Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The refugee women have only been at East Wall 24hrs and have already experienced sexual harassment by the men inside. A North African woman speaking to the mirror in East Wall agreed with the reasoning behind the locals protesting and why...literally confirming the locals concerns.

"there is males and they can see us, they can spy at us.".... “clash of cultures” among the refugees with many coming from different countries and different religions"...“they stare at us in a bad way”...“We agree with the protests, we feel it’s not racist at all, it’s okay to protest. Myself, I can support you,....“woman are unsafe”....“the protest are correct, not racist”.

The Government and their 0% VAT media can no longer use this ‘far-right & racist’ nonsense on. Absolute liars!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

have you never had to show a passport when flying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭donaghs

I don't see why the can't put a system in place to match-up people who leave a plane, with the identity they used to get on a plane. Seems sensible from a security and terrorism/people trafficing point of view also.

Passport control is a form of vetting. Border security is much more sensible that trying scrutinise everyone in a country. Unless you want to just get rid of passport control as its intrusive asking people "where are you from?", and also discriminatory: "eu" and "non-eu" queues, etc.

But he / she is not showing it to irish authorities. Hence return to where it was produced and shown first to establish his her identity.

• Advertisement

ok so the person gets off the plane, goes to passport control, claims asylum or whatever. so you're telling me they just march the guy back to the plane he came from or what? they have no idea who he is, they wouldn't let him on the plane. what plane do they bring him to exactly? and how would you establish their identity even if you contacted the place they flew from?

"we've a georgian looking bloke here, no information about him, can you tell us who he is? he wont tell us what plane he was on either or he could be lying about where he came from"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The government tried to pull a fast one and moved some women and children in with the single males. It has backfired dramatically.

The women have stated that they feel unsafe with the men, who constantly stare at them, and are willing to join the protestors. Roddy didn’t see this coming.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/inside-east-wall-refugee-centre-28689129?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

• many airports use biometrics as standard, its not complicated - Boarding pass details (which includes the passenger name)
    • Passenger photo (taken as identification backup)
    • Facial biometric algorithm results (taken as the primary identification)
    • Liasion with Eurodac

Upon entry to country, lack of ID becomes irrelevant once access to .this database is used. Is Dublin Regulation still be applied? Then biometrics can inform assessment on Eurodac database.

It really shouldn't be complicated, the government are acknowledging they have no control over who enters the country, they are then rewarding this criminal behaviour (because it is a criminal offence regardless of our individual opinions) and are nonchalant in rectifying it.

What are we going to do to establish who he is then. What makes it our responsibility. He boarded with his documents at his departure. Must have been shown several times before departure usually depending on airport.

It was intentional to lose said documents so its shenanigans on his part. Why not transport him back stating this guy had no documents hence no entry. Not to hard a rule to allow for international travel with the choice being his of course of ensuring arrangements can be made to make contact with embassy or his people to attain said documents and ascertain his temporarily lost identity within a reasonable timeframe. And hes held until its green lighted if not back on the plane buddy.

So if I arrived in say Oz or Canada with no passport. Your saying I'd be kept indefinitely there. I would in my shite.

the airline wont let him back on the plane lol. I know you all fantasise about just dumping them on a plane and sending them back but it currently just isn't possible. if you went to oz or canada without being able to speak english and without any documents you might be there for a while yeah.

• Advertisement

not any airports have that photo thing in place, i think it used to be in gatwick but it's not any more. so until that's in place in most airports your plan isn't going to work.

Is that not a warranted concern? you destroy ID ergo you've something to hide. 700 % increase from last year in destroying ID on entry. Europol and Interpol exist for a reason. A large proportion of people working or volunteering are content to be vetted - anyone in health/education/sport, even to join my local community group require vetting. Normal process - why actively seek to avoid it?

This avoidance is again a red flag. The propaganda terminology as you call it wouldn't exist if the active avoidance wasn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Jesus Those that put these women in this situation need to take a long hard look in a mirror. I can't say I am surprised at all. Even as a man you would feel unsafe with just random other men you have no idea about.

