Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Any sign of any snow yet? Looking good here in North East Kildare. Gone very cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

A good lot of it has melted but still quite a bit around in Sandyford

Temp back down to 1.8 now (can’t say what the max was because my gauge needs to be moved after a tree came down). Beautiful day today though and a big long walk - the dog is a bit of a wuss in the cold 🙄

The layer on the bench out back is almost frozen solid - not quite all the way through but will be interesting to see if it does harden fully later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

.....and just like that on the walk home from school at 315 the sun disappeared behind a fog.... grey and bitter cold was miserable. Couldn't wait to get indoors. Other half mentioned a white dusting of snow in Blanchardstown around this time.

Lots of sports tomorrow around the country tomorrow brrrrrrrrrr.

Meath 1⁰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fog has finally arrived here now to, could see it edging closer all afternoon, visibilty gone fairly bad in the space of 10 minutes, temperature is -1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I'd say that just low cloud associated with fog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was in Mount Merrion earlier for an appointment, the roads there were utterly treacherous, looks like they got a fair amount last night. Wouldn't fancy driving there after dark. Callary road in particular had hard compacted snow and was impossible to even stand on. I had to hold on to the car when getting out and navigating my way to the pavement which was actually alright as it was dry crispy snow and not that slippy, driving was frankly terrifying on the road.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Lovely sunny day in Waterford. Down to -1 now. The warm water I put out earlier has a layer on ice on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks increasingly likely that some hail/snow showers will come on-shore in the east tomorrow evening. Whatever falls from now on is likely to be around for many days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Arome brings showers onto the east coast from tomorrow night into Sunday morning. Looks mostly light at this point, hopefully the models are undercooking the potential.

Harmonie also showing some light showers possible on Sunday.

Arpege brushes some showers onto the east coast but the showers die almost immediately after landfall.

Icon builds alot of precipitation over the Irish sea from tomorrow night but on this particular run it fails to really have any impact on us and mostly stays just off the coast.

GFS 12z does something very simialr to the Icon, builds showers but they fail to reach us properly staying out in the sea.

Hopefully more upgrades for tomorrow night and Sunday on the models by the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Stunning day at the Hellfire Club with the snow cover and freezing fog in the distance. Pics to come later.

• Advertisement

With temperatures dropping again, looks like Athenry and Oak Park will get a full 24hr (midnight to midnight) of subzero temps. A couple of other stations might be thereabouts. Barring superfreezes like 2010, doesn't happen terribly frequently.

Also temperatures across most of Ireland were lower than the Scottish Highlands today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Freezing Fog at Dublin airport

EIDW 091730Z 26008KT 230V290 0900 FZFG BKN001 BKN002 OVC003 M01/M01 Q1009 TEMPO 1500

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Put up the outside lights tonight in cork, felt really seasonal putting up Christmas lights with the grass crunching away below in a hat and gloves + being able to see your breath. Loving this spell... And the blue skies.. class

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Car reading between 1C and 1.5C on the way home hete near Tralee and drove through a rain shower, glad to get home out of it, roads could be very tricky later, big clouds slowly rolling in from the coast and could see some heavier showers in the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

Left for work this morning with -6c on the car thermometer, travelling East (Laois to Carlow) I noticed the temps rising to -1c once out of the freezing fog. Roads were surprisingly good, the lack of any precipitation has helped a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

In reply to poster about Mt Merrion: This is our neck of the woods and we got out of the estate without slipping around thankfully. Nearly 2 inches of snow on the car this morning, frozen. But we were rear-ended by a large 4x4 at the roundabout trying to get on the m50. Goes to show it's not the car, it's the driver that needs to navigate the conditions well. Everyone got a fright but both parties all ok. A little damage. Definitely no grit on approach roads to the m50 (around the Beacon area).

It was very hairy all the way to Fermoy before conditions eased. -3.5 degrees consistently on the dash. The 2 inches of iced snow didn't melt off the bonnet or roof until Fermoy (we did scrape away as much as possible from the front to avoid getting blinded). I don't want to repeat that experience, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Tullamore Rural.

Current Temp -3 c

Freezing fog persisting .

Freezing since 5pm yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy shower a short time ago here near Tralee, place like an ice rink, Black ice, 0.7C, couldn't even walk down the slope outside the front door ! I ain't moving tonight, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

@random_banter Some 4x4 drivers think they're invincible in snow and ice, but as I always say, it makes no difference to your brakes.

Just in from my third dog walk of the day. She was like Bambi out there. It's unbelievably slippy in my neck of the woods (D12).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Frost and freezing fog lingered here all day. Whatever about snow, which is pretty much guaranteed to fall at some stage in every winter, there is nothing like days like this. Sacred due to their rarity. Everything white with frost that looks like something out of Dicken's novel and only made all the more special that it occurring on this side of Christmas.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sudocremegg

Been working the night shift driving around Waterford county past two nights. It's cold but the lack of wind makes it very bearable. Lack of rain are making the roads alright too. Lowest temp I've seen is -1.5 up the hills but generally its sticking to 0c in the main county. Tonight might be a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Nice pics of the snow around Dublin. ECM looking to prolong this cold spell and there is a good chance of snow next week. Very cold across Carlow today with thick fog and temps never really getting above -2C during daylight hours. The ground has gone rock hard everywhere. Backroads are lethal in places. Take care if venturing away from salted main routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

We'd take that 2am Sunday chart all day. 9mm/hr Precip for even half an hour would translate to 5 or 10cm of snow which would stay largely on the ground for almost a week the way things looks to be going.

(Edit: they're the orange stripes for Garaupel, sorry. Misread it as the 9-10mm/hr gradient.. still 3-5mm/hr which would be a nice top up if it fell as snow)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Niall145

Dublin Mountains (Ticknock, Three Rock etc) are winter wonderland at the moment, proper fairytale scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

Any chance of the freezing fog clearing away from East coast tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow/graupel showers approaching the east coast this time tomorrow night on the ICON. As mentioned earlier most of what falls and settles won't be going anywhere anytime soon especially anywhere sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Down to -1 already now in cork city according to my app, it's probably colder though, paths are all glistening and car started to freeze well over an hour and a half ago

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

No thaw at all here in Dublin 15. The local wow.met.ie station is reading -1c. Had a fun evening out with the delighted kids who had a big snowball fight. Wore my ice grips from 2010 and didn’t slip at all. Here’s some photos of the gorgeous sunrise over the frozen lake in the park this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So through the day and into the night No thaw at all in mid and north Kildare.

The council have done what I would call a very minimal “sure what harm” job - 1 slight dusting of grit on the motorways.

Nothing whatsoever on the national roads or back roads.

The main roads into north naas are treacherous black ice for example.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement