Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

not gonna happen here though, it's almost impossible to get detained as an irish citizen for all manner of crimes so i can't see them having the wherewithal to set up detainment centres, it just wouldn't happen in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I really do hope the refugees & asylum seekers start protesting with the local people in Eastwall as well. Communal showers between woman, kids & men who we dont know anything about. No locks on doors, being able to clearly see others in other rooms and cubicles. Its a disaster waiting to happen, not only is it a health concern, its a huge safety concern too. Whats going to happen if someone is attacked in there?

This is the problem when you have ministers like McEntee & Roderic O'Gormain trying to virtue signal & paint Ireland as the good boys in the class without having any proper understanding of the situation behind it & that you cant just throw a lot of people into an office block. Of course we all know whos behind it, Mr.Woke Varadkar himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

You just dont let them in without a passport.

Thats just NORMAL.

so you just leave them in the airport corridors or what?

• Advertisement

back on the same flights they came in on,or same route asap. CCTV at every gate. security wiating for problem routes.

Detention centers until then. Its about 4 a day, whats the problem exactly?

sigh. you can't put someone on a plane with no id.

Sure you can, stop them getting through the gate.

Back on the plane mate dont take the piss!

Was done till couple of years ago. See the same at other airports overseas.

This isnt complicated it just takes money and effort.

When the word gets out the scam is not worth the effort they will look for other easy targets.

an airline will not take a passenger who cannot be identified and has no passport

Yeah airlines will.be fined huge bucks in many countries for allowing passengers to arrive in countries with no valid visa or ID.

Check the cctv, passenger manifests, wait for them on the tarmac. .go piss off out of our country scammers.

still no ID or willing to identify themselves? Cold detention cells.

• Advertisement

why wait for them on the tarmac? you can't put them back on the plane. waste of manpower and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This crap about "vetted/unvetted" is beyond daft. Most of Ireland isnt vetted. Big bloody deal. Its just far right propaganda to paint all foreigners as a threat.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But there's a huge difference between regular people travelling into a country for business or leisure and a refugee claiming asylum. A refugee is not a visitor to the state or on a holiday, they are requesting sanctuary from the country.

I read recently that around 40% of refugees have never even possessed a passport - they have probably never left their country before and then are forced to flee at short notice.

The point is we dont know who these people are. They could be ISIS operatives !

And dont tellme they couldn't because it is not so long ago terrorism stalked a lot of European cities.

Could literally be anybody.

MaSSIVE security risk in my opinion.

Get em out.

How d ya rhink they got on the plane exactly plus passed immigration at the departing airport?

Any tom dick and harry rock up and say Im an asylum seeker and we let them in at the gates?

No. Esepcially unknown identities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Most of Ireland isnt vetted

Even for yourself, this is ridiculous. Irish citizens are all but vetted, especially those who've lived here all our lives, because when we commit a crime it goes on a system. Our new guests are unknowns to us, because we don't know who they are, so we can't see what they've done or haven't done in their own country.

You're just mindlessly parroting this nonsense over and over again.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

And therein lies the problem

given ghat they boarded with ID it would take hours to find out who they are

the next stage of course is to be prepared to immediately send home any and all from safe countries who has not applied in advance

I don’t understand the pushback to this, as surely deporting these people would ensure better conditions for those with a valid claim

i'm not against it, but if they destroy their ID there's no way of putting them on a plane

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

This pigeon holing of "far right" is beyond intellectually lazy at this stage. A five year old could tell you that if you destroy your documents, you're hiding something - could be something very minor, nonetheless its highly suspicious and unusual . Do you genuinely not consider that behaviour a red flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

When you are forced to flee at short notice you go to the nearest safe country, the ones we get change continents n get 3-4 flights to get to the land of milk n honey welfare state!

• Advertisement

Don’t be ridiculous. There is if a government puts them on the plane. They’ll hardly be checking in like you and me

on what plane? the one they came on? the airline wont take them without ID

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

According to the Minister for Justice, 5600 people were refused "leave to land" at Dublin Airport this year up until September, including 5000 asylum seekers (these would be people refused entry to the country and immediately deported), so the idea that there is a big free for all going at immigration is actually nonsense.

Have you a link to this data that most of the country is vetted?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Oh my god. They won’t be checking in and boarding like you and me. They will be put on the plane by the state as we’d have found out who they are, and furnished with some kind of temporary travel document. Your obstinacy is quite incredible

I was referring to the propaganda terminology of "unvetted males"

Terry Pratchet

so you mean after they've been detained and held and investigated for a while, which could take a long time?

what kind of temporary travel document would airlines accept? and what countries would accept people arriving with these documents?

I’m not discussing this with you any more. You’re being ridiculous. The government can put anyone on a plane that they like, having arranged with the country of original of the deportee. These people should be gone and I firmly believe that they should be detained in the meantime

can they though? you're making it out like they can just put them on a plane and send them off when they have no passport. I think it could take months or years to actually get this in place. You would have to get whatever country's embassy involved, if you could even determine where they're from. If they flew from France for e.g. why would France have to take them over Ireland, another EU country? France would just say you're not sending them here, they have no ID.

You can't just put people on a plane unless you're the USA sending them to Guantanamo Bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

The state of public discourse today. Don’t like something? Just say it’s “far right”, or “woke” if you’re on the other side. It’s so intellectually lazy from both sides and stifles any nuanced discussion on these generally complex and multifaceted issues.

I needed Garda vetting when I went to Canada - are they far right? No. They just don’t know who I am. Seen as I’m not a criminal I had absolutely no issue with providing them with this information nor did I think it was anything but reasonable from their end. I could be anyone after all.

Likewise these new entrants coming with no documentation could be anyone. Can you really not empathise and understand that people living in the adjacent areas might have some genuine concerns that criminals might be amongst those being placed near them? Or are they only causing a fuss because they’re all far right racists?

Advertisement