraft is above 3000ft. The loudest complainant was actually being buzzed by aircraft that were above 3000ft. He was told they would actually be about .5 to 1 mile west of him. In reality that won’t change the noise he gets much.

End of the day, no matter where the aircraft fly they will be noisy for someone and as many have already said you can’t move them much anyway as the number of affected people will rocket.

The DAA are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. I live 20 miles from the airport and still hear and see airplanes, should I complain to ? Ultimately this problem was always going to happen, it happens near every major airport. People on this forum just need to ignore and move on.

To be honest if you buy a house within 10 miles of an airport and think there will be no noise issue you are a fool. The closer you are to an airport the greater the chance. Same goes for a motorway, railway, sport ground, school, concert venue, stadium, military barracks, factory, shopping centre, distribution centre etc etc etc.

As for the suggestion that they buy you a new house in an unaffected area, credibility goes out the window right there.

• Advertisement

"Enormously wealthy authorities"? These are public bodies, not some sort of private entities, and the country is struggling enough to house people who don't have a home.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

DAA doesn't get taxpayer funding so anything they offer to people who built houses long after the airport was there and complain about the noise is paid for in higher passenger fares / frieght shipping charges.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My look at it, is that the early turns off 28R are actually facilitating the departures being further away from the much higher population areas around Ashbourne and Ratoath if they were to take just a 15 degree variance. Getting the turn in early flies most heading East over manly rural North County Dublin.

The big complaints will start will happen once the morning waves proper are opened up, even if it’s from 07:00 for now.

The first right turn is predicated on when the aircraft is through 750 feet QNH. This will vary according to where the aircraft lifts off and rate of climb so there will be some variation, even before you factor in crew behaviour. This sharp turn was presumably to alleviate noise over St Margaret's in the first instance.

First turn is 650ft, but not before the departure end of the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I thought the sharp turn was only to protect the arrivals runway and maintain seperation in the case of a potential go-around, is there a noise factor as well?

I’d say what’s upsetting residents is more the trans Atlantic departures which are naturally bigger and louder, lower in the climb and they are typically routing directly over Ashbourne and Ratoath as their head West as we can see on EI105 today. Most of the TA’s take this routing which makes sense as they are heading West.

The 750ft one is for props - which I accept are not really relevant here. Mind you, since these are QNH altitudes, 650 feet will be closer to 400 feet above the airfield, which is quite different to Dublin's 28L or 10R departure procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Higher passenger fares it is then. Cost of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cost of doing business for those who built their house near the airport tbh.

Having lived in Carrington in Northwood for a couple of years, I never found aircraft noise to a problem and that's way more proximate than Ratoath or Ashbourne. But then, I went in eyes open as to where I was going to be living.

Unrelated: are there any plans to expand the preclearance terminal? It definitely has to be at capacity 9am - 1pm at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not sure if this is the right thread, first day of proper cold weather and some serious delays and issues at Dublin this morning. Looks like ground crews struggling to de-ice aircraft on time, backlog keeps building. Large chunk of the 6am wave only on their way well after 8am.

Some inbound aircraft being held on taxiways as stands aren't free.

Snow is affecting DUB this morning. AC800 is only getting on stand now after arriving at 8.55

It's not even on stand yet.

10 aircraft currently on the ground with no stands available

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

If only someone could have predicted these cold temperatures in advance and ground handling companies been able to plan accordingly.

They don't even have enough staff to handle the normal operations. Cold weather de-icing work is usually an extra job that needs even more staff to handle. Presumably these staff are pulled from another already very stretched part of ground ops, making delays build up even more. These delays are at the door of the airlines and their ground handling partners rather than DAA. From my looking at it, the airport stayed operational last night. Those cheap fares will eventually cause problems when there aren't enough staff to handle these winter events.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe the airlines could have delayed or cancelled flights rather than commit to a schedule they can't achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Were they not able to clear the snow off 28R today? Doesn’t seem to have been in operation at all this morning. Adding to delays no doubt

• Advertisement

And to no surprise at all, Ryanair are blaming the DAA and now their own handling ops

Advertisement