It's the airlines responsibility though.

It was "lost" in transit so yea full cost on them for return flight.

Nah sure oz would put ya up in 5 star accommodation and give ya full citizenship when your there for the few months trying to figure out who you are. Ffs😁

Your trying to justify fraudulent anonymity and potentially endangering populace with an unknown person entering a country. Why have security checks at all so.

Why just not have people exiting plane on the tarmac and just running in all directions from it. Be grand.

There might have our own boyos here walking around here with 50 odd convictions but at least there known to the guards. What do we know about this chapy.

He might be jesus christ too. We dont know do we.

well they don't put you in 5 star accom or give you citizenship in ireland either

i'm not trying to justify anything, just pointing out that this is going to continue to happen as there are no measures to control and send people to places after destroying their ID. some kind of international security arrangements could be made for this, but that wont be happening any time soon, if ever, it'd be years away anyway.

meanwhile we'll just have to keep taking these gentlemen and putting them up whether we like it or not!

so why the lack of political will not to put the system in place? one would think that national security is of paramount importance for each country. the nonchalant attitude negates any efficacy in terms of interpol/europol. this blasé approach doesn't equate with the stringent airport security since 9/11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dont be ridiculous. Your garda vetting is irrelevant. It absolutely is far right propaganda to smear all migrants, asylum seekers and refugees as a threat.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

True, but they do have passports or identification

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They are a threat until we know who they are, where they’re from and why they are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The passport / ID thing is a red herring though. Destroying your documents probably only buys you a little extra time in the country in which you have arrived. Once the authorities have established your real identity (they have many ways of doing it), they can immediately deport you from the country if they decide you are not a genuine asylum seeker. There is no way people who can't even prove their identity or what country they have come from are being granted asylum.

• Advertisement

Maybe because they haven't been a threat to national security?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Society works on a level of trust. That trust is put into question when you board a flight with ID then arrive at the destination without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,136 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They’re not, and there’s no ‘we’, there’s just you who’s making that argument, as though you have a right to that information. You don’t, neither does Peadar -

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-02-01/596/#pq-answers-596

For non-EU citizens residing in Ireland, each individual immigration case is assessed under the criteria set out in Section 3(6) of the Immigration Act 1999 (as amended). These criteria include the age of the person, their duration of residence in the State, the family and economic circumstances of the person, their character and conduct, including any criminal convictions and considerations of national security and public policy. The individual’s ‘character and conduct’ is assessed both within and (where relevant and ascertainable) outside the State. Any and all criminal convictions are considered, including violent crime. An Garda Síochána notify my Department of matters which may be relevant to its considerations. Equally, any permission granted can be revoked if the individual fails to obey the laws of the State or becomes involved in criminal activity.

Why is this not happening then ?

This is one of the things that has yet to be established - are immigrants seeking asylum arriving without ID, or are they arriving with what later turns out to be fraudulent or incomplete papers, and is that what’s meant by ‘undocumented’?

I haven’t been able to find any definitive meaning for ‘undocumented’, and I’ve not been able to find any evidence of passports or papers being destroyed mid-flight either. That appears to be more of an assumption than an established fact.

What do you mean why isn’t it happening? In between the parts you emphasised in bold, it explains that it IS happening.

Had them in Spain I think last time I was there. Scan your passport and facial reading. Makes so much sense. I'd offer a stool sample if it helped.

Nothing to hide me 😁

Working illegally is breaking the law. Over staying on a visa is breaking the law. Claiming pandemic unemployment when not meeting the requirements is breaking the law.

• Advertisement

Ahh, I get you now, as in when their permission to remain in the State is revoked, why aren’t they immediately being deported?

Surely it’s been established by now that the deportation process can take anywhere from months to years to be completed?

It’s happening, but it’s happening at a snails pace.

Advertisement