Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

Hot Mess also predicted that it’s be 2066 before a nuclear plant would come online if we started the process now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there only something like 20 installation vessels world-wide and the vessels themselves take about 5 years to build...

Yes, I know that. Nuclear isn’t going to get us this hole (though I am of the opinion that fast forward 100 years and everything will be nuclear. If they’re powering Mars missions with nuclear engines, then reactors will be very small)

it was more about these glib predictions thrown around that offshore wind is going to solve our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The point is that you are ignoring the fact that renewables are relatively new technology that are improving and getting cheaper and more efficient all the time in favour of the literal nuclear option, an option that has proven time and time again, even when implemented by countries that have decades of experience with it, to be subject to massive overruns of time and cost and to be very unreliable in terms out promised output.

Despite what you say, we have zero idea how much it might cost to build nuclear plants in Ireland, no idea where to build them and no idea how to regulate or run them.

Is that an on paper 95% or its a guaranteed, proven out in the real world over multiple years?

The experience on this thread (years of being off-line etc) would seem to indicate the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The real point which yoy are at pains to avoid is that for just the offshore section of this ESB plan, even without all the hydrogen cost add-ons the cost is three to four time more expensive than Poland`s nuclear price to provide the same generation.

If you think renewables are getting cheaper then you need to take a look at Seimens, Vestra, and General Electrics end of year results and see what they have to say on turbines.

Whether you like it or not nuclear will provide over 90% of its generating capacity come rain, wind or sunshine.

We have seen here over the last few years where wind for extended periods has generated as low as 6%

Whether you like it or not it wont generate diddly squat when its turned off for one of the myriad of reasons that nuclear reactors are currently taken offline.

You have been given examples in this thread where plants have been out of action and been net consumers of energy for multiple years.

btw its interesting that we lost 5% in the space of 1 post...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

Whether you like it or not that is just not relevant to our situation. Nuclear is out of the running for any 2050 target.

Stop with your constant codology.

You were just recently directed to the ESB video, and were forced to admit you had already seen, but somehow or other had completely slipped your mind.

• Advertisement

What does Poland's cost have to do with Ireland's cost exactly? Are they building it for us? Is there an extension lead I don't know about?

For someone that cannot provide a single figure for this 30 gigawatt plan you, are very quick to question verifiable prices.

Why is that ?

Your "verifiable" prices are :

a) On paper

b) For a different country

c) For a different time period than we would be implementing them

Other than that they are bang-on reliable & useful.

If you are unsure where I am going with this, take a look at the cost of building a hospital in Ireland, I'm sure you can find some recent examples :)

Whether you like it or not that 6% is very relevant, It`s the reason this crazy amount of spend is being proposed under this 30 gigawatt plan.

They are in comparison to U.K. offshore prices so are you saying you do not agree with those U.K. prices ?

I would tend to agree, and if you are looking for comparisons take a look at our latest RESS auction prices for wind compared to the U.K.

Btw, the difference in prices over time are generally related to inflation. Everything goes up at the same rate.

I'm beginning to think you didn't even watch that video as it had nothing to do with what you constantly go on about i.e. some mythical ESB plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I think we are burning serious amounts of fossil fuel to fuel the green agenda

whats going on is we’re going to run out of oil some time, but we don’t no when. could be a thousand year’s who knows.

So what we’re doing is burning all our reserves & resources at rapid rates today to build new technology that’ll do the same job as the technology we’re using now anyway.

it’s madness

and I don’t think anything like our Air, oceans, rivers, drinking water, grasslands, city’s has gotten any better in fact there all getting worse.

As regards Poland even is the price doubled due to delays it would still be, just for the offshore section of this plan nuclear would still be between a third and a half less expensive.

I really do not get this mad rush to spend an absolute fortune before 2030 on something we do not even know the total cost of, or even if it will work, where financially we have just one shot at getting it right, and every chance of getting it wrong and bankrupting the country. Even for what it would cost even getting it right could easily bankrupt the country. .

