Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Can I just check about the dancing, what is it that has been such an affront to the people?

Asking cause when I see the African teams do it it's celebrated and I see people enjoying the vibrance and excitement and fun and all that, that it brings.

Do the same people also really get bothered when other teams dance I suppose is the question?

Then further onto the, why would anyone dancing genuinely upset you? If we have some time.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Neymar the coward wanting to take the 5th peno. Best player on the pitch modric steps up early. Never got the hype around Brasil it's full of hot and cold attacking players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Lisandro Martinez strating for Argentina tonight, which apparently means they're switching to 5 at the back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I think if Alisson stood up, a la Packie Bonner, he saves the first two.

Orsic took the best penalty of the 9, by miles. No goalkeeper was saving that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ray Houghton is gas. Delighted to be there. He can’t wait for the match. Football fan first, ex pro second.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Modric is brilliant, no doubt, and deserves all the plaudits, but I just can’t get excited about watching Croatia. Was the goal the first shot they had on target ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Modric is just different class, but I would hate to see Croatia win it. They spent the entire game nullifying Brazil(very well to be fair) but essentially playing for penalties from the start. Even when they were controlling the midfield they weren’t really doing anything constructive with it.

Fully expect them to play exactly the same against either the Dutch or Argentina, so I hope whoever wins that can at least get an early goal and make a game of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tough to call Netherlands vs Argentina. I'd be surprised if there's much in it. I'll go for Argentina to edge it. Maybe Di Maria off the bench to stick it to Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

its an EXTREMELY defensive team Argentina have picked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm starting to think the likes of Pirlo and Xavi were over-rated when compared to Modric. They certainly didn't have the same all-round game, or engine, as Modric anyway. Modric walks onto my best ever 11, dating from around 1998 onwards:

Buffon

Thuram-Cannavaro-Vidic-Maldini

Keane-Modric

Messi-Zidane-C.Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i think its not being humble in victory is what annoys people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's today's world, everything triggers someone, no matter how innocuous the act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

0-0 written all over this one, hopefully I'm wrong

An article on Sky Sports about the Brazil Croatia game calls it "one of the biggest upsets in the tournament's history"

A bit of a stretch I think. Not sure I'd even put it in the top 3 shocks of this year's tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Nowhere near a huge upset. Croatia were finalists last time out and are still a very good side.

Spot on, it wasn't exactly Senegal v France 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

no rush in this game anyway, shocking tempo

Messi unlocks the defence. Nice finish by Molina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The game desperately needed a goal so hopefully it will liven up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

There are slide rule passes, and there’s that. What a player Messi is. Could watch him forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Messi Magic the inspiration for that goal!

If ever a game needed a goal

He took it well in fairness, lovely ball by Messi

God can you imagine a Croatia-Morocco final? As Frankie Boyle said of some event involving Gordon Brown, "so boring it would break time"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The little dink by Messi before the pass was lovely, let alone the actual pass. He's having a very good tournament.

Up to Holland to come out now and attack Argentina. Which might suit Argentina as they can be stodgy and stick and defend and kick and break the game up.

Thanks for that useless piece of pre-match trivia Darragh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Someone tell Darragh Maloney that Brian McFadden and singing shouldn't be in the same sentence 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

The greatest goalscorer ever and the greatest passer ever. He's just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ref not shy in dishing out the cards. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a sending off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Messi confirming the Ref. got the cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

As a Betis fan I know all about La Hoz, he's an awful ref and always looks to be the protagonist in every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Argentina are really turgid to watch.

If they didnt have Messi they would be on a par with the likes of Wales or Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

What is Maloney on? A couple of mins after an excellent Gapko free kick they win another one and said surely they will change it up and let Blind take this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭CptMonkey

Does he always hand out so many to the people on the side lines? It’s crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Worst Dutch team ever?

Worst Argie team ever?

Could be.

As for Brazil, for all the raving the media were doing about them, if their main no9 is Richarlison, you'd have to say it might be Worst Brazil team ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ronaldo and Neymar have such similar ugly characteristics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The standard of international football in general is pretty poor.

The favouritism towards Messi in this tournament from the officials has been scandalous.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Should have had been a yellow for Messi with that handball. Brazilian manager gone is no surprise. Argentina manager may go if they lose but do not seeing Van Gaal going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Stupid tackle by van dyke. Might be punished

• Advertisement

Messi so close with that free kick. Not far over.

do not seeing Van Gaal going

Is this not likely to be his last hurrah given his health issues? Presumably Dutch FA would allow him to choreograph his own departure but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That lying under the wall is the most annoying tactical fad in modern soccer.

I don't ever remember Beckham, Juninho or any of the other great free-kick takers scoring a freekick by going under the wall. Once in a blue moon stuff to be legislating for.

Must be in the uefa manual they all use for their coaching badges.

It is for sure.

And the reason why we are seeing shocks in this wc. Its time teams stopped being afraid of a big name. Big names mean nothing nowadays, everyone is beatable.

They are talking about 100m for Gakpo. They're having a laugh surely.

I think the practice should be outlawed. It's allowing a second 'wall' of defence for the team that just committed a foul, and it takes away an attacking option from the team that's just been fouled.

Peno to Argentina. This could be game over.

Messi scores it. Tough to see a way back for the Dutch now.

Did he catch the Argentinian?

Keeper dumbfounded. Messi scores. 2-0. Hard to see the Dutch coming back from this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement