Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Seems to be bedlam today with many planes waiting for gates. Is there a delay on pushing back aircraft? or the morning delays causing extra congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭cml387

De icing is a problem now I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I forgot that they de-ice before pushback so makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Over 2 hrs on the ground without getting a stand, taxiing up and down and over to 10L and back in? How can this be so? Wouldn’t want to be a passenger on that plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very difficult to plan for events that can occur only six or seven times a year lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

My previous comment was very tongue in cheek. The cost cutting in Ground Handling agencies has hit rock bottom. Most airlines outsourced operations and demanded lower and lower costs. Something has to give. At least anyone who kept their handling in house can resource as they see fit. Give that up and you are at the mercy of the Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And yet an airline who has it in house is the most in ribbons today ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Friend of mine connected SYD-DOH-DUB. I'm quite sure he'll have fun observations to make about sitting on the plane for two bonus hours :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

That seems pretty stupid. Flying out of Zurich last winter the aircraft taxied to a "drive thru" de-icing station before going to the runway. No blocking of stands and the aircraft are de-iced right before take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The DAA Capital Plan includes a dedicated deicing area, I think - something that lots of other airports already have. I was in Bilbao a few months ago and they have such a pan on the way out to the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

ironic that the airline that wants everything done on a shoestring complains when the shoestring snaps and takes their eye out.

FR to Lisbon 10.5hrs late

FR to Brussels 11hrs late

How much of FRs pretax $1.4bn profit would it have cost to actually have a few more de-icers available.

Considering this temp is due to last another 8 days at least, and it’s only the start of December. What’s the quote “364 days of the year we have 2 too many de-icers, 1 day of the year we don’t have enough!”. Well Mick, every year your penny pinching bites your ass.

$1.4bn profit or $1.399bn profit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Because the main player won’t pay for it…. You get what you pay for in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Won’t pay for what? Airlines pay for the deicing service, it’s up to the airport to have an open air space to allow it to happen. Is not special infrastructure that airlines need to pay for, it’s just the basics of being a competent airport operator

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The runways and taxiways have been open all day, it’s been well documented, delays have been caused by airlines own lack of de-icing services.

The same airlines won’t pay half a cent more in fees for the airport to build and operate a car wash style de-icing facility as was suggested, hence you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Astral Nav

Very valid points raised by the last posters but bear in mind it would be very difficult to build a remote deicing bay close to (both) runways when there is already severe ramp congestion and a taxiway to the southern gate which conflicts with departures from 28L. How exactly would you accommodate aircraft taxing to de ice and then to the runway whilst handling inbounds when this is a struggle on a normal day?

Post edited by Astral Nav on

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

You don't necessarily need a remote de-icing "bay". Parallel taxiways with one dedicated to de-icing in these conditions is also done elsewhere. But again neither of these are the real issue at DUB....the real issue is not enough de-icing rigs and not enough paid professionals to operate them because the airlines won't pay. That's the start,middle and end of yesterday's catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Why is the new runway closed again today? Also I’d wager the de-icing delays are caused by lack of personnel rather than equipment or infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

We've another seven nights of sub zero temps for DUB to come according to the forecast. Ryanair will surely have to come up with some sort of quick emergency solution, the financial cost and reputational damage of cancelling 50+ flights a day for over a week won't go down too well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'd like to think things have changed since the time I worked on the ramp, but I doubt it.

Professionals? Ha, the crowd I was with, the union favourites got the job, as it was seen as a nice cushy number, much better than humping 2 or 3 tonnes of bags on a cold icy ramp. There was one second hand imported from America de ice rig, and it was utterly unreliable, not helped by the people operating and maintaining it not understanding the thing, a regular occurrence would be a phone call from ATC to the ramp office asking if the the de ice rig was in use at Stand X, as they could see huge clouds of black smoke from that area, the cause was simple, it was built to use JetA1 (kerosene) in the burner, but it got filled with Green diesel, so it wasn't burning correctly or clean, the burner area used to end up sooted up, so then not operating correctly, and the de ice fluid was then often at the wrong temperature. If you didn't know different, it looked like someone had set fire to a pile of old tyres.

The next week could indeed be interesting, but nothing much will change any time soon, it's the nature of the way things work at the airport.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

In a little over 10 years we've had the 2 cold spells at either end of 2010 and also storm Emma in 2018 and yet it appears that some operators haven't learnt a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I doubt much will change. Airlines would prefer to cancel flights at a typically loss making time of year than invest in better equipment and keeping properly trained staff with better pay and conditions. Accountants running an airline results in situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

The issue for Ryanair in particular though is its not just cancelling a handful of undersold flights. Its cancelling 50~ like yesterday, and having huge delays for scores of other flights, from one of their two main hub airports. That impacts their very tight schedule across all of Europe.

An undersold morning flight from DUB to BHX that was delayed for 5 hours and then cancelled because the plane couldn't get off the ground might have a plane that was due to subsequently fly on a sold out BHX->AMS route after touching down from Dublin, and from AMS to MAD later than evening. The one delay in DUB has multiple knock-on effects on the flight schedule.

Its just not sustainable for operations to have a significant portion of their fleet tied up in severe delay/cancellation limbo every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Indeed, however sometimes accountants running airlines have good outcomes.

Airlines not run by accountants might have twenty or thirty lads with expensive training and expensive equipment standing by for events that might occur say twice a year.

In situations where prices are pared down to the limit , these lads wandering around and equipment lying idle might ,just might, be seen as burdens on the bottom line.

Accountants might balance one against the other and come to the conclusion that the risk of extreme bad conditions fallout weather wise is worth taking.

Joxer taking the ‘extended’ down to Alicante at €90 a pop return would more than cover the risk they might say?

Just sayin’… big picture view.

Both Ethiopian flights went to SNN this morning aswell instead of DUB.

You do.

Think about it, think of all the other airports in the world that do it. It’s a large separate area on the airfield….why ? Again because the airlines each do their own thing. How would parallels work with Swissport, service air, Ryanair and Aerlingus de-icers all trying to operate simultaneously ? Who controls the taxiways and the de-ice operation, who Co-ordinates the multiple contractors, fluid collection, aircraft movements, sequencing etc etc etc

The current model would work if the cheap assed accountants running the airlines spent a few quid on ground ops.

A de-ice pad would work but it would need to be one contractor for every airline at the airport, the same for “parallel taxiways”, which would need a company willing to only work random days occasionally over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Qaanaaq

But what about the personnel needed to operate it? This is the main problem rather than equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/12/11/dublin-airport-reports-fewer-delays-as-snow-and-ice-teams-work-overnight/

A suggestion of a normal window of up to 90 minutes between being deiced and departure seems optimistic to me but I am not an expert in the subject.

Not ignoring that fact, but you’d need to have the equipment first to then crew it wouldn’t you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Sure the tower yesterday was covered in fog.Mate was waiting to push back and heard in the radio that the tower was asking other aircraft had they visual with other aircraft.

Advertisement