Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off to Cork on holiday for 4 nights, should I use Zoe EV R135 or bring old megane diesel.

• 27-11-2022 3:44pm

We are off to Cork for five days and plan on visiting Fota (1 night stay) , Cobh, Cork city, Clonakilty, (2 nights), then on to Schull (1 night) and back through Kenmare to Mullingar. It is about 600kms round trip. Recently we have been let down by faulty chargers and EV places blocked by parked cars. Last week on way to a party in Celbridge I got to 1 percent, Enfield charger in services was broken, Tesco was blocked (car app said cars had been parked 3 hours. Should I use Zoe EV R135 or bring old megane diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Is that the version with CCS charging? If so then you might be okay, the advantage with the Zoe is you've got fast DC and fast AC, best of both worlds

Do you have destination charging at any of the places you're staying? If so then you could be okay, I'd be wary otherwise

If you do go it might be worth getting an extra long charging cable. That way if anyone blocks a charger you can just park nearby and stretch the cable to the charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭handpref

Reminds me of @DrPhilG ‘s ice breaker cable from back in the day ….

For what it’s worth I did Dublin to Youghal last week, went in an ice, left the id3 at Kilcullen where two cars were charging, 4 waiting, stopped in Dungarven, Scp occupied and 50kw was busy.

I could have done it in the 77kw id3 but didn’t have the time for faffing and waiting at chargers, particularly as it was an out and back in one day (probably only needed one good charge but not knowing I could rely on finding a not busy, broken or iced charger I played it safe, was glad I did given what I found on the way).

BUT if you have lots of patience and time to spare, and don’t mind waiting for chargers to become free etc bring the Zoe ….you could also get lucky and breeze it …

Yeah I think there's no way it's going to be a hassle free trip. Kind of pushing the Zoe to its limits

Having said that, the Zoe has a secret weapon with the 22kW AC charging, a stopover for lunch and a walk on any ESB AC charger and the car is charged up again.

Combine that with destination charging and you'd likely be good to go

I should get down to clonakilty leaving home on 100% charge, no charger in that hotel but I think Fota have one. I will need a full charge in Kenmare

Normally we only ever do max 200km in one day and we have a home charger.

Shocking that I'd happily drive anywhere in Western Europe in an EV but a trip to Kerry or Donegal will have me p!ssing myself in terror

• Advertisement

Normally I would not be concerned but the 1% issue last week left me questioning the Cork trip. It is not the car

Like I said, if you can guarantee destination charging then you're probably okay, otherwise you're going to struggle

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

With the Zoe, you'll be grand. You have 2 options at fast chargers. Destination charging would be nice, but not a necessity. You'll find on-street charging down there.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

Fota Island Resort have installed pay to use chargers now. The two tesla chargers were still there as well & I think the 3kw esb was still there too.

Clonakilty Easygo, Skibbereen ecars & bantry easygo all have ccs charging as well now as does Kenmare

UPDATE

We used the Zoe. The journey went really well. Chargers in Clon were handy. Fota Island has chargers. Drove to Inchidoney on a single charge, on the last day the hotel opened its 4 new EV chargers. we used the chargers in Cork city and Cobh too. We drove down to Mizenhead. The car is a bit stiff for the Cork backroads.

Cork has free parking for some EV chargers but not all.

Charged in Cashel Ionity for 10 minutes on the way home. As usual some fcukhead was parked in the charging bay sleeping in his van at 4;30pm. Anyone recognise this company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Glad it went well. I assume you knocked loudly on the window to get the man to move his van?

Stay Free

No, someone else got to him. It looked heated. ID4 driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Fairy ignorant to park there when there's usually a fairly empty truck carpark.

Advertisement