We are told this is a global problem but the world and it`s mother knows that globally that 2030 hasn`t a hope of being a reality. You only have to look at the major emitters to see that .

China at number 1 are building coal powered plants and smelting plants to beat the band. For the first 8 months of this year there coal output was up 332 million tonnes (13%) compared to last year, and 520 million tonnes (22%) compared to pre pandemic 2019.

At number 3 is India and at number 5 Japan, who both made it very clear at COP26 last year where they stood when it came to their economies and burning coal. Even Germany at number 6, the force behind these E.U`s percentages are now back strip mining and buying coal from one of the most environmentally unfriendly strip mines on the planet in Columbia.

Ryan and greens seem to still believe that these 2030 figures are globally achievable based on nothing other than the rest of the world is following our example. Reality is that the world could not care less what we do.

Remind me again who presented that video. Do you think she did it off her own bat and the ESB knew nothing about it ?🤣

It`s the plan you and greens favor as well is it not. Even if none of you can give a figure on costs.

🤦‍♂️

I'm now convinced you haven't watched it

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, here's the ESB's actual plans for offshore wind

The only 30GW reference is where its mentioned in the PfG

More details emerging on the Kerry, community led, offshore wind project, for 1GW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If nuclear reactors are a mature technology why did EDF just arrange another 14 years of financing for Hinkley-C ?? a reactor that's already 10 years late.

Hydrogen technology is mature and is already in use at grid scale. Better technology is being developed so the currents costs of £1.50/watt for a 100MW system will be improved on. The Rough Gas Storage facility which should be able to hold at least 10TWh of hydrogen was closed to save £75m a year.

For example we don't know for certain if bio-methanol could replace petrol. We do know that methanol powered the IndyCar racing in the US from the mid 1960's until a sponsor got them to change to the closely related ethanol in 2007 so it's a pretty safe bet if the plastics and seals are up to it.

I am saying that you are comparing foreign costs for something that we have never had anything to do with (Nuclear) with Wind Turbine costs which we are experienced in and using that to shout at clouds.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

following discussion with user tom1ie threadban lifted

I still haven`t a clue what point you are trying to make. Nobody had anything to do with nuclear until they did.

France`s first nuclear plant came on line in 1962 and nuclear regularly provides 70% of their needs as well as being year on year Europe`s top exporter of electricity. Sweden`s first plant went on line in 1971 and that plant for the next 46 years generated 110,000,000 MWh of climate friendly electricity as well as Sweden becoming Europe`s top exporter of electricity this year.

The UAE connected it`s first nuclear plant to its grid in 2020, its second in 2021, its third in 2022 and their fourth is under construction. Bangladesh, Egypt, Poland and Turkey are building their first nuclear plants with a number of others either considering or further down the line on their first. Countries who already have nuclear plants like France, Argentina, India etc are either adding to their numbers or have committed to. .

If, as you say we are so experienced with wind turbines then I assume you can easily tell me the cost of just the turbine section of this 30 gigawatt offshore plan. Yes or no ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Right now Nuclear power in Sweden has dropped to 22% when it should be 31% 4.378GW of 6.88G5W installed is 63%

I'm reminding people that nuclear isn't as reliable as claimed.

Sweden gets half it's power from hydro.

• Advertisement

No idea. But it doesn`t appear to bother the U.K as they seem happy enough to go ahead with EDF on Sizewell C.

Hydrogen has not been operating to the scale that would be required with this proposed offshore plan, and still no costings for construction, production, storage, distribution or desalination of seawater construction and operational costs. In fact if you look at the hydrogen part of the ESB plan on storage (especially who their partner is for storage), along with the distribution it is a bit all over the place.

Not that ethanol has anything to do with this ESB plan, but ethanol is not carbon neutral. It does emit 40% - 50 % less GHG than petrol, but per gallon produces 35% less energy which would leave that reduction around 12% rather than 40%-50% .

Still, every little helps. How keen Eamon and green would be on ethanol is another matter. Everything that is noot carbon neutral is a no no no way. Even for some that are like nuclear.

Post edited by charlie14 on

Advertisement