Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze - Dec 2022

Options
  • 09-12-2022 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭

How are ye coping with these sub-zero conditions?

I had to draw water in old milk churns as it never thawed at all today. I put a new drinking trough at the front south of the shed this year so it would thaw during the day but no luck today.

I had the tractor topped up with anti-freeze and power washers / sprayers all drained in advance, so fingers crossed. According to Windy.com, the wind is coming from the Artic and down along over Norway. Will go on for a few days. Stay warm folks.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Would boiling water not thaw out your water troughs/drinkers.

Its not going to be anything to compare with 2010 looking at the forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

Soon as the cold kicks in my back takes bad, always the same. I can see snow on hilltops 25 miles away, I hope that's as close as it gets. At least the ground is drying up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I didn't think it was to bad, bit of white frost out and not much of a thaw during the day, but thankfully it hasn't been that bad, I still have a few cattle out (as I am sorting out a shed for them, they will be in it middle of next week) but they were all happy out this morning lying at the butt of the ditch and arent to hard on the bale in the feeder either.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ESetter

How long will cattle on silage do without water. Pipes frozen solid here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We had 3 or 4 garden hoses linked to draw water from the boiler house to troughs at the feed barriers the last time we had a big freeze up. Hoses were drained, rolled up and left in the front porch until needed again. Needs must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wrapped up the external water tank, (it's a spare source for the shed), wrapped up the internal shed tank, 2 blue barrels, salted the path to shed, a few extra bales brought in to yard and thankful that its not raining. Anti freeze and new batteries.

All handy stuff but it is cold but handy weather.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Once it thaws before sat week so I can wash the tractor for the Christmas run I'll be sound

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Id be tempted to put a group out, they are only in a week, there is one heifer in the group she puts her forehead against a post and will push til it breaks or goes down, so easier to have them in. She is a pure rooter and I'd call her out on it but she'd say the same about me, so we'll say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My pipe run at the moment is too long to thaw with a kettle. Must do a better job on it.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Buried pipes is the only job, just a Tee up out of the ground to the trough then having that vertical pipe insulated.

• Advertisement

Roads are going to be fun, slid a couple of times on the way home. Blast of snow on the mountains this afternoon but 95%+ melted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anyone have one of these or similar down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Drinkers starting to freeze here in sheds. Only saviour here is 20%dm pit silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The traditional half round galvanised drinking bowl with the adjustable plastic float are brilliant in weather like this.adjust your float late in the evening so shes trickling all night & when temps rise above freezing in daylight readjust float.

It wont fill your tank with this trickle or cost a fortune in water either, this way you've a bit less nuisance by keeping water thawed. Some lads seemed to have issue's with these drinkers in the past, why I'm not sure, no other type of drinker here going back 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

have about 2000 litres of water pumped into the cattle drinkers since 4pm and a couple of hundred bucketed to sheep

theyre on baled silage and its fairly dry

we had a by pass system going in 2010 which we connected a few times during the day and then blow out with a compressor

will check forecaST to morrow and decide

we were busy at different things and kinda got caughgt off guard to day the main feed must be frozen under concrete some where

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Have 20 odd bullocks out...bales in a round feeder....they love it....ground is rock hard....im out with the sledge smashing ice in the water troughs....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I'm finding the small plastic jfc type are not freezing. The galvanized type are freezing quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Just back in from the shed after doing exactly this - thanks for the reminder!

Was lucky enough that temp went slightly above 0 for an hour this afternoon and managed to get three drinkers back. Hopefully they'll stay going now

Mine are drinking from a river so are OK. If that freezes over then alot of ye are in bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The problem with them was they had a tenancy to stay trickling without any need to adjust them and end up flooding the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Horrid things, never again will one go into my sheds! the steel is so thin in them if a cow farts against them they rip the bolts through the back plate and then they leak.

Spent the last two years changing them over for plastic ones. Zero hassles with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Can’t get the stopper to push in on the tractor? Hardly frozen?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Makes no difference if it's minus 5 or minus 10. Minus is Minus.

But for the posterity it's forecasted to be minus 10 on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Quite possible. It's a cable on 390's

A jug of hot water or else disconnect it at the pump to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Ah it does make a difference, in terms of how much the frost penetrates.

We're OK here usually with pipes etc down to about -6C. I'm a bit worried that the shed feed froze fully the first night of this spell.

And we've a week at least of it to go.

Looks like we might stay above it here if we're lucky, has to be some compensation for all the wind & rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

It's grand here no frost at all last night

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Nasty frost here in west clare last night, we had a drop of rain at some point which has made every surface leathal. Warming up this morning but not a day for driving.

Plus I've got a head flu and chest cough that I can't shake off with the last week. 7 days I've had it now and still have the headache. Can't go nowhere for fear I get a fit of coughing that I can't control :(

Post edited by Silverdream on

• Advertisement

Yeah I have something myself. Not sick or anything just head feels off.....more than the usual I should add

Advertisement